Minor manual nitpick

Sergey Zakharchenko
Hello,

Noticed this when browsing latest commits...

https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/af6d9f31165a13c34c0601f37ca5a67c365d1d01/manual/manual.of#L1798

> (depending on internal cashing details).

Those should be caching, not cashing, details, right?

Best regards,

DoubleF

Re: Minor manual nitpick

Dirk Laurie-2
Op Wo. 19 Des. 2018 om 08:00 het Sergey Zakharchenko
<[hidden email]> geskryf:

> Hello,
>
> Noticed this when browsing latest commits...
>
> https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/af6d9f31165a13c34c0601f37ca5a67c365d1d01/manual/manual.of#L1798
>
> > (depending on internal cashing details).
>
> Those should be caching, not cashing, details, right?

Freudian slip?

Re: Minor manual nitpick

Sergey Zakharchenko
List,

> > https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/af6d9f31165a13c34c0601f37ca5a67c365d1d01/manual/manual.of#L1798

By the way, the "detectable difference" between functions, especially
if you mean detectable at runtime without debug tricks and
string.dump() (i.e. different extensionally as some would put it), is
quite vague and surprisingly hard to decide upon in practice (trust
me, I know). Any chance of this being elaborated further?

Best regards,

--
DoubleF

P.S.

> Freudian slip?

Certainly hope not...

Re: Minor manual nitpick

Sergey Zakharchenko
Sergey Zakharchenko <[hidden email]>:
> > > https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/af6d9f31165a13c34c0601f37ca5a67c365d1d01/manual/manual.of#L1798
[detectable difference between functions]

Possible alternate wording (may or may not be what you meant; note
that string.dump() equality never implied extensional equality anyway
so this isn't a breaking change really):

A function is always equal to itself. Functions may also compare equal
to other functions (depending on internal caching details). If they
do, their observable behaviour, but not necessarily the internal
represenation as observed via e.g. string.dump(), will be equivalent.

Best regards,

DoubleF

Re: Minor manual nitpick

Viacheslav Usov
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 10:08 AM Sergey Zakharchenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any chance of this being elaborated further?

I am pretty sure this is vague on purpose, and it should be like that, because comparing functions for equality will either need to expose implementation details or have to be underspecified.

What is specified is already pretty strong, mandating, for example, that JIT recompilation (if any) should behave so that the function "values" taken before and after recompilation compare equal.

Cheers,
V.

Re: Minor manual nitpick

Marc Balmer

> Am 19.12.2018 um 06:59 schrieb Sergey Zakharchenko <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> Noticed this when browsing latest commits...
>
> https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/af6d9f31165a13c34c0601f37ca5a67c365d1d01/manual/manual.of#L1798
>
>> (depending on internal cashing details).
>
> Those should be caching, not cashing, details, right?

Maybe that is because we use Lua in our point of sale / cash register software.... ;)