Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> Why hasn't there been a forum set up to host all this info and discussion?

There is a Lua forum with subcategories at
	http://www.icynorth.com/forums/index.php?c=8

but the mailing list remains the main focal point of the Lua community.

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

David Given
George Petsagourakis wrote:
[...]
> Why hasn't there been a forum set up to host all this info and discussion?
> There are certainly more abilities for the posters and nothing less than the
> mailing list,..

Please, no! No no no no no! Forums are awful --- they're slow, clunky,
dreadful from a usability issue, they force your users to go and get the
messages rather than delivering them to your users' inboxes...

If you absolutely must have a webforum-like interface, then try checking out
the GMANE gateway to the mailing list:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general

But please, let's keep the mailing list!

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
|  [hidden email]    | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
| ([hidden email]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Alex Queiroz
Hallo,

On 9/17/06, George Petsagourakis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why hasn't there been a forum set up to host all this info and discussion?
There are certainly more abilities for the posters and nothing less than the
mailing list,..

    I don't want to have to go to a web page and browse 100
subcategories to read what's being discussed about Lua. The mailing
list is perfectly fine.

--
-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

D Burgess-4
Can't help but agree.

DB

David Given wrote:
George Petsagourakis wrote:
[...]
> Why hasn't there been a forum set up to host all this info and discussion?
> There are certainly more abilities for the posters and nothing less than the
> mailing list,..

Please, no! No no no no no! Forums are awful --- they're slow, clunky,
dreadful from a usability issue, they force your users to go and get the
messages rather than delivering them to your users' inboxes...

If you absolutely must have a webforum-like interface, then try checking out
the GMANE gateway to the mailing list:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general

But please, let's keep the mailing list!

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
|  [hidden email]    | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
| ([hidden email]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Raymond Jacobs
I couldn't agree more about lua using a forum, I use forums everyday
(such as gamedev.net) and find them much easier than the mailing list.

I don't particularly like my e-mail account recording all of the lua
list interactions, it seems like a waste, since the majority of things
I cannot answer and or aren't usefull to me which I just need to
delete out of my inbox.

It would be better just to log onto the lua forums, go into a specific
category, and just browse what problems people are having, answer
some, or post one of your own.

plus, the ability to do a keyword search on existing topics allows you
to easily seek already asked knowledge, I'm sure there is a way to do
that with the mailing list, but I couldn't tell you how.

As for the icy north forums, I wen't there first before joining the
list, the lua area on those forums are dead, lua needs a well
advertized dedicated user forum.

I was both suprised and annoyed to find that lua doesn't have a forum,
since it seems to be the de-facto for many other libraries.

-Raymond Jacobs
Owner,
Ethereal Darkness Interactive

On 9/17/06, D Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't help but agree.

DB

David Given wrote:
> George Petsagourakis wrote:
> [...]
> > Why hasn't there been a forum set up to host all this info and discussion?
> > There are certainly more abilities for the posters and nothing less than the
> > mailing list,..
>
> Please, no! No no no no no! Forums are awful --- they're slow, clunky,
> dreadful from a usability issue, they force your users to go and get the
> messages rather than delivering them to your users' inboxes...
>
> If you absolutely must have a webforum-like interface, then try checking out
> the GMANE gateway to the mailing list:
>
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general
>
> But please, let's keep the mailing list!
>
> --
> +- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
> |  [hidden email]    | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
> | ([hidden email]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
> +- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

RE: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Thiago Bastos-2
Yes I also agree. Forums are harder to maintain and keep-track of (I'm an
administrator of a large forum myself).

But I don't think anyone here needs to worry; I can hardly imagine Roberto
or Luiz using a web-based forum... hehe

PS: I believe the forum would indeed attract much more audience than the
list, but I don't think that would do much good for the project. Something
smaller and more select is certainly fitter.

-- Thiago

> Can't help but agree.
>
> DB
>
> David Given wrote:
> > George Petsagourakis wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Why hasn't there been a forum set up to host all this info and
> discussion?
> > > There are certainly more abilities for the posters and nothing less
> than the
> > > mailing list,..
> >
> > Please, no! No no no no no! Forums are awful --- they're slow, clunky,
> > dreadful from a usability issue, they force your users to go and get the
> > messages rather than delivering them to your users' inboxes...
> >
> > If you absolutely must have a webforum-like interface, then try checking
> out
> > the GMANE gateway to the mailing list:
> >
> > http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general
> >
> > But please, let's keep the mailing list!
> >
> > --
> > +- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single obling socket was
> > |  [hidden email]    | scintillating, many fauceted scarlet emerald..."
> > | ([hidden email]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye of Argon_ (spelling
> > +- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

nusret-2
I vote for a forum and shutting down the mailing list.

