Peter Melnichenko

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Peter Melnichenko

Hisham
Lua community,

I share with you with great sadness that it has come to my knowledge
that Peter Melnichenko has passed away.

Peter was a prolific member of the Lua community, best known as the
author of luacheck, the amazing Lua static analyzer, an invaluable
tool that I cannot praise enough and has essentially changed the way I
write Lua code. What many may not know is that he was also the #2 top
committer to the LuaRocks codebase, and had an instrumental role in
the maintenance of LuaRocks over the last few years. He was also
someone to whom I trusted handing over the LuaCov project. Having
worked with him on these projects over the years, I had nothing but
good experiences. Peter was not only extremely talented, but also
always kind, respectful and friendly.

I had just recently learned how young he was: he had just concluded
his bachelor's degree this year, which makes his achievements all the
more impressive — I had always somehow assumed he was a seasoned
veteran!

FOSS communities bring people together in many different ways. Some of
us have the opportunity to meet at events, others interact only
online. I've never had the chance to meet Peter in person, but the
news of his passing struck me really hard nonetheless. He was a
well-liked and respected member of this community, and I'm sure other
members of this list would appreciate being informed, hence this
message.

The positive impact of his work will remain, and I'm sure we as a
community will, in time, carry on his legacy. For now, I would just
like to share my grief with you all, and extend my thoughts to his
family and friends.

Спасибо, Пётр,

-- Hisham

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Peter Melnichenko

Pierre Chapuis
> I share with you with great sadness that it has come to my knowledge
> that Peter Melnichenko has passed away.

This is terrible news. I think I never met Peter in person but like Hisham
his Open Source software made my life much easier more than once.

In addition to luacheck, he was also the author of other very useful tools
such as argparse and hererocks.

RIP mpeterv, you will be missed. Like Hisham said, your software will live
on.

--
Pierre Chapuis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Peter Melnichenko

Roland
In reply to this post by Hisham
Thanks for your great contributions to the Lua Community.

Rest in Peace, Peter Melnichenko.





--
Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Peter Melnichenko

Lorenzo Donati-3
In reply to this post by Hisham
On 14/11/2018 19:47, Hisham wrote:
> Lua community,
>
> I share with you with great sadness that it has come to my knowledge
> that Peter Melnichenko has passed away.
>

Very sad. My condolences to you and to his family, if you happen to have
any contact with them.

[...]

> I had just recently learned how young he was: he had just concluded
> his bachelor's degree this year, [...]

This makes the news all more saddening.


> FOSS communities bring people together in many different ways. Some of
> us have the opportunity to meet at events, others interact only
> online. I've never had the chance to meet Peter in person, but the
> news of his passing struck me really hard nonetheless. He was a
> well-liked and respected member of this community, and I'm sure other
> members of this list would appreciate being informed, hence this
> message.
>
> The positive impact of his work will remain, and I'm sure we as a
> community will, in time, carry on his legacy. For now, I would just
> like to share my grief with you all, and extend my thoughts to his
> family and friends.
>
> Спасибо, Пётр,
>
> -- Hisham
>
>





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Peter Melnichenko

Etiene Dalcol
Very sad news... I use his tools every time I use Lua and he has made multiple contributions to my projects.
This is a big loss to the community. Thanks for informing us.

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 at 11:07, Lorenzo Donati <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 14/11/2018 19:47, Hisham wrote:
> Lua community,
>
> I share with you with great sadness that it has come to my knowledge
> that Peter Melnichenko has passed away.
>

Very sad. My condolences to you and to his family, if you happen to have
any contact with them.

[...]

> I had just recently learned how young he was: he had just concluded
> his bachelor's degree this year, [...]

This makes the news all more saddening.


> FOSS communities bring people together in many different ways. Some of
> us have the opportunity to meet at events, others interact only
> online. I've never had the chance to meet Peter in person, but the
> news of his passing struck me really hard nonetheless. He was a
> well-liked and respected member of this community, and I'm sure other
> members of this list would appreciate being informed, hence this
> message.
>
> The positive impact of his work will remain, and I'm sure we as a
> community will, in time, carry on his legacy. For now, I would just
> like to share my grief with you all, and extend my thoughts to his
> family and friends.
>
> Спасибо, Пётр,
>
> -- Hisham
>
>





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Peter Melnichenko

Victor Seva
In reply to this post by Hisham
Really sad news,

as the Debian maintainer of luacheck and argparse I only have good things to say about Peter. He will be missed.

Thanks for sharing and my condolences to his family and friends.