Readline support

Reuben Thomas-5
I notice that Sean Bolton has updated Mike Pall's patch
(http://luajit.org/patches/lua-5.2.0-advanced_readline.patch), and it
seems to be a superset of my readline "save history" patch
(http://lua-users.org/files/wiki_insecure/power_patches/5.2/lua-5.2.0-save_readline_history.patch)
plus my version of rlcompleter
(https://github.com/rrthomas/lua-rlcompleter).

Would anyone mind if I withdrew my patch and version of rlcompleter in
favour of this patch? I'd rather spend my effort where it's needed,
and this seems like unnecessary duplication to me.

http://rrt.sc3d.org

Re: Readline support

Sean Bolton-2
On Jan 6, 2012, at 3:35 PM, Reuben Thomas wrote:

> I notice that Sean Bolton has updated Mike Pall's patch
> (http://luajit.org/patches/lua-5.2.0-advanced_readline.patch), and it
> seems to be a superset of my readline "save history" patch
> (http://lua-users.org/files/wiki_insecure/power_patches/5.2/lua-5.2.0-save_readline_history.patch)
> plus my version of rlcompleter
> (https://github.com/rrthomas/lua-rlcompleter).
>
> Would anyone mind if I withdrew my patch and version of rlcompleter in
> favour of this patch? I'd rather spend my effort where it's needed,
> and this seems like unnecessary duplication to me.

Hi Reuben,

I agree your "save history" patch seems like unnecessary duplication.  On the other hand, rlcompleter differs from Mike's patch (which I am now maintaining) in two important ways:

- With rlcompleter, one can supply a custom completion function. Mike's patch doesn't provide this ability, though it wouldn't be too hard to add it.

- rlcompleter is a module, so it can be used with a stock lua binary.  Mike's patch adds the completion and save history to the lua binary itself (which I like because I can easily change my LUA_PATH/LUA_CPATH and still have completion.)

So far, Mike's patch is all I've ever needed, but it's nice to know rlcompleter is out there.

-Sean

Re: Readline support

Reuben Thomas-5
On 7 January 2012 08:30, Sean Bolton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree your "save history" patch seems like unnecessary
> duplication.  On the other hand, rlcompleter differs from
> Mike's patch (which I am now maintaining) in two important
> ways:

In that case, would you be prepared to split Mike's patch into a save
history patch and a completion patch? Otherwise, those who want to use
rlcompleter can't get saved history (or if rlcompleter is compatible
with Mike's patch, they might still quite reasonably not want a patch
much of which they don't use).

Then we'd have one save history patch and two complementary completion
methods (one a patch, one a module), which would still be a definite
improvement on the current situation.

http://rrt.sc3d.org

Re: Readline support

Mike Pall-35
Reuben Thomas wrote:

> On 7 January 2012 08:30, Sean Bolton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I agree your "save history" patch seems like unnecessary
> > duplication.  On the other hand, rlcompleter differs from
> > Mike's patch (which I am now maintaining) in two important
> > ways:
>
> In that case, would you be prepared to split Mike's patch into a save
> history patch and a completion patch? Otherwise, those who want to use
> rlcompleter can't get saved history (or if rlcompleter is compatible
> with Mike's patch, they might still quite reasonably not want a patch
> much of which they don't use).
>
> Then we'd have one save history patch and two complementary completion
> methods (one a patch, one a module), which would still be a definite
> improvement on the current situation.

Umm, isn't this overdoing things a bit? I mean, the patches I'm
hosting have seen only around 50 downloads (excluding bots) in
December 2011, despite the recent announcement on the mailing
list. It's very kind of Sean to still maintain them, but I really
wouldn't put too much extra effort into this.

--Mike

Re: Readline support

Reuben Thomas-5
On 7 January 2012 12:55, Mike Pall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Umm, isn't this overdoing things a bit? I mean, the patches I'm
> hosting have seen only around 50 downloads (excluding bots) in
> December 2011, despite the recent announcement on the mailing
> list. It's very kind of Sean to still maintain them, but I really
> wouldn't put too much extra effort into this.

Thanks for that perspective. If they're really so little-used, it
indeed seems silly to put more effort in. I'll look into whether I, at
least, can happily use your/Sean's patch, and if so, I'll withdraw
mine, and see if anyone who wants to use rlcompleter complains.

http://rrt.sc3d.org

Re: Readline support

Reuben Thomas-5
On 7 January 2012 12:58, Reuben Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7 January 2012 12:55, Mike Pall <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Umm, isn't this overdoing things a bit? I mean, the patches I'm
>> hosting have seen only around 50 downloads (excluding bots) in
>> December 2011, despite the recent announcement on the mailing
>> list. It's very kind of Sean to still maintain them, but I really
>> wouldn't put too much extra effort into this.
>
> Thanks for that perspective. If they're really so little-used, it
> indeed seems silly to put more effort in. I'll look into whether I, at
> least, can happily use your/Sean's patch, and if so, I'll withdraw
> mine, and see if anyone who wants to use rlcompleter complains.

I (finally!) confirm that I can happily use your patch, and I've withdrawn mine.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org