Regards,

Nusret

--- Raymond Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I couldn't agree more about lua using a forum, I use
> forums everyday
> (such as gamedev.net) and find them much easier than
> the mailing list.
>
> I don't particularly like my e-mail account
> recording all of the lua
> list interactions, it seems like a waste, since the
> majority of things
> I cannot answer and or aren't usefull to me which I
> just need to
> delete out of my inbox.
>
> It would be better just to log onto the lua forums,
> go into a specific
> category, and just browse what problems people are
> having, answer
> some, or post one of your own.
>
> plus, the ability to do a keyword search on existing
> topics allows you
> to easily seek already asked knowledge, I'm sure
> there is a way to do
> that with the mailing list, but I couldn't tell you
> how.
>
> As for the icy north forums, I wen't there first
> before joining the
> list, the lua area on those forums are dead, lua
> needs a well
> advertized dedicated user forum.
>
> I was both suprised and annoyed to find that lua
> doesn't have a forum,
> since it seems to be the de-facto for many other
> libraries.
>
> -Raymond Jacobs
> Owner,
> Ethereal Darkness Interactive
>

> On 9/17/06, D Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Can't help but agree.
> >
> > DB
> >
> > David Given wrote:
> > > George Petsagourakis wrote:
> > > [...]
> all this info and discussion?
> posters and nothing less than the
> > >
> > > Please, no! No no no no no! Forums are awful ---
> they're slow, clunky,
> > > dreadful from a usability issue, they force your
> users to go and get the
> > > messages rather than delivering them to your
> users' inboxes...
> > >
> > > If you absolutely must have a webforum-like
> interface, then try checking out
> > > the GMANE gateway to the mailing list:
> > >

> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general
> > >
> > > But please, let's keep the mailing list!
> > >
> > > --
> > > +- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single
> obling socket was
> fauceted scarlet emerald..."
> of Argon_ (spelling
> > > +- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Peter Loveday-2
Please, no! No no no no no! Forums are awful --- they're slow, clunky,
dreadful from a usability issue, they force your users to go and get the
messages rather than delivering them to your users' inboxes...

Not if the forum is in Lua and served up in Xavante, even well written php
(http://www.usebb.net/) runs amazinly fast for the web,... :)
Forums have evolved much from what you describe,.. RSS feeds take the messages
to you nowadays :)

Thats all probably true; but RSS is pretty tedious for that kind of thing. *iff* the forum has a means of delivering every message (and I mean every message, not just threads I started or subscribed to) to my email to be sorted along with everything else I subscribe to, *and* allow posts from me by simply replying to those emails, then I possibly wouldn't mind. Yahoo/Google group style things can do this, but they have their own set of issues.

I'm not particularly in favour of fracturing the lua community, but would be even less in favour of 'replacing' the list with a forum. If it must happen, keep it parallel like with the current icynorth one.

My vote would definitely be No.

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Graham Wakefield
I vote against, if it's a vote.

David Given wrote:
George Petsagourakis wrote:
[...]
Why hasn't there been a forum set up to host
all this info and discussion?
There are certainly more abilities for the
posters and nothing less than the
mailing list,..

Please, no! No no no no no! Forums are awful ---
they're slow, clunky,
dreadful from a usability issue, they force your
users to go and get the
messages rather than delivering them to your
users' inboxes...

If you absolutely must have a webforum-like
interface, then try checking out
the GMANE gateway to the mailing list:

http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general

But please, let's keep the mailing list!

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "Gaping from its single
obling socket was
|  [hidden email]    | scintillating, many
fauceted scarlet emerald..."
| ([hidden email]) | --- Jim Theis, _The Eye
of Argon_ (spelling
+- www.cowlark.com --+ original)

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Martin Schröder-2
2006/9/18, nusret <[hidden email]>:
I vote for a forum and shutting down the mailing list.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Forums are broken.

Best
  Martin

PS: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

D Burgess-4
In case I was unclear, I was expressing my agreement with David
Given. I hate forums. The list has been demonstrably successful.

