Luacom Excel Question

Geoff Smith
Hello

I am writing a script that uses Luacom to create an Excel spreadsheet.

I am stuck on an annoying problem. I want to write a comment to a cell. I can get the comment red triangle to appear in my spreadsheet and I can set the name of the author, but the comment text body that I am trying to set is always missing.

sheet.Cells(1, 10).AddComment("Test", "anAuthor")
sheet:Range("E5").AddComment("Test", "anAuthor")

Both of these lines work in they dont generate an error and both show the author string but both do not show "Test" in the spreadsheet

Is this a luacom bug or am I doing something wrong here ?  Any help from a luacom expert would be appreciated, thanks

Geoff

Re: Luacom Excel Question

彭 书呆
在 2019/2/28 19:11, Geoff Smith 写道:

> Hello
>
> I am writing a script that uses Luacom to create an Excel spreadsheet.
>
> I am stuck on an annoying problem. I want to write a comment to a cell. I can get the comment red triangle to appear in my spreadsheet and I can set the name of the author, but the comment text body that I am trying to set is always missing.
>
> sheet.Cells(1, 10).AddComment("Test", "anAuthor")
> sheet:Range("E5").AddComment("Test", "anAuthor")
>
> Both of these lines work in they dont generate an error and both show the author string but both do not show "Test" in the spreadsheet
>
> Is this a luacom bug or am I doing something wrong here ?  Any help from a luacom expert would be appreciated, thanks
>
> Geoff

neither an expert on luacom nor on excel, but I suppose you
should call ``AddComment`` with a colon instead of a dot.

also, the ``Cells`` method probably should also be called using colon.

try these lines, see if they worked:

```
sheet:Cells(1, 10):AddComment("Test", "anAuthor")
sheet:Range("E5"):AddComment("Test", "anAuthor")
```

Re: Luacom Excel Question

Geoff Smith
Thanks very much for the suggestion.  Excellent, that was the solution !

As it was sort of half working, and didnt  complain about a missing "self" in an error message which it often does if you get a dot instead of a colon then it never occurred  to me to try it.

These 2 examples work now

sheet.Cells(3, 3):AddComment("Test at 3 3\nSecond Line")
sheet:Range("E5"):AddComment("Test hello at E5")

>From a quick check of the MS Docs it looks like author isnt a parameter for this function, so not sure where i got that from.

Regards Geoff