Re: request for interest/participants: another lua C++ binding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: request for interest/participants: another lua C++ binding

Robert Osfield
Hi Oliver et al,

I've just joined the lua mailing list, but looking at the achive of
the list found this thread (request for interest/participants: another
lua C++ binding) particularily relevant to my own needs, so I would
like to revive it.

Like many others I'm looking to integrating C++ and Lua, and would
love a clean, cross platform route for doing it.   As Oliver's intro
to this thread mentions there are number of alternatives, they all go
some of the way, but all fall short in various aspects.  From my own
experiences just getting them to compile was hassle enough.

So I was wondering Oliver how you had got on since the beginning of the month?

This afternoon I've been looking at Fusion, and infact my subversion
checkout of emma3d has been ongoing practically all afternoon...  At
least fusion is already checked out enough for me to have a look.
I've built a unix makefile and have proceeded to try and get it to
compile under Linux (Suse 10.0, 64bit), and it kinda feels like I'm
the first person to try and compile under Linux cause there is lots of
non portable code still left to work around.  Still its not so much
code that it shouldn't be too difficult to get working, but perhaps
not this afternoon.

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom,
Robert.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: request for interest/participants: another lua C++ binding

Chris Marrin
Robert Osfield wrote:

> Hi Oliver et al,
>
> I've just joined the lua mailing list, but looking at the achive of
> the list found this thread (request for interest/participants: another
> lua C++ binding) particularily relevant to my own needs, so I would
> like to revive it.
>
> Like many others I'm looking to integrating C++ and Lua, and would
> love a clean, cross platform route for doing it.   As Oliver's intro
> to this thread mentions there are number of alternatives, they all go
> some of the way, but all fall short in various aspects.  From my own
> experiences just getting them to compile was hassle enough.
>
> So I was wondering Oliver how you had got on since the beginning of the
> month?
>
> This afternoon I've been looking at Fusion, and infact my subversion
> checkout of emma3d has been ongoing practically all afternoon...  At
> least fusion is already checked out enough for me to have a look. I've
> built a unix makefile and have proceeded to try and get it to
> compile under Linux (Suse 10.0, 64bit), and it kinda feels like I'm
> the first person to try and compile under Linux cause there is lots of
> non portable code still left to work around.  Still its not so much
> code that it shouldn't be too difficult to get working, but perhaps
> not this afternoon.

Yes, unfortunately we never did get to the Linux build. The company that
was funding us has cancelled the project, so work on Fusion is likely to
  slow down. But I am going to work for Apple, which means I will be
getting a new Intel based Mac, which mean I will be able to boot MacOS
and WinXP and Linux on the box. So I will be able to get it building on
all three OS's one one box!

Stay tuned!

--
chris marrin              ,""$, "As a general rule,don't solve puzzles
[hidden email]        b`    $  that open portals to Hell" ,,.
         ,.`           ,b`    ,`                            , 1$'
      ,|`             mP    ,`                              :$$'     ,mm
    ,b"              b"   ,`            ,mm      m$$    ,m         ,`P$$
   m$`             ,b`  .` ,mm        ,'|$P   ,|"1$`  ,b$P       ,`  :$1
  b$`             ,$: :,`` |$$      ,`   $$` ,|` ,$$,,`"$$     .`    :$|
b$|            _m$`,:`    :$1   ,`     ,$Pm|`    `    :$$,..;"'     |$:
P$b,      _;b$$b$1"       |$$ ,`      ,$$"             ``'          $$
  ```"```'"    `"`         `""`        ""`                          ,P`
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: request for interest/participants: another lua C++ binding

Oliver Schoenborn-2
In reply to this post by Robert Osfield
Robert Osfield wrote:
> Like many others I'm looking to integrating C++ and Lua, and would
> love a clean, cross platform route for doing it.   As Oliver's intro
> to this thread mentions there are number of alternatives, they all go
> some of the way, but all fall short in various aspects.  From my own
> experiences just getting them to compile was hassle enough.
>
>  
Hi Robert, it would sure be helpful to get a quick list of those
shortcomings, from *your* point of view.
> So I was wondering Oliver how you had got on since the beginning of the month?
>  

I'm still in the early stages: I'm gathering data (slowly - basically
seeing what's the best of each of the packages I mentioned in my first
email), I'm weighing different alternative idioms for expressing
argument passing/return values/access/creation/extension, and I have a
simple lua interpreter wrapper.  Unfortunately not much you could use
right now. But I welcome any and all participants. The developer of
CppLua has expressed interest but nothing has come of that yet. I'd like
to hear what you find about Fusion.

Cheers,
Oliver


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: request for interest/participants: another lua C++ binding

Robert Osfield
In reply to this post by Chris Marrin
Hi Lua,

On 4/28/06, Chris Marrin <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Still its not so much
> > code that it shouldn't be too difficult to get working, but perhaps
> > not this afternoon.
>
> Yes, unfortunately we never did get to the Linux build. The company that
> was funding us has cancelled the project, so work on Fusion is likely to
>   slow down. But I am going to work for Apple, which means I will be
> getting a new Intel based Mac, which mean I will be able to boot MacOS
> and WinXP and Linux on the box. So I will be able to get it building on
> all three OS's one one box!
>
> Stay tuned!

Sorry to hear about the project cancellation.  Still working for apple
shouldn't be too bad :-)

Let me know how you get on under Linux, and ping me if you want stuff
tested, suggestion for build - I do most of my dev under Linux, but
write/manage a software project that is cross platform.  BTW, it'd be
useful to extract Fusion from the rest of the Emma3D repository as the
later is huge, and the former small.

Robert.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: request for interest/participants: another lua C++ binding

Robert Osfield
In reply to this post by Oliver Schoenborn-2
Hi Olive,

On 4/29/06, Oliver Schoenborn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Robert, it would sure be helpful to get a quick list of those
> shortcomings, from *your* point of view.

The key shortcomming was not being able to get things to compile out
of the bag on a standard platform.  Its over six weeks since I did my
assult on the topic so I'm a bit cold on it.  Through this month I'll
be putting in quite a few hours on the topic so will be able to
interact a bit more productively as time goes on.

> > So I was wondering Oliver how you had got on since the beginning of the month?
> >
>
> I'm still in the early stages: I'm gathering data (slowly - basically
> seeing what's the best of each of the packages I mentioned in my first
> email), I'm weighing different alternative idioms for expressing
> argument passing/return values/access/creation/extension, and I have a
> simple lua interpreter wrapper.  Unfortunately not much you could use
> right now. But I welcome any and all participants. The developer of
> CppLua has expressed interest but nothing has come of that yet. I'd like
> to hear what you find about Fusion.

Fusion is yet portable enough to test on my dev platform (Linux) so
things have stalled a bit there.   Fusion goes for the intrusive
approach to Lua/C++ integration i..e you subclass from   base classes
that provide the integration.  It would be nice to have a non
intrusive approach to integration so we can wrap 3rdParty libraries
that know nothing about the wrapping tool/classes.

One approach I'm considering is to use C++ introspection support to
get the class interfaces and wrap this with some Lua/C++ glue code.
The project that I lead, the OpenSceneGraph, has its own introspection
support as an add-on library (osgIntrospection), so it fits the non
intrusive requirement.

I haven't yet looked at integration osgIntrospection and lua, but this
may actually be the most productive route.  The introspection support
in the OSG can work on non OSG based codes, at least that's the
theory, we have yet to test it yet :)

My plan is learn about how to go about C++ and Lua integration, and
leverage as much of the existing tools or knowledge rather than invent
yet another wheel.

Robert.