Re: [Portaudio] LUA ?

Adrian Sietsma
Hi All,

I'm looking for a lua binding to the portaudio library. I've googled around but couldn't find anything apart from a post by Mr. Adrian Sietsma ... is there an (un)official lua extension for portaudio?

Thanks,
Bert

Adrian here :)

I built a Lua 5.0 library to portaudio v18 about 12 months ago. It was a pretty smooth integration, and supported most PA functionality, including recording.

I'm happy to send you the code as-is, but
1/ It was only ever built on Windows,
2/ Documentation is scrappy (non-existant?),
3/ You will probably have to do a proper makefile (IIRC mine is hard-pathed all over the place),
4/ There is no libsndfile binding for reading audio files.

If you are prepared to have a go, let me know.
If _anyone_ is interested in using / *nixising / polishing / tidying / documenting PA Lua, I will start a LuaForge project for it, but I don't have the time to work on it myself at present.

Adrian Sietsma

(cross-posted to Lua list <[hidden email]> / Portaudio list <[hidden email]>)

Re: [Portaudio] LUA ?

bert-6
Hi Adrian,

I'd be happy to have a look at it and create a Makefile for it... I can test it on Win XP and Mac OSX 10.3.x here ..

Best regards,
Bert

Adrian Sietsma <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a lua binding to the portaudio library. I've googled
> around but couldn't find anything apart from a post by Mr. Adrian
> Sietsma ... is there an (un)official lua extension for portaudio?
>
> Thanks,
> Bert

Adrian here :)

I built a Lua 5.0 library to portaudio v18 about 12 months ago. It was a
pretty smooth integration, and supported most PA functionality, including
recording.

I'm happy to send you the code as-is, but
1/ It was only ever built on Windows,
2/ Documentation is scrappy (non-existant?),
3/ You will probably have to do a proper makefile (IIRC mine is hard-pathed
all over the place),
4/ There is no libsndfile binding for reading audio files.

If you are prepared to have a go, let me know.
If _anyone_ is interested in using / *nixising / polishing / tidying /
documenting PA Lua, I will start a LuaForge project for it, but I don't have
the time to work on it myself at present.

Adrian Sietsma

(cross-posted to Lua list / Portaudio list
)

Re: [Portaudio] LUA ?

bert-6
Hi Adrian,

another question : is it reliable to write sound processing code in LUA (i.e. call a LUA function from the Portaudio callback)? Not sure if the garbage collector would generate random clicks or pops in the audio stream when it takes too long.