I just discovered Lua a few days ago (and I like it *g*).
The first thing I tried was to make a version without floats.
It was not as easy as it seems according to the config file.
Then I read the mailing list and saw that other people had
the same problem, so here is my patch.
It has some major consequences:
- No FPU or math library required.
- Faster on most machines (sieve ~19% on K6/200)
- Needs less memory (on some machines).
- Binary API changes! All functions dealing with
numbers use the type 'real' instead of 'double'.
- Floating point numbers are rejected by the lexer
and by the conversion routines (even in compiled
- The mathlib has lost most of its functions. Only
abs, min, max, random, and randomseed remain.
random with no args returns numbers between 0 and
- The clock function from iolib returns number of
multiples of 0.01 seconds.