Other languages for the LuaVM

Richard van Zon

Hello,

I am particular new to Lua (my first project using it, I formally
used S-Lang much)
but am very impressed by the speed and API.
For my project I actually need(ed) a C-like API,
Lua is more Pascal/Delphi like, I think.
thats okay...but still! I miss brackets in functions
and ++ for example.
I am thinking about to create a compiler which
compiles a C/Java-like language to the LuaVM.
Maybe it eventually would be possible to adapt more languages
to the LuaVM, kinda like .NET is doing.

My questions are :

* is there any comprehensive documentation about the LuaVM ?
* is anyone interrested in this idea ? and maybe actually want to help
* is someone actually busy with something like this already ?

Another idea was to translate that code to Lua...so the Lua compiler
can compile it. But I foresee several problems and restrictions in this
solution.
So, shoot ;-)

Richard van Zon

Re: Other languages for the LuaVM

Russ Webb
How about a code rewriting tool instead that compiles your preferred syntax
into Lua source?

The major downside would be an added translation phase while the major
upsides would be speed of development, creating something that other people
would probably build translators from, and easier compatibility with future
versions of Lua since the VM is not usually backward compatible (this is a
good thing because it keeps Lua moving forward without too much baggage).

Russ