Problem editing the Wiki

Reuben Thomas-5
I just tried to edit my page (ReubenThomas) on the lua-users Wiki, but got
the error

  Software error:

  Could not get editing lock at (eval 8) line 765.

  For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([hidden email]),
  giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

when I pressed Save. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem?

BTW, the webmaster address should be updated to be more useful.

http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/ | egrep, n.  a bird that debugs bison

Re: Problem editing the Wiki

John Belmonte-2
Reuben Thomas wrote:
I just tried to edit my page (ReubenThomas) on the lua-users Wiki, but got
the error

  Software error:

  Could not get editing lock at (eval 8) line 765.

  For help, please send mail to the webmaster ([hidden email]),
  giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

when I pressed Save. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a problem?

This has been happening frequently these days, but I'm not sure of the cause. Usually it corrects itself after some time.

BTW, the webmaster address should be updated to be more useful.

The error message is being generated by the web server rather than the app, and unfortunately sourceforge doesn't give project admins a way to change the webmaster address.

-John

--
http:// if   le.o  /

Re: Problem editing the Wiki

Daniel Silverstone
On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 15:37, John Belmonte wrote:
> The error message is being generated by the web server rather than the
> app, and unfortunately sourceforge doesn't give project admins a way to
> change the webmaster address.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if someone will rewrite the
wiki in Lua (Aranha ideally) then I'll host lua-users.org quite happily.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone                       http://www.digital-scurf.org/
Hostmaster, Webmaster, and Chief Code Wibbler: Digital-Scurf Unlimited

Re: Problem editing the Wiki

John Belmonte-2
Daniel Silverstone wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again... if someone will rewrite the
wiki in Lua (Aranha ideally) then I'll host lua-users.org quite happily.

lua-users.org is not just the wiki. There is also the mailing list archive, and the potential for other services in the future.

What is the rationale behind "I'll host the site if the wiki gets rewritten in Lua"? The ml archive uses mhonarc for HTML conversion. Do you suggest to rewrite mhonarc in Lua too?

I think lua-users.org at sourceforge is working well enough and a move isn't worth the effort. But if the site was looking for a new home, it's best to choose somewhere that is 1) not likely to disappear in five or ten years and 2) puts the least constraints on software installation and configuration.

-John

--
http:// if   le.o  /

Re: Problem editing the Wiki

Daniel Silverstone
On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 19:31, John Belmonte wrote:
> lua-users.org is not just the wiki.  There is also the mailing list
> archive, and the potential for other services in the future.

Aye.

> What is the rationale behind "I'll host the site if the wiki gets
> rewritten in Lua"?  The ml archive uses mhonarc for HTML conversion.  Do
> you suggest to rewrite mhonarc in Lua too?

Naah, I don't mind that.

The rationale for the wiki, is that there's no "out-there" Lua-based
wiki, and I'd love to see Aranha actually put through its paces by
someone other than me.

> I think lua-users.org at sourceforge is working well enough and a move
> isn't worth the effort.  But if the site was looking for a new home,
> it's best to choose somewhere that is 1) not likely to disappear in five
> or ten years and 2) puts the least constraints on software installation
> and configuration.

That's fair enough.

1) We're not planning on disappearing (We being Pepperfish Ltd)
2) Well, I am root on the box, is there any less constrained I can be?

Primarily I don't want to see more PHP on the box than I can get away
from, and Perl CGI based wikis are inefficient. Not sure how quickly
Python gets going, but running a python CGI can't be much more efficient
than Perl.

It was mainly an offer from the point of view of not wanting to see the
lua-users.org admins stuck because sourceforge cock something up.

D.

--
Daniel Silverstone <[hidden email]>
Digital-Scurf