PIL 3rd electronic version

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PIL 3rd electronic version

dcharno
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Steve Litt
On Tue, 14 May 2013 16:59:18 -0400
dcharno <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's available at:
>
> http://store.feistyduck.com/products/programming-in-lua

It says:

"Digital format: PDF, EPUB, Kindle (Mobi), Online"

Do I have to choose, or does my $23.30 buy me PDF, ePub *and* Mobi?

I'd love to be able to browse it on my Kindle, yet for serious work and
for copy and paste have it as a PDF on my computer screen.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

dcharno


On May 14, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 2013 16:59:18 -0400
> dcharno <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It's available at:
>>
>> http://store.feistyduck.com/products/programming-in-lua
>
> It says:
>
> "Digital format: PDF, EPUB, Kindle (Mobi), Online"
>
> Do I have to choose, or does my $23.30 buy me PDF, ePub *and* Mobi?
>
> I'd love to be able to browse it on my Kindle, yet for serious work and
> for copy and paste have it as a PDF on my computer screen.

There's no format selection before you purchase. The download page has links for different formats. I downloaded the PDF previously and just grabbed the mobi format as a test. Looks like you can do what you want.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

koba
In reply to this post by Steve Litt
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:33:09PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> It says:
>
> "Digital format: PDF, EPUB, Kindle (Mobi), Online"
>
> Do I have to choose, or does my $23.30 buy me PDF, ePub *and* Mobi?
>
> I'd love to be able to browse it on my Kindle, yet for serious work and
> for copy and paste have it as a PDF on my computer screen.

You can download all the editions you want (done myself right now). Like
other digital publishing system, the pdf contains your name/email at the
bottom of the page, c&p is allowed (still haven't tried the .mobi).

ciao,
Igor

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

liam mail


On 14 May 2013 23:49, <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:33:09PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> It says:
>
> "Digital format: PDF, EPUB, Kindle (Mobi), Online"
>
> Do I have to choose, or does my $23.30 buy me PDF, ePub *and* Mobi?
>
> I'd love to be able to browse it on my Kindle, yet for serious work and
> for copy and paste have it as a PDF on my computer screen.

You can download all the editions you want (done myself right now). Like
other digital publishing system, the pdf contains your name/email at the
bottom of the page, c&p is allowed (still haven't tried the .mobi).

ciao,
Igor



No email address on mine or any mention of feistyduck as I removed them after they created an account behind my back and added my email address to the pages, the same email address it was asked if they could use to contact me, to which I said no.

FeistyDuck it took less than a couple of minutes to remove the information and we all have seen what happened with PiL2, so was it really worth it?

Liam
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by dcharno
On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:43:30 -0400
dcharno <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On May 14, 2013, at 5:33 PM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 14 May 2013 16:59:18 -0400
> > dcharno <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It's available at:
> >>
> >> http://store.feistyduck.com/products/programming-in-lua
> >
> > It says:
> >
> > "Digital format: PDF, EPUB, Kindle (Mobi), Online"
> >
> > Do I have to choose, or does my $23.30 buy me PDF, ePub *and* Mobi?
> >
> > I'd love to be able to browse it on my Kindle, yet for serious work
> > and for copy and paste have it as a PDF on my computer screen.
>
> There's no format selection before you purchase. The download page
> has links for different formats. I downloaded the PDF previously and
> just grabbed the mobi format as a test. Looks like you can do what
> you want.
> >
>

Cool! I'm on it like a squirrel on a tree!

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by koba
On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:49:26 +0200
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 05:33:09PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > It says:
> >
> > "Digital format: PDF, EPUB, Kindle (Mobi), Online"
> >
> > Do I have to choose, or does my $23.30 buy me PDF, ePub *and* Mobi?
> >
> > I'd love to be able to browse it on my Kindle, yet for serious work
> > and for copy and paste have it as a PDF on my computer screen.
>
> You can download all the editions you want (done myself right now).
> Like other digital publishing system, the pdf contains your
> name/email at the bottom of the page, c&p is allowed (still haven't
> tried the .mobi).


