New Lua port announced

Ilja V.Levinson
Hi, Lua
I announce a new LUA port for OS-9 operating system is
available. It was not so hard, because Lua is a *very*
portable software. I've only added some OS-9 related
goodies like using memory modules for Lua compiled code.

Though Lua is positioned as an embedded language,
I'm going to use Lua instead Perl on my OS-9 box.
First, the syntax is really friendly, the function's set is very
rich (may be, adding directory reading utilitiess to iolib?),
and at least, it's very fast, small and uses very low resources.
Many thanks to Lua creators...

Although, there was a small problem with include file 'types.h'
in the main LUA directory.
The C-compiler find this file at first and don't include the main
system file with the same name from the default include directory.
So, I should include this system file with the full pathname in some
lua source files.
It seems, this Lua-'types.h' need to be renamed, for example, to
'luatypes.h'.

Regards,
 Ilja

    Ilja V.Levinson      | If fifty million people say a foolish
 Yekaterinburg, Russia   | thing, it is still a foolish thing.
  [hidden email]    |             **********

Re: New Lua port announced

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> First, the syntax is really friendly, the function's set is very
> rich (may be, adding directory reading utilities to iolib?)

Unfortunately, directory manipulation functions are not part of the ANSI
standard, so such functions are not present in iolib (that's the price
of being "a *very* portable software" :-)  In very short time there will
be available a small POSIX library, that will include all these typical
UNIX functions not present in ANSI C (directory manipulation, file access
information, user id's, etc). For more information, please contact
[hidden email] (he was supposed to have finished this library
some months ago...).

Re: New Lua port announced

John Fletcher
> Date:          Fri, 25 Jul 1997 11:39:10 -0300
> From:          Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]>
> To:            [hidden email]
> Subject:       Re: New Lua port announced

> > First, the syntax is really friendly, the function's set is very
> > rich (may be, adding directory reading utilities to iolib?)
>
> Unfortunately, directory manipulation functions are not part of the ANSI
> standard, so such functions are not present in iolib (that's the price
> of being "a *very* portable software" :-)  In very short time there will
> be available a small POSIX library, that will include all these typical
> UNIX functions not present in ANSI C (directory manipulation, file access
> information, user id's, etc). For more information, please contact
> [hidden email] (he was supposed to have finished this library
> some months ago...).
>
> -- Roberto

Please bear in mind that there are DOS based users also, so a DOS
version of such routines would be useful, as would a DOS
distribution of LUA (*.zip file, DOS style source files)

Thanks

John

Dr John P. Fletcher          Tel: (44) 121 359 3611 ext 4625
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry (CEAC),
Aston University,            Fax: (44) 121 359 4094
Aston Triangle,              Email: [hidden email]
BIRMINGHAM B4 7ET  U.K.
CEAC Web site http://www.ceac.aston.ac.uk/