DB

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Sunday 17 September 2006 4:32 pm, Alex Queiroz wrote:
>      I don't want to have to go to a web page and browse 100
> subcategories to read what's being discussed about Lua. The mailing
> list is perfectly fine.

wholeheartedly agree

--
Javier

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

David Olofson
On Monday 18 September 2006 02:32, Javier Guerra wrote:
> On Sunday 17 September 2006 4:32 pm, Alex Queiroz wrote:
> >      I don't want to have to go to a web page and browse 100
> > subcategories to read what's being discussed about Lua. The
> > mailing list is perfectly fine.
>
> wholeheartedly agree

"Me too."

Though forums have their advantages for some types of discussion, I
find those irrelevant next to the disadvantages. I find web based
forums in general frustratingly slow and ineffective, in terms of
navigation as well as server response times. Unless the topics are
*extremely* interesting, I just won't tolerate it if the server has
this too common habit of taking a coffee break every other time I
click something. I can't stand anything that frequently takes more
than a second to respond to basic navigation operations.

I thought faster computers and faster connections would make things
faster and smoother - but I guess I was wrong...

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |
|     http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting         |
'--  http://www.reologica.se - Rheology instrumentation  --'

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

> If you absolutely must have a webforum-like interface, then try checking out
> the GMANE gateway to the mailing list:
> http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.lua.general

BTW, gmane.comp.lang.lua.general should now contain the complete lua-l
archives. (Thanks to Philippe Lhoste for pointing it out to us.)

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

nusret-2
Principle of inertia in action :)...

Both are fine AFAIC: I just like forums better, and so
expressed my opinion.
Regards.

--- Martin Schröder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2006/9/18, nusret <[hidden email]>:
> > I vote for a forum and shutting down the mailing
> list.
>
> If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
>
> Forums are broken.
>
> Best
>    Martin
>
> PS: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Gunnar Zötl
> I couldn't agree more about lua using a forum, I use forums everyday
> (such as gamedev.net) and find them much easier than the mailing list.

I don't. I actually find forums rather weird to read, as they usually don't have proper threading support, and also lack some other features a proper mail client offers.

Of course, this is just me, but I also feel that having a mailing list keeps the noise down (apart from the reoccurring "Why isn't there a forum" and "Lua needs to be more like C/Lisp/Perl/APL/Intercal/IYFL" discussions... ;-).

Gunnar

Re: Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Andy Jones
Please don't remove the mailing list!

On 9/18/06, "Gunnar Zötl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I couldn't agree more about lua using a forum, I use forums everyday
> (such as gamedev.net) and find them much easier than the mailing list.

I don't. I actually find forums rather weird to read, as they usually don't have proper threading support, and also lack some other features a proper mail client offers.

Of course, this is just me, but I also feel that having a mailing list keeps the noise down (apart from the reoccurring "Why isn't there a forum" and "Lua needs to be more like C/Lisp/Perl/APL/Intercal/IYFL" discussions... ;-).

Gunnar

--
It's Like This

Even the Samurai
Have teddy bears
And even the teddy bears
Get drunk

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Taco Hoekwater
Hi all,

Alex Queiroz wrote:

    I don't want to have to go to a web page and browse 100
subcategories to read what's being discussed about Lua. The mailing
list is perfectly fine.

I definately prefer a mailing list, but I do have a small request:
it would be nice if there was a subject_prefix defined.

I read many mailing lists and receive lots of spam as well,
and separating one from the other is problematic at times. If the
subjects would look like

  Re: [Lua] Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

that would help me a lot.

All the best, Taco

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> it would be nice if there was a subject_prefix defined.

For an argument against this, see
	http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/mailing-lists.html

The bottom line is to filter based on the To: header. (Or List-Id:.)

Re: Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?

Steve Heller
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:37:09 +0200, Taco Hoekwater
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Alex Queiroz wrote:
>>
>>     I don't want to have to go to a web page and browse 100
>> subcategories to read what's being discussed about Lua. The mailing
>> list is perfectly fine.
>
>I definately prefer a mailing list, but I do have a small request:
>it would be nice if there was a subject_prefix defined.
>
>I read many mailing lists and receive lots of spam as well,
>and separating one from the other is problematic at times. If the
>subjects would look like
>
>   Re: [Lua] Why doesn't the lua list get replaced with a forum ?
>
>that would help me a lot.

Same here.

Steve

1234