Multi-version index reference manual

François Perrad
Now, there are many Lua versions and it is not easy to compare their reference manuals.
I aggregate the index of each version (5.1 -> 5.4) in one multi-version index.

I think this kind of resource could be useful on lua.org, near the actual reference manuals.

In attachment, the script used, but not the generated HTML which is detected as spam.

François

Re: Multi-version index reference manual

Thijs Schreijer

On 16 Oct 2019, at 09:09, François Perrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

Now, there are many Lua versions and it is not easy to compare their reference manuals.
I aggregate the index of each version (5.1 -> 5.4) in one multi-version index.

I think this kind of resource could be useful on lua.org, near the actual reference manuals.

In attachment, the script used, but not the generated HTML which is detected as spam.

François

That is really nice! It would indeed be a great addition to lua.org.

Thijs

Re: Multi-version index reference manual

Egor Skriptunoff-2
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 10:09 AM François Perrad wrote:
Now, there are many Lua versions and it is not easy to compare their reference manuals.
I aggregate the index of each version (5.1 -> 5.4) in one multi-version index.

That's useful.
BTW, luaopen_utf8 is missed.

Thanks, fixed.

Re: Multi-version index reference manual

> I think this kind of resource could be useful on lua.org, near the actual reference manuals.

Here it is http://www.lua.org/manual/contents.html . It still needs
some work, though.

Re: Multi-version index reference manual

Philippe Verdy
I'm not convinced that presenting that in a multicolumn table with one column per version is the most useful. This makes the list overlong.
I could just prefer having a single list, possibly with markers with version range indicators, or a selector of versions at top to filter the list, that can then be presented in a more compact way (grayed would be used for deprecated, no longer supported, or still not supported in a version). The whole list should remain displayed.
Note that these are just for the core integrated API, when an API is still supported by an optional addon, library or specific compiler option, there should be an indicator about this.
Keeping that list coherent is needed to make sure we can keep an eye on version upgrades and understand compatibility. Unfortunately, unlike most other development frameworks, Lua is not upward compatible, and there's still no common emulation layer that can be used to preserve the upward compatibility (like this exists in Javascript, and DOM APIs, and many frameworks that prefer tracking obsolete APIs and help migrate them, or explain why some of them are definitely removed and blocked and what alternatives may be attempted, possibly with some redesign of applications)

Le mer. 16 oct. 2019 à 15:49, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> I think this kind of resource could be useful on lua.org, near the actual reference manuals.

Here it is http://www.lua.org/manual/contents.html . It still needs
some work, though.

Re: Multi-version index reference manual

Ryan Ford-2
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 09:09:18 +0200

Try https://devdocs.io . Has v5.1 - 5.3 at the moment, and is open source for maintenance and extension. It's a front-end for lots of projects' documentation: notable to Lua users it has ngx_lua (openresty), löve2d, and the modern Lua's (not 5.4 yet).

Re: Multi-version index reference manual

François Perrad

Le mer. 16 oct. 2019 à 15:49, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> I think this kind of resource could be useful on lua.org, near the actual reference manuals.

Here it is http://www.lua.org/manual/contents.html . It still needs
some work, though.

The header of section `utf8` is missing.

François

Re: Multi-version index reference manual

François Perrad

Le mer. 16 oct. 2019 à 15:49, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> I think this kind of resource could be useful on lua.org, near the actual reference manuals.

Here it is http://www.lua.org/manual/contents.html . It still needs
some work, though.

A nice to have : a CLI options section in the index.
Once aggregated, that allows a table like this:

+---------+---------+---------+---------+
| Lua 5.1 | Lua 5.2 | Lua 5.3 | Lua 5.4 |

François