Confirmed! It took my Paypal account so it was easy and painless. For
15 British pounds I got all three formats. This makes Lua a much better
resource.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Steve Litt
On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:10:57 -0400
Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:49:26 +0200
> [hidden email] wrote:

> > You can download all the editions you want (done myself right now).
> > Like other digital publishing system, the pdf contains your
> > name/email at the bottom of the page, c&p is allowed (still haven't
> > tried the .mobi).
>
>
> Confirmed! It took my Paypal account so it was easy and painless. For
> 15 British pounds I got all three formats. This makes Lua a much
> better resource.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Serious bummer. When you copy from the PDF version and paste into a
text file, the result is gibberish characters. Below my sig is an
example, the copy and paste of the Fibbonacci program Given that the
book's first exercise is "run the fibbonacci program", which is printed
in the chapter, this is just plain bad.

To make it worse, I found no way to wget the online version, which says
it will be online for the next year, but sometimes I like to do this
stuff while disconnected from the Internet.

Is there a chance of updating this eBook so that it can be copied and
pasted to a plain text file?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

✲✲ ❞❡❢✐♥❡s ❛ ❢❛❝t♦r✐❛❧ ❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥
❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥ ❢❛❝t ✭♥✮
✐❢ ♥ ❂❂ ✵ t❤❡♥
r❡t✉r♥ ✶
❡❧s❡
r❡t✉r♥ ♥ ✯ ❢❛❝t✭♥✲✶✮
❡♥❞
❡♥❞
♣r✐♥t✭✧❡♥t❡r ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r✿✧✮
❛ ❂ ✐♦✳r❡❛❞✭✧✯♥✧✮
✲✲ r❡❛❞s ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r
♣r✐♥t✭❢❛❝t✭❛✮✮

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

steve donovan
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
✲✲ ❞❡❢✐♥❡s ❛ ❢❛❝t♦r✐❛❧ ❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥
❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥ ❢❛❝t ✭♥✮
✐❢ ♥ ❂❂ ✵ t❤❡♥
r❡t✉r♥ ✶
❡❧s❡
r❡t✉r♥ ♥ ✯ ❢❛❝t✭♥✲✶✮
❡♥❞
❡♥❞
♣r✐♥t✭✧❡♥t❡r ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r✿✧✮
❛ ❂ ✐♦✳r❡❛❞✭✧✯♥✧✮
✲✲ r❡❛❞s ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r
♣r✐♥t✭❢❛❝t✭❛✮✮


Glad I don't have to maintain that ;)  There's something so reassuring about plain ASCII.  For a few weeks I was an APL head at university but in retrospect it seemed more like an indoor sport that a programming language.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Finn Wilcox-2
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     ✲✲ ❞❡❢✐♥❡s ❛ ❢❛❝t♦r✐❛❧ ❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥
>     ❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥ ❢❛❝t ✭♥✮
>     ✐❢ ♥ ❂❂ ✵ t❤❡♥
>     r❡t✉r♥ ✶
>     ❡❧s❡
>     r❡t✉r♥ ♥ ✯ ❢❛❝t✭♥✲✶✮
>     ❡♥❞
>     ❡♥❞
>     ♣r✐♥t✭✧❡♥t❡r ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r✿✧✮
>     ❛ ❂ ✐♦✳r❡❛❞✭✧✯♥✧✮
>     ✲✲ r❡❛❞s ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r
>     ♣r✐♥t✭❢❛❝t✭❛✮✮
>

-- defines a factorial function
function fact (n)
if n == 0 then
return 1
else
return n * fact(n-1)
end
end
print("enter a number:")
a = io.read("*n")
-- reads a number
print(fact(a))




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

steve donovan
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Finn Wilcox <[hidden email]> wrote:
-- defines a factorial function
function fact (n)

Excellent command of written Martian displayed here, but what's the trick?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Finn Wilcox-2
On 15/05/2013 10:28, steve donovan wrote:
> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Finn Wilcox <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     -- defines a factorial function
>     function fact (n)
>
>
> Excellent command of written Martian displayed here, but what's the trick?
>
It's just a substitution cipher, i.e. each character is globally
replaced by another.  I don't have the .pdf, but I am guessing they
generate a random permutation of the codepoints used in the document and
embed a font whose glyphs have the same permutation applied.

