Optical Scanner

yurihuxley
Are there a way to use optical scanner with plua ?

Re: Optical Scanner

Dado Sutter-2-2
If is has a serial interface, if your device has a serial port and if you
have access to the data format documentation; yes, you could easially (? :-o
) implement a driver in plua for your scanner.

[]ssssssssss
Dado

--- In [hidden email], "Dado Sutter" <dadosutter@...> wrote:

> If is has a serial interface, if your device has a serial port and
if you
> have access to the data format documentation; yes, you could
easially (? :-o

> ) implement a driver in plua for your scanner.
>
> []ssssssssss
> Dado
>

> On 9/3/07, yurihuxley <yurihuxley@...> wrote:
> >
> >   Are there a way to use optical scanner with plua ?

Thanks Dado, but can you should be more specify ?
I'm using a palm model simbol SPT 1700. I'm trying to develop a
software in plua that shall read bar codes. Someone already did it ?
Where can i found a plua scanner driver ?

Re: Re: Optical Scanner

Dado Sutter-2-2
Hello Yuri,
   I thought you were planning to interface with an optical (image) scanner.
   I´m not aware of a bar code reader app written in plua but if your device
has a serial (preferably RS232) interface port, it´s really quite easy to
have it. The sw protocol is very simple and very well documented in the web.
   I´ll be in vacations till Oct/16th (beginning today !!! :) and will not
be able to help too much :(
   But I´m sure you´ll get some more help from the list. I remember reading
bar code relation topics some time ago here. Have you searched in the list
messages ?

[]ssssssssssss
Dado Sutter

On 9/4/07, yurihuxley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   --- In [hidden email] <plua%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dado Sutter"
> <dadosutter@...> wrote:
> >
> > If is has a serial interface, if your device has a serial port and
> if you
> > have access to the data format documentation; yes, you could
> easially (? :-o
> > ) implement a driver in plua for your scanner.
> >
> > []ssssssssss
> > Dado
> >

> > On 9/3/07, yurihuxley <yurihuxley@...> wrote:
> > >
> > > Are there a way to use optical scanner with plua ?

> Thanks Dado, but can you should be more specify ?
> I'm using a palm model simbol SPT 1700. I'm trying to develop a
> software in plua that shall read bar codes. Someone already did it ?
> Where can i found a plua scanner driver ?

Re: Optical Scanner

yurihuxley
Hi Dado,
I searched in the list messages but i did not found nothing that
could solve my problem. I found a aplication make in code warrior
that use scan, it has in the font folder some files whith ".c"
and ".h" extensions that has names like "SerialClass.h"
and "SimpleScan.c". I wonder if i can use its with Plua. I don't have
much idea about how to begin with scan.

I get start with Plua about a one week, so sorry if my questions
looks like too
newbie =D

Enjoy at your vacation Dado, and thanks too much by attention

[]sssssss

--- In [hidden email], "Dado Sutter" <dadosutter@...> wrote:

> Hello Yuri,
>    I thought you were planning to interface with an optical (image)
scanner.
>    I´m not aware of a bar code reader app written in plua but if
your device
> has a serial (preferably RS232) interface port, it´s really quite
easy to
> have it. The sw protocol is very simple and very well documented in
the web.
>    I´ll be in vacations till Oct/16th (beginning today !!! :) and
will not
> be able to help too much :(
>    But I´m sure you´ll get some more help from the list. I remember
reading
> bar code relation topics some time ago here. Have you searched in
the list

> messages ?
>
> []ssssssssssss
> Dado Sutter
>

> On 9/4/07, yurihuxley <yurihuxley@...> wrote:
> >
> >   --- In [hidden email] <plua%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dado
Sutter"
> > <dadosutter@> wrote:
> > >
> > > If is has a serial interface, if your device has a serial port
and

> > if you
> > > have access to the data format documentation; yes, you could
> > easially (? :-o
> > > ) implement a driver in plua for your scanner.
> > >
> > > []ssssssssss
> > > Dado

> > Thanks Dado, but can you should be more specify ?
> > I'm using a palm model simbol SPT 1700. I'm trying to develop a
> > software in plua that shall read bar codes. Someone already did
it ?
> > Where can i found a plua scanner driver ?

Re: Re: Optical Scanner

Louis Mamakos
I think the previous responses were directed to accessing the serial
port directly from inside of plua.  If you look at the documentation for
the most recent version, you'll see some information on accessing
devices that are logically behind a serial port.

I don't think it's necessary to have to compile any C code or build any
extensions at all.

