Luajit an preemptive multitasking

Johann HÃchtl
Does anybody have experience with using luajit an preemptive threading efforts (especially lua lanes) together? I plan not to use Lua+C (FFI), but only plain lua, if this would make a difference.

BTW: I both read the documentation for Lua lanes and Lua Tasks. I feel like going with lanes, unfortunately the documentation of lanes lackes the comparison with lua tasks. What are the main differences?

Regards,
    Johann

Re: Luajit an preemptive multitasking

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Wednesday 19 December 2007, Johann HÃchtl wrote:
> BTW: I both read the documentation for Lua lanes and Lua Tasks. I feel like
> going with lanes, unfortunately the documentation of lanes lackes the
> comparison with lua tasks. What are the main differences?

i beleive they're very similar in approach: create several OS threads, one Lua
state on each, add a few calls to pass data between one state and the other.

the main difference is that LuaTasks is quite old, and i haven't seen much
improvement for a long time; Lanes, OTOH, is very active currently.

I'd go with Lanes

--
Javier

Re: Luajit an preemptive multitasking

Daniel Quintela
Javier Guerra Giraldez escribió:
"... the main difference is that LuaTasks is quite old, and i haven't seen much improvement for a long time ..."

ouch!... that hurts!...  ;-)

Daniel

On 12/19/07, Daniel Quintela <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Javier Guerra Giraldez escribiÃ:
> > "... the main difference is that LuaTasks is quite old, and i haven't seen much
> > improvement for a long time ..."
> >

> ouch!... that hurts!...  ;-)

would it make it easier to say that my own projects are stagnating
even worse? :-)

in fact, i was ashamed to mention helper threads toolkit...

--
Javier