And it is easy to guess which is which if you are familiar with the
language.  In this case I started with ❡♥❞, which I guessed meant "end"
as it appears twice on a line by itself.  That was enough to recognize
the remaining Lua keywords, followed by the words in the comment and
finally the punctuation.

But the point I was trying to make was that it is pretty much useless,
other than causing inconvenience (and for the target audience of a
programming book, that inconvenience is quite small.)

Finn

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Wolfgang Pupp-2
In reply to this post by Steve Litt
Steve Litt wrote:
> Serious bummer. When you copy from the PDF version and paste into a
> text file, the result is gibberish characters.

If complaining to FeistyDuck won't make them remove this "anti-piracy
scheme" (or whatever this is supposed to achieve), you could always
try to convert the mobi format to pdf with e.g. Calibre
(http://calibre-ebook.com/). Or use Calibre to directly read the
mobi-format.

--Wolfgang

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Douglas Davenport
In reply to this post by Steve Litt

On May 14, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:10:57 -0400
> Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 May 2013 00:49:26 +0200
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>> You can download all the editions you want (done myself right now).
>>> Like other digital publishing system, the pdf contains your
>>> name/email at the bottom of the page, c&p is allowed (still haven't
>>> tried the .mobi).
>>
>>
>> Confirmed! It took my Paypal account so it was easy and painless. For
>> 15 British pounds I got all three formats. This makes Lua a much
>> better resource.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> SteveT
>>
>> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
>> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
>
> Serious bummer. When you copy from the PDF version and paste into a
> text file, the result is gibberish characters. Below my sig is an
> example, the copy and paste of the Fibbonacci program Given that the
> book's first exercise is "run the fibbonacci program", which is printed
> in the chapter, this is just plain bad.
>
> To make it worse, I found no way to wget the online version, which says
> it will be online for the next year, but sometimes I like to do this
> stuff while disconnected from the Internet.
>
> Is there a chance of updating this eBook so that it can be copied and
> pasted to a plain text file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
>
> ✲✲ ❞❡❢✐♥❡s ❛ ❢❛❝t♦r✐❛❧ ❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥
> ❢✉♥❝t✐♦♥ ❢❛❝t ✭♥✮
> ✐❢ ♥ ❂❂ ✵ t❤❡♥
> r❡t✉r♥ ✶
> ❡❧s❡
> r❡t✉r♥ ♥ ✯ ❢❛❝t✭♥✲✶✮
> ❡♥❞
> ❡♥❞
> ♣r✐♥t✭✧❡♥t❡r ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r✿✧✮
> ❛ ❂ ✐♦✳r❡❛❞✭✧✯♥✧✮
> ✲✲ r❡❛❞s ❛ ♥✉♠❜❡r
> ♣r✐♥t✭❢❛❝t✭❛✮✮
>


I do not see this problem with my copy. Could it be an issue with the PDF viewer used? I am using Preview in OSX 10.7. I have tried several examples in the book with no issues.

 
-- defines a factorial function
     function fact (n)

  if n == 0 then
    return 1

  else
    return n * fact(n-1)

end end

print("enter a number:")
a = io.read("*n")
print(fact(a))


-djd

 
--
Douglas Davenport





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

koba
In reply to this post by Wolfgang Pupp-2
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:23:57PM +0200, Wolfgang Pupp wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Serious bummer. When you copy from the PDF version and paste into a
> > text file, the result is gibberish characters.
>
> If complaining to FeistyDuck won't make them remove this "anti-piracy
> scheme" (or whatever this is supposed to achieve), you could always
> try to convert the mobi format to pdf with e.g. Calibre
> (http://calibre-ebook.com/). Or use Calibre to directly read the
> mobi-format.

With xpdf i can copy the code w/o problem (but i tried only some
examples from beginning, like "-- defines a factorial function" and form
end, like "Listing 31.7. Registering libraries to be opened on demand").

Isn't maybe some encoding/font/somewhat issue with other pdf readers?
(i'we seen this problem with others pdf before, usually with xpdf unable
to c&p correctly).

