Re:Memoizing a function.

Philippe Lhoste
Hello.

> This is my first stab at lua programming. And I have not studied the
> available documantation all that much. I wonder if there is an elegant
> way of of memoizing functions. My first try is this:

I have a slighly OT question...

It is not the first time I see "memoizing" (or variants, like "memoize").
As a non-native English speaker, I would rather use "memorizing" or
"memorize".
The Merriam-Webster dictionnary (www.m-w.com) doesn't seem to know this word
either. On-line technical dictionaries (I checked TechEncyclopedia,
Webopedia and WhatIs) ignore it too.
So, out of curiosity, is it:
- a common mistyping, like typing "your" instead of "you're"?
- a word so new that M-W doesn't know it yet?
- a computer science word, needing a good specialized dictionnary?

Regards.

--
--._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.·´¯`·._.--
Philippe Lhoste (Paris -- France)

Re: Re:Memoizing a function.

James Hearn
> Hello.
>
> > This is my first stab at lua programming. And I have not studied the
> > available documantation all that much. I wonder if there is an elegant
> > way of of memoizing functions. My first try is this:
>
> I have a slighly OT question...
>
> It is not the first time I see "memoizing" (or variants, like "memoize").
> As a non-native English speaker, I would rather use "memorizing" or
> "memorize".
> The Merriam-Webster dictionnary (www.m-w.com) doesn't seem to know this
word
> either. On-line technical dictionaries (I checked TechEncyclopedia,
> Webopedia and WhatIs) ignore it too.
> So, out of curiosity, is it:
> - a common mistyping, like typing "your" instead of "you're"?
> - a word so new that M-W doesn't know it yet?
> - a computer science word, needing a good specialized dictionnary?

I believe it is a computer science word. It appears in my (library) copy of
_Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs_, at least.

--James Hearn

Re:Memoizing a function.

Reuben Thomas-4
> - a computer science word, needing a good specialized dictionnary?

Yes, memoizing a function is standard computer science terminology (at
least, I've seen it in other CS contexts).

SV: Re:Memoizing a function.

rhq093
Memoize is often used within a CS context. It is one form of lazy
evaluation.

MvH Dan