Problem with luarocks unpack

Eduardo Ochs
Hi list,

ok, so Lua is a geek language with geek batteries, right? This means
that it should be easy to download and unpack the full source of any
given rock, right?...

I'm on Debian, and the version of the luarocks that comes with Debian
is 2.4.2 - see:

  https://packages.debian.org/sid/luarocks

There are some rocks that that version can't install. Just to cite an
obvious example, I tried to ask the luarocks from Debian to install
the most recent version of luarocks - some package managers are able
to do this - by doing:

  luarocks --local install luarocks

and I got these error messages:

  Installing https://luarocks.org/luarocks-3.2.1-1.src.rock
  Error: Rockspec format 3.0 is not supported, please upgrade LuaRocks.

So I tried to install a recent version of luarocks from the git repo.
Here's what I did:

  sudo apt-get remove luarocks

  # Clean all the stuff from previous uses of luarocks
  rm -Rfv ~/.cache/luarocks/
  rm -Rfv ~/.luarocks/

  cd      ~/usrc/
  git clone https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks
  cd      ~/usrc/luarocks/

  # Choose a version
  git branch --list -a
  git checkout 3.2.1
  git reset

  ./configure
  make
  sudo make install

  which luarocks
  luarocks --version

  rm -Rv /tmp/rock/
  mkdir  /tmp/rock/
  cd     /tmp/rock/
  luarocks unpack stacktraceplus
  # Output:
  # "Error: Failed copying unpacked rockspec into unpacked source directory."

I got the same error on several rocks. What I am doing wrong?
"luarocks unpack" is not well documented, so I am mostly guessing that
it is the right thing for downloading rock sources...

  Thanks in advance,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/dednat6.html
    http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2019.html
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev

Re: Problem with luarocks unpack

Ką Mykolas
Mhm.

Have You tried the following (sounds a bit more intuitive for me):

  $ luarocks download stacktraceplus
  $ luarocks unpack stacktraceplus

The biggest issue You're facing seems to be incompatibility between
Rockspec formats and Debian... not having a maintainer
who would be willing to update Luarocks package.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:46 PM Eduardo Ochs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> ok, so Lua is a geek language with geek batteries, right? This means
> that it should be easy to download and unpack the full source of any
> given rock, right?...
>
> I'm on Debian, and the version of the luarocks that comes with Debian
> is 2.4.2 - see:
>
>   https://packages.debian.org/sid/luarocks
>
> There are some rocks that that version can't install. Just to cite an
> obvious example, I tried to ask the luarocks from Debian to install
> the most recent version of luarocks - some package managers are able
> to do this - by doing:
>
>   luarocks --local install luarocks
>
> and I got these error messages:
>
>   Installing https://luarocks.org/luarocks-3.2.1-1.src.rock
>   Error: Rockspec format 3.0 is not supported, please upgrade LuaRocks.
>
> So I tried to install a recent version of luarocks from the git repo.
> Here's what I did:
>

>   sudo apt-get remove luarocks
>
>   # Clean all the stuff from previous uses of luarocks
>   rm -Rfv ~/.cache/luarocks/
>   rm -Rfv ~/.luarocks/
>
>   cd      ~/usrc/
>   git clone https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks
>   cd      ~/usrc/luarocks/
>
>   # Choose a version
>   git branch --list -a
>   git checkout 3.2.1
>   git reset
>
>   ./configure
>   make
>   sudo make install
>
>   which luarocks
>   luarocks --version
>
>   rm -Rv /tmp/rock/
>   mkdir  /tmp/rock/
>   cd     /tmp/rock/
>   luarocks unpack stacktraceplus
>   # Output:
>   # "Error: Failed copying unpacked rockspec into unpacked source directory."
>

> I got the same error on several rocks. What I am doing wrong?
> "luarocks unpack" is not well documented, so I am mostly guessing that
> it is the right thing for downloading rock sources...
>
>   Thanks in advance,
>     Eduardo Ochs
>     http://angg.twu.net/dednat6.html
>     http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2019.html
>     http://angg.twu.net/#eev

Re: Problem with luarocks unpack

Eduardo Ochs
Hi Ką,

You mean this?

  rm -Rv /tmp/rock/
  mkdir  /tmp/rock/
  cd     /tmp/rock/
  luarocks --verbose download stacktraceplus
  luarocks --verbose unpack   stacktraceplus

Same error, but the --verbose may help...

