Material on reading lua source code

Italo Maia
Hi folks!

As our lua bible, we have the "Programming In Lua" series, by Roberto, but, what do we have as our lua source bible? If you want to read the lua source code, what do you need to know and how do you get there? And how should you read it?

--
"A arrogância é a arma dos fracos."

===========================
Me. Italo Moreira Campelo Maia
Co-fundador do Grupo de Usuários Python do Ceará
Secretário ForHacker (fb.com/ForHackerSpace)
Desenvolvedor Full-Stack, Escritor, Empresário, Visionário
Meu Livro, Site, Blog
===========================

Re: Material on reading lua source code

Michal Kottman
On Tue, Dec 10, 2019, 5:06 PM Italo Maia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks!

As our lua bible, we have the "Programming In Lua" series, by Roberto, but, what do we have as our lua source bible? If you want to read the lua source code, what do you need to know and how do you get there? And how should you read it?

Please see https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/63hth/comment/c02pxbp for a recommendation on the Lua soruce read order.

Meu Livro, Site, Blog
===========================

Meu Livro, Site, Blog
===========================

Re: Material on reading lua source code

Gabriel de Quadros Ligneul
Italo,

It depends what you are looking for. Regarding the Lua values, objects and virtual machine, I recommend the paper "The Implementation of Lua 5.0" by Roberto, Luiz and Waldemar. It is a little bit outdated but most of the ideas are the same.

There is also another paper by Kein-Hong Man called "A No-Frills Introduction to Lua 5.1 VM Instructions" that is very insightful. I have found an updated work-in-progress version by Dibyendu Majumdar here: https://the-ravi-programming-language.readthedocs.io/en/latest/lua_bytecode_reference.html

Both these papers helped me a lot when I needed to delve into the source code.

Regards,
Gabriel

Meu Livro, Site, Blog

Re: Material on reading lua source code

Italo Maia
Thank for the links and suggestions! I'll take a look and compile them somewhere.
Gary, there seems to be a problem with the link. Firefox gave me a warning from it.
Chuang, do you plan to have it translated in another language?

Meu Livro, Site, Blog