Of course, it's up to you to figure out the protocol that appears on the
serial port, which ought to be fairly simple for a barcode scanner.

yurihuxley wrote:

> Hi Dado,
> I searched in the list messages but i did not found nothing that
> could solve my problem. I found a aplication make in code warrior
> that use scan, it has in the font folder some files whith ".c"
> and ".h" extensions that has names like "SerialClass.h"
> and "SimpleScan.c". I wonder if i can use its with Plua. I don't have
> much idea about how to begin with scan.
>
> I get start with Plua about a one week, so sorry if my questions
> looks like too
> newbie =D
>
> Enjoy at your vacation Dado, and thanks too much by attention
>
> []sssssss
>

> --- In [hidden email], "Dado Sutter" <dadosutter@...> wrote:
>> Hello Yuri,
>>    I thought you were planning to interface with an optical (image)
> scanner.
>>    I´m not aware of a bar code reader app written in plua but if
> your device
>> has a serial (preferably RS232) interface port, it´s really quite
> easy to
>> have it. The sw protocol is very simple and very well documented in
> the web.
>>    I´ll be in vacations till Oct/16th (beginning today !!! :) and
> will not
>> be able to help too much :(
>>    But I´m sure you´ll get some more help from the list. I remember
> reading
>> bar code relation topics some time ago here. Have you searched in
> the list
>> messages ?
>>
>> []ssssssssssss
>> Dado Sutter
>>

>> On 9/4/07, yurihuxley <yurihuxley@...> wrote:
>>>   --- In [hidden email] <plua%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dado
> Sutter"
> and
>>> if you
>>> easially (? :-o

>>> Thanks Dado, but can you should be more specify ?
>>> I'm using a palm model simbol SPT 1700. I'm trying to develop a
>>> software in plua that shall read bar codes. Someone already did
> it ?
>>> Where can i found a plua scanner driver ?

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Re: Optical Scanner

yurihuxley
Hi guys, i still can't enable the code to use my optical scanner to
read code bars. Shall i use the "openser" comand ? I downloaded a pdk
file in symbol site to my palm version, so i try acess a c function
using this code:

 function scan()
  local scantry = loadlib("SimpleScan.c","StartApplication")
  if not scantry then
    gui.alert("File not found")
    os.exit()
  end
  scantry()
  end
  scan()

But it wasn't works. Somebody can say me if its possible ?
Are there some lua code that can i use to acess the optical scanner ?

--- In [hidden email], Louis Mamakos <louie@...> wrote:

> I think the previous responses were directed to accessing the
serial
> port directly from inside of plua.  If you look at the
documentation for
> the most recent version, you'll see some information on accessing
> devices that are logically behind a serial port.
>
> I don't think it's necessary to have to compile any C code or build
any
> extensions at all.
>
> Of course, it's up to you to figure out the protocol that appears
on the
> serial port, which ought to be fairly simple for a barcode scanner.
>
> yurihuxley wrote:
> > Hi Dado,
> > I searched in the list messages but i did not found nothing that
> > could solve my problem. I found a aplication make in code warrior
> > that use scan, it has in the font folder some files whith ".c"
> > and ".h" extensions that has names like "SerialClass.h"
> > and "SimpleScan.c". I wonder if i can use its with Plua. I don't
have

> > much idea about how to begin with scan.
> >
> > I get start with Plua about a one week, so sorry if my questions
> > looks like too
> > newbie =D
> >
> > Enjoy at your vacation Dado, and thanks too much by attention
> >
> > []sssssss
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], "Dado Sutter" <dadosutter@> wrote:
> >> Hello Yuri,
> >>    I thought you were planning to interface with an optical
(image)
> > scanner.
> >>    I´m not aware of a bar code reader app written in plua but if
> > your device
> >> has a serial (preferably RS232) interface port, it´s really
quite
> > easy to
> >> have it. The sw protocol is very simple and very well documented
in
> > the web.
> >>    I´ll be in vacations till Oct/16th (beginning today !!! :)
and
> > will not
> >> be able to help too much :(
> >>    But I´m sure you´ll get some more help from the list. I
remember
> > reading
> >> bar code relation topics some time ago here. Have you searched
in

> > the list
> >> messages ?
> >>
> >> []ssssssssssss
> >> Dado Sutter

> > Sutter"
> > and

> > it ?

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Re: Re: Optical Scanner

Ken Corey
yurihuxley wrote:

> Hi guys, i still can't enable the code to use my optical scanner to
> read code bars. Shall i use the "openser" comand ? I downloaded a pdk
> file in symbol site to my palm version, so i try acess a c function
> using this code:
>
>  function scan()
>   local scantry = loadlib("SimpleScan.c","StartApplication")
>   if not scantry then
>     gui.alert("File not found")
>     os.exit()
>   end
>   scantry()
>   end
>   scan()
>
> But it wasn't works. Somebody can say me if its possible ?
> Are there some lua code that can i use to acess the optical scanner ?

Yes, I'm sure it's possible, but not from just within Plua (can anyone
tell me if I'm mistaken?)  I don't think there's a serial interface to
the Symbol functionality on those devices.

Sounds like you're simply going to have to learn how to compile a C
program (or library) on the Palm platform.

You cannot just load "SimpleScan.c" as a library, because it will be
uncompiled C code, just words you or I could read.  You have to use a C
compiler (like CodeWarrior, GCC, or the like) to convert it into code.

Licensees (Sony, Symbol, Handspring, etc) would typically have libraries
to access their extra functionality in ROM on the device.  To compile
against it, the SDKs for the various licensees basically exposed these.

Plua comes with a library project that can be compiled (as with one of
the compilers above) into a library you can load and then execute code
from.  You'll need to encapsulate the calls to the symbol functions in
this library project, and then load this library project in your plua
application, and then you could do what you want.

Alternatively, you could pay someone to do this for you.

Best of luck.

-Ken