Plua Code Available ? (Palm OS)

jon fernquest
I've been experimenting with Plua (Lua for the Palm OS)
and it's great!

I have two questions:

1. Is the source available so that we can write C extensions?
2. Has anyone figured out how to read and write to Memo's of
a given category or a DOC file ?

Plua seems to be the only real scripting language
that adheres to a cross-platform language standard
available for the Palm (and MS Pocket PC on the iPAQ soon also,
it seems).

I'm sure some people have been experimenting with it.
Would the Lua Wiki be the right place to share Plua code
for the Palm OS  (GUI and DB access) ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Jon Fernquest

Re: Plua Code Available ? (Palm OS)

Victor Bogado da Silva Lins
On 2001.09.27 08:34 jon fernquest wrote:
> I've been experimenting with Plua (Lua for the Palm OS)
> and it's great!
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is the source available so that we can write C extensions?
> 2. Has anyone figured out how to read and write to Memo's of
> a given category or a DOC file ?
>
> Plua seems to be the only real scripting language
> that adheres to a cross-platform language standard
> available for the Palm (and MS Pocket PC on the iPAQ soon also,
> it seems).
>
> I'm sure some people have been experimenting with it.
> Would the Lua Wiki be the right place to share Plua code
> for the Palm OS  (GUI and DB access) ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

	It seems that PLUA is shareware (as in not free). I wrote
an email to the author and he said that PLUA do have an expiration
date and that there is no source code available.

	In my (very little) free time I am starting a new port of
lua to the palm plataform, that I intend to release with the same
license of the original LUA (I would rather do it GPL, but I am not
shure if I can do it or not, so I take the safe path). I already
managed to compile lua with the palm gcc, but no tests were done
with this compiled code. I am only begging the development with palm
so I don't have a lot of experience. If you or any other show any
interest in helping me I would gladly setup a page or something so
that we could put our hands in the code. :-)

Re: Plua Code Available ? (Palm OS)

Roberto Ierusalimschy-5
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Victor Bogado da Silva Lins wrote:

> 	In my (very little) free time I am starting a new port of
> lua to the palm plataform, that I intend to release with the same
> license of the original LUA (I would rather do it GPL, but I am not
> shure if I can do it or not, so I take the safe path).

If your problem is the Lua license, go ahead. Our copyright implies that
"Lua" (our code) is not subjected to GPL license, but your software can
have any license you want.

Re: Plua Code Available ? (Palm OS)

James Hearn
> On 2001.09.27 08:34 jon fernquest wrote:
> > I've been experimenting with Plua (Lua for the Palm OS)
> > and it's great!
> >
> > I have two questions:
> >
> > 1. Is the source available so that we can write C extensions?
> > 2. Has anyone figured out how to read and write to Memo's of
> > a given category or a DOC file ?
> >
> > Plua seems to be the only real scripting language
> > that adheres to a cross-platform language standard
> > available for the Palm (and MS Pocket PC on the iPAQ soon also,
> > it seems).
> >
> > I'm sure some people have been experimenting with it.
> > Would the Lua Wiki be the right place to share Plua code
> > for the Palm OS  (GUI and DB access) ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
> >

> It seems that PLUA is shareware (as in not free). I wrote
> an email to the author and he said that PLUA do have an expiration
> date and that there is no source code available.
>
> In my (very little) free time I am starting a new port of
> lua to the palm plataform, that I intend to release with the same
> license of the original LUA (I would rather do it GPL, but I am not
> shure if I can do it or not, so I take the safe path). I already
> managed to compile lua with the palm gcc, but no tests were done
> with this compiled code. I am only begging the development with palm
> so I don't have a lot of experience. If you or any other show any
> interest in helping me I would gladly setup a page or something so
> that we could put our hands in the code. :-)

I am about to purchase a Palm-based organizer, and I would be *very*
interested in working on such a project. I've looked at PLUA and was
nonplussed at the restrictions involved. I've signed up to recieve the Palm
sdks and such... Email me and lets see if we can't get something worked out.
I think it would be a blast to get Lua working on my organizer!

--James Hearn

Re: Plua Code Available ? (Palm OS)

Victor Bogado da Silva Lins

> I am about to purchase a Palm-based organizer, and I would be *very*
> interested in working on such a project. I've looked at PLUA and was
> nonplussed at the restrictions involved. I've signed up to recieve the
> Palm
> sdks and such... Email me and lets see if we can't get something worked
> out.
> I think it would be a blast to get Lua working on my organizer!

	I will setup a page with my code, as soon as I can. My ISP is down
and all my code is at home, so I'm not shure I will be able to set it up in
the next few days.

		Mean while, I have a question for the list. All the work I
have done in this port was using the lua 4.0, I have seen that there is
work
being done in a new version (4.1). Should I start porting the new version
or
it is best to do porting after it stabilize? If we begin to port the new
version we could point out witch features have problematic so they can be
isolated (much like the memory manage is isolated in one file in the 4.0
version). But also the new version is a moving target, so i could be harder
to port it.

