Newbie Question, I'm Sure, Re/ p...() Commands

Newbie Question, I'm Sure, Re/ p...() Commands

seekinganid
I am hoping that this is just a newbie question.  I just installed Plua 2.0 onto my Palm T3 running OS 5.2.1.  I see references to the use of such commands as pclear() and pevent() in various tutorials and examples, but Plua 2.0 does not seem like them.  I receive error messages to the effect of "attempt to call global 'pevent' (a nil value)"; same for pclear.

The following is the example code taken straight from the "First App in 10 Minutes: A Plua Tutorial":

-- FirstApp.lua
pmoveto(70,70)
plabel("My First App works!")
pevent()

Seems pretty simple and straight forward.  Is there some additional Plua component that I may be missing?  When I reference the built in Plua Help system there is no mention of these p... commands within the Index.  I am assuming that these are implemented in version 2.0 due to the usage of such in the various examples I have looked at.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Newbie Question, I'm Sure, Re/ p...() Commands

Berkant Atay
Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Plua.

pevent() and other commands starting with a "p" were used in Plua 1.x interpreters. Plua 2.x now uses gui.xxx() format. You will find the pluadoc.html in the zipped plua.zip file you have downloaded recently. And very good information in .pdf, or plucker format can be found in the documents folder of this yahoo group.

You're not the first one to jump and start writing plua 1 code under plua 2..!

Hope this helps.

Re: Newbie Question, I'm Sure, Re/ p...() Commands

seekinganid
Based upon the Wikipedia entry for Plua, it would appear that such commands as pevent and pclear are version 1.0 specific.  For version 2.0 I would use gui.event(ioPending) instead of pevent().  I'll try that out to see how well it works.

--- In [hidden email], "seekinganid" <e-mail@...> wrote:

> I am hoping that this is just a newbie question.  I just installed Plua 2.0 onto my Palm T3 running OS 5.2.1.  I see references to the use of such commands as pclear() and pevent() in various tutorials and examples, but Plua 2.0 does not seem like them.  I receive error messages to the effect of "attempt to call global 'pevent' (a nil value)"; same for pclear.
>
> The following is the example code taken straight from the "First App in 10 Minutes: A Plua Tutorial":
>
> -- FirstApp.lua
> pmoveto(70,70)
> plabel("My First App works!")
> pevent()
>
> Seems pretty simple and straight forward.  Is there some additional Plua component that I may be missing?  When I reference the built in Plua Help system there is no mention of these p... commands within the Index.  I am assuming that these are implemented in version 2.0 due to the usage of such in the various examples I have looked at.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Newbie Question, I'm Sure, Re/ p...() Commands

seekinganid
Did not see your response before sending my own response.  Thanks for the input.  I guess I am a typical programmer.  Read documentation?  Who does that?  :-)

--- In [hidden email], Berkant Atay <berkant_atay@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of Plua.
>
> pevent() and other commands starting with a "p" were used in Plua 1.x interpreters. Plua 2.x now uses gui.xxx() format. You will find the pluadoc.html in the zipped plua.zip file you have downloaded recently. And very good information in .pdf, or plucker format can be found in the documents folder of this yahoo group.
>
> You're not the first one to jump and start writing plua 1 code under plua 2..!
>
> Hope this helps.

Re: Re: Newbie Question, I'm Sure, Re/ p...() Commands

Helton Eduardo Ritter
In official site (plua 2.0 version) have some example:
http://meusite.uai.com.br/~mmand/plua/plua.htm

In this file http://meusite.uai.com.br/%7Emmand/plua/plua-2.0.zip have too a
"doc" directory with a "pluadoc.html" file.

I'm writing a blog about Plua too (and Lua)
http://vonluawelt.blogspot.com/search/label/English

Sorry my bad english

Bye.

2009/6/2, seekinganid <[hidden email]>:

> Did not see your response before sending my own response. Thanks for the
> input. I guess I am a typical programmer. Read documentation? Who does that?
> :-)
>
> --- In [hidden email] <plua%40yahoogroups.com>, Berkant Atay
> <berkant_atay@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Welcome to the wonderful world of Plua.
> >
> > pevent() and other commands starting with a "p" were used in Plua 1.x
> interpreters. Plua 2.x now uses gui.xxx() format. You will find the
> pluadoc.html in the zipped plua.zip file you have downloaded recently. And
> very good information in .pdf, or plucker format can be found in the
> documents folder of this yahoo group.
> >
> > You're not the first one to jump and start writing plua 1 code under plua
> 2..!
> >
> > Hope this helps.

Helton Eduardo Ritter - www.sourcedreams.com.br,  www.phpmagazine.org.br ,
livehelton.blogspot.com, vonluawelt.blogspot.com, www.setrem.com.br

"If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do
is wake up."(J. M. Power)

"Die Grenzen meiner Sprache bedeuten die Grenzen meiner Welt"(Ludwig
Wittgenstein)

Re: Re: Newbie Question, I'm Sure, Re/ p...() Commands

Cameron Kaiser
> Based upon the Wikipedia entry for Plua, it would appear that such commands
> as pevent and pclear are version 1.0 specific.

That is correct.

--
------------------------------------ personal: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/ --
  Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * [hidden email]