Programming in Lua

indefatigable43
I'm investigating Lua and am gathering all the learning resources
that I can find. There is a link for a "new" book - Programming in
Lua on the Documentation page of Lua.org, but its a dead link. Does
anyone know where I can find that book?

I would be most grateful for any replies.

Best regards,

Joe

Re: Programming in Lua

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> There is a link for a "new" book - Programming in Lua on the
> Documentation page of Lua.org, but its a dead link.

The link is not dead; the server is... I hope it will be back soon
("soon" ~= tomorrow).

Re: Programming in Lua

indefatigable43
--- In lua-l@y..., Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@i...> wrote:

> The link is not dead; the server is... I hope it will be back soon
> ("soon" ~= tomorrow).
>
> -- Roberto

Roberto:

Thank you for your prompt and reply. I'm looking forward to reading
the book.

Best regards,

Joe

Re: Programming in Lua

indefatigable43
> > The link is not dead; the server is... I hope it will be back soon
> > ("soon" ~= tomorrow).
> >
> > -- Roberto
>
> Roberto:
>
> Thank you for your prompt and reply. I'm looking forward to reading
> the book.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Joe

Roberto:

The server is apparently up again as I have been able to download the
zip file. Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. I donwloaded
three times just to eliminate the possiblility of a problem on my
end. Still won't open.

I was wondering what program you recommend for opening this file in
Windows.

Thank you,

Joe

Re: Programming in Lua

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. [...] I was wondering
> what program you recommend for opening this file in Windows.

I know very little about Windows. But the file is in postscript, a format
that several printers should know how to print...

Re: Programming in Lua

David Anderson

I was wondering what program you recommend for opening this file in Windows.

Search the web for a program called Ghostview, it can show PostScript files, and also convert them to weird-windows-printer-language ;)

David Anderson

RE: Programming in Lua

Powers
Might try GSView.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Drew Powers

> Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. [...] I was wondering
> what program you recommend for opening this file in Windows.

I know very little about Windows. But the file is in postscript, a format
that several printers should know how to print...

Re: Programming in Lua

RLak

>> Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. [...] I was wondering
>> what program you recommend for opening this file in Windows.

> I know very little about Windows. But the file is in postscript, a format
> that several printers should know how to print...

Ahhh, ignorance is indeed bliss :)

I recommend ghostscript/GSview. You can download them from
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

I have found that GSview often renders Acrobat (pdf) files better than
Acrobat does, particularly if you set it to anti-alias.

Rici

Re: Programming in Lua

Mark Stroetzel Glasberg
> > Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. [...] I was wondering
> > what program you recommend for opening this file in Windows.

Use gsview for Windows.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/get43.htm

Regards,
Mark

--
|\/|ark Stroetzel Glasberg
[hidden email]

Computer Engineer

Tecgraf/PUC-Rio

Fax:  55 21 2259-2232

Re: Programming in Lua

Steve Dekorte-4

On Wednesday, October 9, 2002, at 02:00 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. [...] I was wondering
what program you recommend for opening this file in Windows.

This is just a suggestion, but moving any documentation in .ps format to .pdf format may help make it readable by more people since PS has become archaic since the introduction of PDF. Ghoscript comes with a utility to do this conversion.

Cheers,
Steve

RE: Programming in Lua

Pyrogon Public
There's also www.ps2pdf.com

Unfortunately rasterization from PS to "something else" inevitably looks
bad.  Doing things in native PDF form seems to be the de facto standard
I'm seeing these days.  PostScript has a redistributable "browseable"
format is fairly archaic.

Brian

Re: Programming in Lua

>The server is apparently up again as I have been able to download the
>zip file. Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. I donwloaded
>three times just to eliminate the possiblility of a problem on my
>end. Still won't open.
>
>I was wondering what program you recommend for opening this file in
>Windows.

Try RoPS at www.giant-technologies.com/rops/ . The demo version is very
light and easy to install. Too bad it's not free.

Re: Programming in Lua

indefatigable43
Thank you all very much for the wonderful suggestions. I'm a tad
embarassed to confess to you all that my problem was in the download.
I did it the 4th time and it worked fine. The document opened in
Ghostscript's viewer with no problems.

Now ... a word about the book.

"programming in Lua" is absolutely the most lucid introduction to a
programming language I've ever read. I got it to open ~ 5:20 EST, and
just put it down a few minutes ago. WONDERFUL stuff !!! Kudos to the
author and editors !!

Late last year, I bought a book of similar scope and purpose for
Python. Written by Ivan Van Laningham, published by SAMS. I paid $32
dollars for it, and it turned out to be a 484 page monument to the
author's vanity. Its goal was obviously to help the unwashed
multitude fully appreciate how smart the author was, and not to teach
anyone anything useful about Python. Dreadful bit of crap ...

It is from this experience that I downloaded and read the draft
of "Introduction to Lua". What a wonderful suprise. I got hooked on
the idea of Lua reading the reference manual (also well written), but
Programming in Lua truly "set the hook". I like this programming
language!

I look forward to learning more from this bright, lively and generous
user community.

Best regards,

Joe

--- In lua-l@y..., Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@t...> wrote:
> >The server is apparently up again as I have been able to download
the
> >zip file. Unfortunately, I can't open the temp.ps file. I
donwloaded
> >three times just to eliminate the possiblility of a problem on my
> >end. Still won't open.
> >
> >I was wondering what program you recommend for opening this file
in
> >Windows.
>
> Try RoPS at www.giant-technologies.com/rops/ . The demo version is
very
> light and easy to install. Too bad it's not free.
> --lhf

Re: Programming in Lua

David Cuny
David Anderson wrote:

> Search the web for a program called Ghostview, it can show PostScript
> files, and also convert them to weird-windows-printer-language ;)

The latest version of Ghostview (which is a frontend for GhostScript) has an
option for displaying text with much better antialiasing (smoothing) than
prior versions, so it's a lot easier to read the documents. It's not the
default option, so you'll need to hunt for it in the menus.

Still, you'll probably want to convert to PDF since it's easier to navigate -
most PostScript files can only be viewed in the forward direction via
GhostScript. Plus, PDF renders nicer on the Adobe viewer by default.

-- David Cuny

JLua

John D. Ramsdell-3
JLua is an incomplete implementation of Lua in Java similar to Jython
in need of help from volunteers.  You can find the sources at

    http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ramsdell/tools/

STATUS

The lexical scanner and the parser are fully functioning.  A past
version was able to correctly print Lua source from the syntax tree
produced by the parser.

The next milestone is to translate Lua into Java source code, write it
to disk, and then compile and load it.  The implementation uses flat
closures.  The variable binding analysis has been completed, however,
only some of the code generators are complete.  The parallel
assignment statement was the last focus of activity.

The final milestone is to translate Lua into Java Bytecode and load
them directly from memory.  In other words, the plan is to write the
translation of Lua functions in classfile format into byte arrays, and
then load them via a tailored classloader.  The particular way in
which Java source is produced for the previous milestone was selected
as it models the bytecode in memory generation model.

My current work responsibilities include no use for Lua, so I find it
hard to allocate time for this project.  This is the reason I am
seeking volunteers.

JLua is covered by the MIT License.  See

  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.html

Copyright (c) 2002 by John D. Ramsdell

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation
files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without
restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy,
modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies
of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be
included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN
ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.

John