More Makefile Questions

Russell Haley
Hi there,

I was wondering why the Lua Makefile requires a target for each OS,
when that functionality is something that can be automated in all make
systems with little effort?  I know very little about make, but I was
able to mangle the luasys Makefile to remove the need for an OS
dependant target:

https://github.com/RussellHaley/luasys/blob/master/src/Makefile

I have not tested the mingw logic, but that is something simple. I
would like to see the requirement for OS specific targets disappear as
I am building for both Debian and FreeBSD and, well, it can be
automated with no difference to the end user.

If there is interest in pursuing this feature, I will try and put a
patch together in the near future, otherwise, it's no big deal.

Thanks so much!

Russ

Re: More Makefile Questions

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> I was wondering why the Lua Makefile requires a target for each OS,
> when that functionality is something that can be automated in all make
> systems with little effort?
>
> https://github.com/RussellHaley/luasys/blob/master/src/Makefile

While your Makefile may be somewhat automated, I don't think it's any clearer,
but of course tastes differ.

Anyway, the Makefile in the tarball is meant to be a record of recipes
that work. (And we rely on feedback on this.) We also have targeted the
lowest denominator of makes, which is probably close to the original
make by Feldman.