Plua 2.0b10

migueletto-2
Hi,

Plua 2.0b10 is available in the files section.
Unless some problem is found, this release will probably become 2.0
final (meaning no new development is expected for Plua 2.0 / Lua 5.0).

After 2.0 final is released, I will evaluate if it is worth porting
Lua 5.1 to PalmOS. This will depend on many factors, like amount of
work, available time, and the status of the PalmOS platform in the
near future).

Regards,
Marcio.

Re: Plua 2.0b10

Pal-3
Marcio,

Congratulations on Plua 2.0 and thank you for it, and your examples, and your free
support here. We all know you are brilliant, so keep being yourself ;)

If it helps anyone, after reading your announcement I went and tried to find the differences
between Lua 5.0 and 5.1. Here is what I found from the official Lua documentation.

7 - Incompatibilities with the Previous Version

Here we list the incompatibilities that you may find when moving a program from Lua 5.0
to Lua 5.1. You can avoid most of the incompatibilities compiling Lua with appropriate
options (see file luaconf.h). However, all these compatibility options will be removed in
the next version of Lua.

7.1 - Changes in the Language

The vararg system changed from the pseudo-argument arg with a table with the extra
arguments to the vararg expression. (See compile-time option LUA_COMPAT_VARARG in
luaconf.h.)
There was a subtle change in the scope of the implicit variables of the for statement and
for the repeat statement.
The long string/long comment syntax ([[string]]) does not allow nesting. You can use the
new syntax ([=[string]=]) in these cases. (See compile-time option LUA_COMPAT_LSTR in
luaconf.h.)

7.2 - Changes in the Libraries

Function string.gfind was renamed string.gmatch. (See compile-time option
LUA_COMPAT_GFIND in luaconf.h.)
When string.gsub is called with a function as its third argument, whenever this function
returns nil or false the replacement string is the whole match, instead of the empty string.
Function table.setn was deprecated. Function table.getn corresponds to the new length
operator (#); use the operator instead of the function. (See compile-time option
LUA_COMPAT_GETN in luaconf.h.)
Function loadlib was renamed package.loadlib. (See compile-time option
LUA_COMPAT_LOADLIB in luaconf.h.)
Function math.mod was renamed math.fmod. (See compile-time option
LUA_COMPAT_MOD in luaconf.h.)
Functions table.foreach and table.foreachi are deprecated. You can use a for loop with
pairs or ipairs instead.
There were substantial changes in function require due to the new module system.
However, the new behavior is mostly compatible with the old, but require gets the path
from package.path instead of from LUA_PATH.
Function collectgarbage has different arguments. Function gcinfo is deprecated; use
collectgarbage("count") instead.

7.3 - Changes in the API

The luaopen_* functions (to open libraries) cannot be called directly, like a regular C
function. They must be called through Lua, like a Lua function.
Function lua_open was replaced by lua_newstate to allow the user to set a memory-
allocation function. You can use luaL_newstate from the standard library to create a state
with a standard allocation function (based on realloc).
Functions luaL_getn and luaL_setn (from the auxiliary library) are deprecated. Use
lua_objlen instead of luaL_getn and nothing instead of luaL_setn.
Function luaL_openlib was replaced by luaL_register.
Function luaL_checkudata now throws an error when the given value is not a userdata of
the expected type. (In Lua 5.0 it returned NULL.)

Pal

--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <migueletto@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Plua 2.0b10 is available in the files section.
> Unless some problem is found, this release will probably become 2.0
> final (meaning no new development is expected for Plua 2.0 / Lua 5.0).
>
> After 2.0 final is released, I will evaluate if it is worth porting
> Lua 5.1 to PalmOS. This will depend on many factors, like amount of
> work, available time, and the status of the PalmOS platform in the
> near future).
>
> Regards,
> Marcio.

Re: Plua 2.0b10

Berkant Atay

Marcio, thank you very much for your extraordinary effort. Plua has
been a very powerful tool for my computer needs and an everyday fun
to kill time. I hope we will keep Plua and the Plua community alive
and growing for a long time to come. Greetings from Turkey.

Berkant.

--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <migueletto@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Plua 2.0b10 is available in the files section.
> Unless some problem is found, this release will probably become 2.0
> final (meaning no new development is expected for Plua 2.0 / Lua
5.0).

> After 2.0 final is released, I will evaluate if it is worth porting
> Lua 5.1 to PalmOS. This will depend on many factors, like amount of
> work, available time, and the status of the PalmOS platform in the
> near future).
>
> Regards,
> Marcio.

Re: Plua 2.0b10

Marcelo G Huerta

Re: Plua 2.0b10

ygfz4v902
Marcio, thank you for making Plua available, making it easy to program
on the Palm.

As for AppInfo, from plua-2.0b10.zip/doc/pluadoc.html:
f:openrec(i): opens the record with index i from an already open
database f. If i is negative, the database AppInfo record is opened.
Returns the size of the record or nil if an error occurred.

> > Plua 2.0b10 is available in the files section.
> > Unless some problem is found, this release will probably become 2.0
> > final (meaning no new development is expected for Plua 2.0 / Lua 5.0).
>
> Marcio, thanking you for a fantastic tool, I will pose a question I
> asked a while ago: is there any chance, before going final, to include
> functions to get/set appinfo data?
>
> --
>
>    o-=< Marcelo >=-o

Re: Re: Plua 2.0b10

Marcelo G Huerta
> f:openrec(i): opens the record with index i from an already open
> database f. If i is negative, the database AppInfo record is opened.
> Returns the size of the record or nil if an error occurred.

Glup. I missed that. Granted, is a little counterintuitive, but I should
have grepped the docs before writing.

Thank you for the inclusion, Marcio.

--

   o-=< Marcelo >=-o

94. Cuando estén arrestando prisioneros, mis guardias no les
permitirán pararse para recoger una baratija de valor puramente
sentimental.
 (De la lista del Señor del Mal)