My opening post to this group

MewL
As I have been approved to join this group, I would like to take this
opportunity to say hello and to thank you all for allowing me access.

Thus, as tradition dictates, I will now bore you with a little
background information pertinent, I hope, to this group's interest :)

Although my core programming language is Borland Delphi 5 and 7, I
stumbled across Lua while looking into Sony PSP homebrew programming
solutions.

I initially dismissed Lua for being a script/run-time interpreted
language rather than pre-compiled. I lay the blame for this prejudice
squarely with M$ VB 4.0 which I wrestled with before discovering (at
that time) Delphi 2.

However, after installing the PSP port of LuaPlayer and running a few
sample scripts, it became clear that Lua could produce games and
applications on this platform that come very close to commercial
products in both quality and speed (although close attention to script
optimization must be observed to achieve the latter). With my interest
piqued, I then obtained a Windows Lua IDE and began to look at this
language in more detail. Being used to object pascal, which is a
strongly typed language, it took some time to get used to the freedom
which Lua offers in it's constructs and declarations. Tables being an
excellent example of this.

So why, you ask, would I be interested in Plua and this discussion
group? Well, I earn my bread and butter as a commercial vehicle
electrical technician (sparks) and own a somewhat ancient but
operational Palm Tungsten W running Cummins QuickCheck III engine
diagnostics package.

http://quickcheck.cummins.com/products/qc3.html
(sorry if commercial links are not allowed)

This application reads fault codes and monitors various engine
perameters in real time via the C.A.N bus (SAE J1939) protocol when
connected to a Cummins DataLink adapter. "Fascinating!" I hear you cry
:) OK, to cut an already long story short, Cummins are no longer
supporting Palm products in favor of Pocket PC devices. Thus, I hope
to use Plua as a prototyping platform to continue to develop my own
version of this package, enabling the databases to be updated with the
latest engine data as well as adding features that were lacking in the
original product.

I also think it would be a blast just to program some of those 'must
have' mini apps you see listed on the Palm freeware sites such as:

Sock Tracker Professional v4.2 - keeps track of your socks collection
Rock-Paper-Scissors v2.1 - A game of strategy

Just kidding :) There's some impressive, free products out there.

Anyway, that's my story and why I wanted to join. To have access to
Marcio's excellent Plua package and to tap into the knowleage and
experience of this group as a whole.

Right, I better stop here as most of you will be fast asleep by now :)

Thanks again.

Re: My opening post to this group

migueletto-2
--- In [hidden email], "slick.henry" <slick.henry@...> wrote:

> As I have been approved to join this group, I would like to take this
> opportunity to say hello and to thank you all for allowing me access.

Welcome to the group. It is a bit quiet around here at the moment. I
have not had the time to work in Plua recently, but I hope to get back
soon.

Regards,
Marcio.

--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <migueletto@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "slick.henry" <slick.henry@> wrote:
>
> > As I have been approved to join this group, I would like to take this
> > opportunity to say hello and to thank you all for allowing me access.
>
> Welcome to the group. It is a bit quiet around here at the moment. I
> have not had the time to work in Plua recently, but I hope to get back
> soon.
>
> Regards,
> Marcio.

Hi Marcio,

It will take me some time to familliarize myself with the current
version of Plua. So I won't be shouting "MARCIO! IS THE NEXT BETA DONE
YET!" anytime soon I assure you :)

Great work
Slick =)