Remind me

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Remind me

Curt Carpenter
What's the equivalent Lua idiom for C's ? : operator(s)? Obviously I
could do it with a function, but that seems a little heavy-weight.

Example: Simplify the following:
    print("Is today Sunday? " .. (function (dow) if dow == 0 then return
"yes" else return "no" end end) (0))

Thanks,

Curt


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Remind me

Reuben Thomas-5
>     print("Is today Sunday? " .. (function (dow) if dow == 0 then return
> "yes" else return "no" end end) (0))

print ("Is today Sunday? " .. (function (dow) return dow == 0 and "yes" or
"no" end) (0))

-- 
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/ | The only person worth beating is yourself

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Remind me

Nick Trout
In reply to this post by Curt Carpenter

> dow = true
> print("Is today Sunday? ", dow and "yes" or "no")
Is today Sunday?        yes
> dow = false
> print("Is today Sunday? ", dow and "yes" or "no")
Is today Sunday?        no
>


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Curt Carpenter [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 4:45 PM
> To: Lua list
> Subject: Remind me
> 
> What's the equivalent Lua idiom for C's ? : operator(s)? Obviously I
> could do it with a function, but that seems a little heavy-weight.
> 
> Example: Simplify the following:
>     print("Is today Sunday? " .. (function (dow) if dow == 0 then
return
> "yes" else return "no" end end) (0))
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Curt


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Remind me

Bilyk, Alex
In reply to this post by Curt Carpenter
In other words 

C    --> CONDITION ? X : Y
Lua --> CONDITION and X or Y

AB



-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Trout [[hidden email]]
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 4:49 PM
To: Lua list
Subject: RE: Remind me


> dow = true
> print("Is today Sunday? ", dow and "yes" or "no")
Is today Sunday?        yes
> dow = false
> print("Is today Sunday? ", dow and "yes" or "no")
Is today Sunday?        no
>


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Curt Carpenter [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 4:45 PM
> To: Lua list
> Subject: Remind me
>
> What's the equivalent Lua idiom for C's ? : operator(s)? Obviously I
> could do it with a function, but that seems a little heavy-weight.
>
> Example: Simplify the following:
>     print("Is today Sunday? " .. (function (dow) if dow == 0 then
return
> "yes" else return "no" end end) (0))
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curt


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Remind me

Philipp Janda
Am 18.10.03 02:28 schröbte Bilyk, Alex:
In other words
C    --> CONDITION ? X : Y
Lua --> CONDITION and X or Y

But be careful! It doesn't work if X has a false value:

local boolvar = true
print( "(not boolvar) is:", boolvar and false or true )
boolvar = false
print( "(not boolvar) is:", boolvar and false or true )

prints "(not boolvar) is:   true" in both cases.



AB


Philipp