Marcio - Please clarify plua license

David McNab
To Marcio and other Plua developers,

The only license documentation included in Plua distributions appears
at the top of the manual, and reads:

"THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, SO USE IT AT YOUR
OWN RISK. Plua can not be reverse engineered or modified in any way.
To include Plua in any software collection, online or not, first
contact the author for permission. No one is allowed to sell or charge
for redistributing Plua. Plua is Copyright (c) Marcio M. Andrade."

Marcio et al, could you please clarify your licensing with respect to
people publishing their own Plua-based applications and including a
plua runtime prc?

What is your definition of 'software collection' in the above wording?
Does it include a distribution package for a Plua application (the
author's own Plua app compiled to a PRC, the Plua runtime PRC and
maybe MathLib and others)?

I'm ready to start developing real Plua applications for the real
world, but I need to know that your license permits me to publish such
apps. I need to know that if I include the plua runtime prc with my
app packages, that I won't be breaching your copyright.

Until or unless you clarify your licensing, Plua app developers have
no choice except to publish their apps as a pluac-compiled PRC file,
along with a readme.txt that:
1) tells user to join Yahoo Groups
2) tells user to join the Plua group
3) tells user to download a specific Plua package from the Files
   section
4) tells user to install the app's PRC along with the Plua runtime PRC

I'm sure you'd understand that many users would just click away rather
than go through all that rigmarole. Also, such packaging is very
unprofessional, given that other apps come bundled with a single EXE
file - just doubleclick it, hotsync palm, all done.

Even if you, Marcio, just post a reply to this group with a couple of
quick sentences formally granting people the right to include plua
runtime prc with their apps, that would be quite sufficient.

Other options include:
 - putting a 'Plua License' document in the Files section of this
yahoogroups site
 - include a license document in all Plua distro files

Thanks in advance for your attention to this

Cheers
David

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Marcio - Please clarify plua license

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Friday 10 February 2006 11:08 pm, daviddmcnab wrote:
>  I'm sure you'd understand that many users would just click away rather
>  than go through all that rigmarole. Also, such packaging is very
>  unprofessional, given that other apps come bundled with a single EXE
>  file - just doubleclick it, hotsync palm, all done.

that's assuming users have windows at their desktops.  i much prefer to have
PRC files.  of course, you're right that any strange dependencies would make
me search for another solution.

--
Javier

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Marcio - Please clarify plua license

LarryT-3

Javier Guerra <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Friday 10 February 2006 11:08 pm, daviddmcnab wrote:
> >  I'm sure you'd understand that many users would just click away rather
> >  than go through all that rigmarole. Also, such packaging is very
> >  unprofessional, given that other apps come bundled with a single EXE
> >  file - just doubleclick it, hotsync palm, all done.
>
> that's assuming users have windows at their desktops.  i much prefer to have
> PRC files.  of course, you're right that any strange dependencies would make
> me search for another solution.

+1

The OP was going pretty good until he got to the EXE business.

-larry

Yahoo! Groups Links

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Marcio - Please clarify plua license

migueletto

> Marcio et al, could you please clarify your licensing with respect to
> people publishing their own Plua-based applications and including a
> plua runtime prc?
>
> What is your definition of 'software collection' in the above wording?
> Does it include a distribution package for a Plua application (the
> author's own Plua app compiled to a PRC, the Plua runtime PRC and
> maybe MathLib and others)?

By software collection I mean online software distribution sites like
PalmGear, Handango, etc, or software achives distributed in CDROMs,
for example. Applications that you build with Plua are not considered
software collections in this context.

> Even if you, Marcio, just post a reply to this group with a couple of
> quick sentences formally granting people the right to include plua
> runtime prc with their apps, that would be quite sufficient.

You are allowed to include the Plua runtime (pluart.prc) with any
applications you distribute, free of charge, no royalties. The Plua
runtime is the only component you can include. You can not include
Plua (plua.prc), the desktop Plua compiler (pluac.exe), or any other
part of the Plua distribution. Mathlib is not part of Plua, so you
must check its specific license.

As you have noticed, the only place you can find Plua 2.0 is in this
group. The reason is it is not ready for public launch yet. I do not
recommend distributing the Plua 2.0 runtime, because newer revisions
will almost certainly break source code and binary compatibility with
the current release.

Regards,
Marcio.

--- In [hidden email], larryt@... wrote:
> The OP was going pretty good until he got to the EXE business.

Hehe, fair cop.

The OP uses Debian, and prefers to distribute .tar.bz2 files
containing the PRCs and doco, often source as well.

But with the project he has in mind, the OP is targeting a specific
market who probably think 'Linux' is a new brand of kitchen floor
covering.

--- In [hidden email], "migueletto" <mmand@...> wrote:
> You are allowed to include the Plua runtime (pluart.prc) with any
> applications you distribute, free of charge, no royalties. The Plua
> runtime is the only component you can include. You can not include
> Plua (plua.prc), the desktop Plua compiler (pluac.exe), or any other
> part of the Plua distribution. Mathlib is not part of Plua, so you
> must check its specific license.

Many thanks for that.

> As you have noticed, the only place you can find Plua 2.0 is in this
> group. The reason is it is not ready for public launch yet. I do not
> recommend distributing the Plua 2.0 runtime, because newer revisions
> will almost certainly break source code and binary compatibility with
> the current release.

Thanks for the warning.
Great to know the Plua project is very much alive. :)