Re: Plua Code Available ? (Palm OS)

jon fernquest

	In my (very little) free time I am starting a new port of
lua to the palm plataform, that I intend to release with the same
license of the original LUA (I would rather do it GPL, but I am not
shure if I can do it or not, so I take the safe path). I already
managed to compile lua with the palm gcc, but no tests were done with this compiled code. I am only begging the development with palm so I don't have a lot of experience. If you or any other show any interest in helping me I would gladly setup a page or something so that we could put our hands in the code. :-)

I'd love to volunteer.
Right now I have a lot of free time.
I've been poking around a lot with Plua,
PocketC, and Forth on the Palm, and some simple
metrowerk's C applications as well as RsrcEdit on the Palm.

I'm new to Lua and the Palm (Perl, Python, C experience)
so I'm ready and willing to take some subordinate position
involving certain coding tasks, testing, documentation, etc...

Dragon Forth directly exposes the underlying all the low-level
Palm API functions. This might be too low-level for Lua (?)
but it would make it easier to build functionality on....like with Plua
it's not exactly obvious how to extract all the to do list items
for a given category.

API functions like PocketC's for memos
(Palm OS's makeshift file system) , DOC files ,
and To Do list entries would also be useful.

Could you point me to the source of the GCC tools you're
using?

Cheers,

Jon Fernquest

help me evangelize Lua

Thatcher Ulrich
I need an easy-to-use interactive Lua app for the other coders and artists
at my company to play with, to help sell them on using Lua in our next
game, get them excited about it, and start the learning process along.
The ideal thing would be an interactive console, with some hooks for doing
simple 2D graphics. The lead asked for  "Something nice like Lua running
Flash or Logo would be ideal."

Has to run on Windows.  I'm sure there are a thousand apps like this, so
I'm wondering if people can point me at a good one.  Titmouse seems like
the ideal UI, but I'm not sure how to hook it up with graphics.

Pointers & advice appreciated.

-Thatcher

Re: help me evangelize Lua

Eric Tetz-2
--- Thatcher Ulrich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need an easy-to-use interactive Lua app for the other coders and artists
> at my company to play with, to help sell them on using Lua in our next
> game, get them excited about it, and start the learning process along.
> The ideal thing would be an interactive console, with some hooks for doing
> simple 2D graphics. The lead asked for  "Something nice like Lua running
> Flash or Logo would be ideal."
>
> Has to run on Windows.  I'm sure there are a thousand apps like this, so
> I'm wondering if people can point me at a good one.  Titmouse seems like
> the ideal UI, but I'm not sure how to hook it up with graphics.

Check out Yindo.  www.yindo.com.  Lua as a web plugin with OpenGL bindings and more.  It's a
pretty impressive display of what Lua is capable of.

Cheers,
Eric

http://phone.yahoo.com

On Sat, 2001-09-29 at 10:59, jon fernquest wrote:

> I'd love to volunteer.
> Right now I have a lot of free time.
> I've been poking around a lot with Plua,
> PocketC, and Forth on the Palm, and some simple
> metrowerk's C applications as well as RsrcEdit on the Palm.
>
> I'm new to Lua and the Palm (Perl, Python, C experience)
> so I'm ready and willing to take some subordinate position
> involving certain coding tasks, testing, documentation, etc...
>
> Dragon Forth directly exposes the underlying all the low-level
> Palm API functions. This might be too low-level for Lua (?)
> but it would make it easier to build functionality on....like with Plua
> it's not exactly obvious how to extract all the to do list items
> for a given category.
>
> API functions like PocketC's for memos
> (Palm OS's makeshift file system) , DOC files ,
> and To Do list entries would also be useful.
>
> Could you point me to the source of the GCC tools you're
> using?

	Well I am using the PRC-tools and the pilrc. Then prc tools is the gcc
for palm and pilrc is a resource compiler. You will also need a palm os
SDK, the last one is the 4.0.

prc-tools page : http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net/

pilrc page : http://www.ardiri.com/index.php?redir=palm&cat=pilrc

palm os sdk : http://www.palmos.com/cgi-bin/sdk40.cgi

	I will release the source code I made so far. But it's not much realy.
It has only a modifyed lua code to compile with the palm SDK. The main
problem is that the palm SDK does not suport a few ansi C functions. It
has a substitute for most of them, but you need to work arround small
problems like parameter order and the like.

	Also Palm OS does not have stdio, it does lack a "file system". Plua
seems to have solved this by using palm databases or memos (from the
memo pad) as files. I have not done this part for now, so the only way
to test my palm lua code is to use dostring and not dofile. I HAVEN'T
DONE ANY TESTS YET. :-)

	I must confess that I am not entirely satisfied with the code I have
now. It lacks a single strategy for porting, in one file I do one thing
to solve a problem and in other I did something diferent, so it realy
mess. But this did help me to understand better what are the issues in
the port. I am thinking in starting over with the 4.1 version, but I'm
not shure if this is realy stable now. Also by the discussions here in
the list, it seems that lua 4.1 is not even in a feature freeze stage.

	Well here comes few pointer to help anyone entering the palm-os
develpment world. :-)

palm opensource:  http://www.palmopensource.com/
	Plenty of open source software, both useful and also there is polenty
of sample code.

PalmOs 3.5 Programming: http://www.multimania.com/pbriol/palmos/gcc.html

	Well I do have other ponter but they aren't anywhere I can find right
now. :-/

[]'s Victor Bogado da Silva Lins
[hidden email]