Plua refuse to run Memo source

pox_ox2
Hi,
Recently I am getting not able to run any Plua source in Memo DB.

Symptom:
In Plua IDE, after selecting any .lua entry -
* Plua 2.0b10 (same symptom confirmed back to 2.0b4)
  "Run" results with a dialog saying
  "Information
   cannot read memo:/testL2b9.lua:
   Success"
  (message in pre 2.0b7 are slightly different but symptom same)
* Plua 1.1
  "Run" results in screen clear then immediate return to the IDE.

This happens to virtually ALL of my 40 or so .lua entries with 100%
reproducibility.
- To be honest, I haven't yet really try Run all of these 40+ ones,
  but did at least 10 or more.
- I forgot which file was for which Plua version so
  I would expect some syntactical error or exit-without-event-loop,
  but I'm quite sure this problem is universal, not just syntax errors.
- I can Edit and save these entries correctly.
- Doc files run with no problem.

Environment:
  Sony Clie NX80V PalmOS V 5.0 (Japanese)
  Free memory 1467kB
  Lots of DAs. No Hacks

Don't remember when was last time it ran normally (since I'm mostly
developing using SrcEdit). It was at least several months ago, with
from 1.1 upto 2.0b6 or b7.
The only change since then that I can imagine related to this
will be that now my Memo DB is getting huge: 1779 items on 1416kB.
Also, many of my memo titles are in Japanese, although all .lua are
pure alphanumeric with occasional blanks, no Japanese.

Plua2.0 release and MemoDB read issue

pox_ox2
Hi,
just found Plua2.0 final release in the file area, congratulations!

So now it's too late to followup my previous report:
 "Plua refuse to run Memo source"
but nevertheless I will report my further findings.

[Symptom(revised)]
Any time there are 1489 or more records in the memoDB (counted on
launcher | menu | info | data), following symptoms occur at 100%
reproducibility.

Symptom (1)
In Plua IDE, if you "Run" any program(for example test1.lua here) from
memo,
Plua gives a dialog
  Error
  cannot read
  memo:/test1.lua:
  Success
and refuses to run.

Symptom (2)
Any access from Plua programs to the memoDB shows the same dialog and
stops at that point. Example code run from a Doc file:
-- test1.lua
f,n=io.open("memo:/-- test1.lua","r")
s=f:read()
print(s)
gui.main()
--
The value of f is nil.
dofile() won't work either.

Condition:
The sole condition is the count of records in the MemoDB.
If equal or less than 1488, it runs OK.
When 1489 or more, it always fails.
I tested on two MemoDBs:
(a)a copy of my real DB, full of Japanese fat entries
(b)a test DB, with ALL but one memos consist of just one letter "a".
The other one memo is above test program. No Japanese at all.
The whole size of this DB for 1489 memos is just 36kBytes.
Also note that the number of memos displayed on Palm Desktop sometimes
differ from the number shown on launcher's info menu. Latter is the
real boundary.

[Tested environments]
Plua2.0 May 1, 2008 release.
(i)My real Sony Clie NX80V(Japanese PalmOS5)
MemoDB in this machine currently has 1849 records and the symptoms
always happens. I haven't tested where the boundary is on this machine.
(ii)Palm OS simulator for Sony Clie (Japanese PalmOS5)
Clean(Only plua2.prc, plua2help.prc and memoDB is introduced.)
Symptom (1),(2) reproduced at 1489 items with both memoDBs (a) and (b).
(iii)POSE with PalmVx (Japanese PalmOS4.1) clean.
Symptom (1),(2) reproduced at 1489 items with both memoDBs (a) and (b).

I haven't tested for non-Japanese PalmOSs.

[Analysis]
It is not related to memoDB size, nor Japanese text, nor some DA in my
Palm.
I suspect the cause is a bug in Plua or PalmOS.
Since Palm's memo app and a memo accessing DA works correctly with
this large memo count, I suspect the magic number is in Plua.

Hope this helps.

Re: Plua2.0 release and MemoDB read issue

pox_ox2
Sorry, I made a wrong description for Symptom(2).

--- In [hidden email], "pox_ox2" <pox_ox2@...> wrote:
> Symptom (2)
> Any access from Plua programs to the memoDB shows the same dialog and
> stops at that point.

Actually it does not stop. It continues but with the value of f being nil.