About updating the Debian package to 3.x:
  https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks/issues/1033

Cheers =(,

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 at 13:02, Ką Mykolas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mhm.
>
> Have You tried the following (sounds a bit more intuitive for me):
>
>   $ luarocks download stacktraceplus
>   $ luarocks unpack stacktraceplus
>
> The biggest issue You're facing seems to be incompatibility between
> Rockspec formats and Debian... not having a maintainer
> who would be willing to update Luarocks package.
>
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:46 PM Eduardo Ochs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > ok, so Lua is a geek language with geek batteries, right? This means
> > that it should be easy to download and unpack the full source of any
> > given rock, right?...
> >
> > I'm on Debian, and the version of the luarocks that comes with Debian
> > is 2.4.2 - see:
> >
> >   https://packages.debian.org/sid/luarocks
> >
> > There are some rocks that that version can't install. Just to cite an
> > obvious example, I tried to ask the luarocks from Debian to install
> > the most recent version of luarocks - some package managers are able
> > to do this - by doing:
> >
> >   luarocks --local install luarocks
> >
> > and I got these error messages:
> >
> >   Installing https://luarocks.org/luarocks-3.2.1-1.src.rock
> >   Error: Rockspec format 3.0 is not supported, please upgrade LuaRocks.
> >
> > So I tried to install a recent version of luarocks from the git repo.
> > Here's what I did:
> >

> >   sudo apt-get remove luarocks
> >
> >   # Clean all the stuff from previous uses of luarocks
> >   rm -Rfv ~/.cache/luarocks/
> >   rm -Rfv ~/.luarocks/
> >
> >   cd      ~/usrc/
> >   git clone https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks
> >   cd      ~/usrc/luarocks/
> >
> >   # Choose a version
> >   git branch --list -a
> >   git checkout 3.2.1
> >   git reset
> >
> >   ./configure
> >   make
> >   sudo make install
> >
> >   which luarocks
> >   luarocks --version
> >
> >   rm -Rv /tmp/rock/
> >   mkdir  /tmp/rock/
> >   cd     /tmp/rock/
> >   luarocks unpack stacktraceplus
> >   # Output:
> >   # "Error: Failed copying unpacked rockspec into unpacked source directory."
> >

> > I got the same error on several rocks. What I am doing wrong?
> > "luarocks unpack" is not well documented, so I am mostly guessing that
> > it is the right thing for downloading rock sources...
> >
> >   Thanks in advance,
> >     Eduardo Ochs
> >     http://angg.twu.net/dednat6.html
> >     http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2019.html
> >     http://angg.twu.net/#eev

Re: Problem with luarocks unpack

Ką Mykolas
hmmm...

  $ mkdir tree
  $  luarocks install --tree ./tree luarocks
  $ ./tree/bin/luarocks download stacktraceplus

or

 $ ./tree/bin/luarocs --tree ./tree download stacktraceplus

(not sure if You need to put the tree parameter here explicitly)

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 6:12 PM Eduardo Ochs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >   git clone https://github.com/luarocks/luarocks
> > >   cd      ~/usrc/luarocks/
> > >
> > >   # Choose a version
> > >   git branch --list -a
> > >   git checkout 3.2.1
> > >   git reset
> > >
> > >   ./configure
> > >   make
> > >   sudo make install
> > >
> > >   which luarocks
> > >   luarocks --version
> > >
> > >   rm -Rv /tmp/rock/
> > >   mkdir  /tmp/rock/
> > >   cd     /tmp/rock/
> > >   luarocks unpack stacktraceplus
> > >   # Output:
> > >   # "Error: Failed copying unpacked rockspec into unpacked source directory."
> > >

> > > I got the same error on several rocks. What I am doing wrong?
> > > "luarocks unpack" is not well documented, so I am mostly guessing that
> > > it is the right thing for downloading rock sources...

thanks -- I didn't know how to use "--tree", now I sort of do -- but
you forgot the "unpack" step...

Here are complete versions of your commands:

  # Version 1
  rm -Rv /tmp/rock/
  mkdir  /tmp/rock/
  cd     /tmp/rock/
  mkdir                   ./tree
  luarocks install --tree ./tree luarocks
  ./tree/bin/luarocks download stacktraceplus
  ./tree/bin/luarocks unpack   stacktraceplus

  # Version 2
  rm -Rv /tmp/rock/
  mkdir  /tmp/rock/
  cd     /tmp/rock/
  mkdir                      ./tree
  luarocks install    --tree ./tree luarocks
  ./tree/bin/luarocks --tree ./tree download stacktraceplus
  ./tree/bin/luarocks --tree ./tree unpack   stacktraceplus

I tested them with luarocks 2.4.2 (from Debian) and with luarocks
3.2.1 (from git). With 2.4.2 this step

  luarocks install    --tree ./tree luarocks

fails with:

  Error: Rockspec format 3.0 is not supported, please upgrade LuaRocks.

and with luarocks 3.2.1 that step works, but this one

  ./tree/bin/luarocks --tree ./tree unpack   stacktraceplus

fails with:

  Error: Failed copying unpacked rockspec into unpacked source directory.

My notes are here:

  http://angg.twu.net/e/lua5.e.html#luarocks-switch-version
  http://angg.twu.net/e/lua5.e.html#luarocks-tree