Btw, i'm not speaking about protected pdf's, in this case xpdf just
complains.

ciao,
Igor

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Jorge Visca
In reply to this post by Finn Wilcox-2
On 05/15/2013 09:01 AM, Finn Wilcox wrote:
> It's just a substitution cipher, i.e. each character is globally
> replaced by another.  I don't have the .pdf, but I am guessing they
> generate a random permutation of the codepoints used in the document and
> embed a font whose glyphs have the same permutation applied.

They should've used a "stick figures" font! THEN It would've been worth it.

J.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by Finn Wilcox-2
On Wed, 15 May 2013 13:01:12 +0100
Finn Wilcox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But the point I was trying to make was that it is pretty much useless,
> other than causing inconvenience (and for the target audience of a
> programming book, that inconvenience is quite small.)

You might want to reconsider the "quite small inconvenience" assertion.
OK, I could paste it into a little GUI that transliterates the
characters. But:

1) That's an extra 10 seconds EVERY TIME I want to test out the book's
   code.
2) It appears that your conversion removed all indentation.

<shout>The obfuscation of copied and pasted code has no business in a
programming PDF eBook!!!</shout>

I really think they should recompile the PDF so that code is copyable
intelligently, complete with indentation, and then offer the revised
PDF free of charge to people who have bought the book. I bought this
book specifically so I could copy, paste, try, and mess with the book's
code. The ability to copy and paste is why I buy PDFs instead of print
programming books.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by Wolfgang Pupp-2
On Wed, 15 May 2013 15:23:57 +0200
Wolfgang Pupp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Serious bummer. When you copy from the PDF version and paste into a
> > text file, the result is gibberish characters.
>
> If complaining to FeistyDuck won't make them remove this "anti-piracy
> scheme" (or whatever this is supposed to achieve), you could always
> try to convert the mobi format to pdf with e.g. Calibre
> (http://calibre-ebook.com/). Or use Calibre to directly read the
> mobi-format.
>
> --Wolfgang

I did that, Wolfgang, and copying and pasting from the ePub version as
viewed by Calibre works reasonably well (some extra indentation,but
it's uniform). Thanks for the tip.

You mention complaining to Feistyduck. Any idea how to complain to such
an entity?

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Steve Litt
In reply to this post by Wolfgang Pupp-2
On Wed, 15 May 2013 15:23:57 +0200
Wolfgang Pupp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > Serious bummer. When you copy from the PDF version and paste into a
> > text file, the result is gibberish characters.
>
> If complaining to FeistyDuck won't make them remove this "anti-piracy
> scheme" (or whatever this is supposed to achieve),

I don't think it's anti-piracy, because the normal text, the
explanations, the part you *should* protect, are easily copyable. No, I
think this was just a dumb mistake, no different from the programmer
who never bothers to watch his code being used in production, and
therefore leaving some "why in the WORLD did he do that?" mistakes in
the code.

By the way, all of my eBooks are personalized just like the Feistyduck
one, but AFAIK, everything in my eBooks is copy/pasteable. And my
eBooks aren't even programming books.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 3rd electronic version

Coda Highland
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 2013 15:23:57 +0200
> Wolfgang Pupp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Steve Litt wrote:
>> > Serious bummer. When you copy from the PDF version and paste into a
>> > text file, the result is gibberish characters.
>>
>> If complaining to FeistyDuck won't make them remove this "anti-piracy
>> scheme" (or whatever this is supposed to achieve),
>
> I don't think it's anti-piracy, because the normal text, the
> explanations, the part you *should* protect, are easily copyable. No, I
> think this was just a dumb mistake, no different from the programmer
> who never bothers to watch his code being used in production, and
> therefore leaving some "why in the WORLD did he do that?" mistakes in
> the code.
>
> By the way, all of my eBooks are personalized just like the Feistyduck
> one, but AFAIK, everything in my eBooks is copy/pasteable. And my
> eBooks aren't even programming books.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance
>

I haven't purchased the book, but if I had to take a guess: The code
examples are in a different font than the body text, aren't they? So
the PDF just assigned unused glyphs to that text so it only has one
bank of characters in the embedded font. I'm sure there's a compelling
reason for PDF generation software to do this; perhaps it's more
consistent in rendering across viewers, or perhaps it generates
smaller files. Of course, the side effects rather thwart that for this
use case.

/s/ Adam

12