Luabind on Intel Macs

Jesse A.
First of all, many thanks for the great library.

I read some posts from a while ago indicating that Luabind didn't work with Intel Macs due to endianness issues. It seems likely this has changed since then, but I haven't been able to find anything in the forums or documentation confirming this. (At the moment I don't have an Intel Mac available to test this myself.)

Is this still an issue? Or does the current version of Luabind work 'out of the box' with Intel Macs?

Thanks,
Jesse

Re: Luabind on Intel Macs

Kristoffer Danielsson
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a MacBook Pro. Probably not the same, but it works :)

> Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 06:23:41 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [luabind] Luabind on Intel Macs
>

> First of all, many thanks for the great library.
>
> I read some posts from a while ago indicating that Luabind didn't work with
> Intel Macs due to endianness issues. It seems likely this has changed since
> then, but I haven't been able to find anything in the forums or
> documentation confirming this. (At the moment I don't have an Intel Mac
> available to test this myself.)
>
> Is this still an issue? Or does the current version of Luabind work 'out of
> the box' with Intel Macs?
>
> Thanks,
> Jesse

Hitta kärleken! Klicka här MSN Dejting

Re: Luabind on Intel Macs

Jesse A.
Kristoffer Danielsson wrote
I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a MacBook Pro. Probably not the same, but it works :)
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm not certain about this, but I think these are two different scenarios (as you suggested). What I'm wondering about specifically is if there are any endianness issues when building and using Luabind in OS X (and on an Intel Mac).

Re: Luabind on Intel Macs

Tony Kostanjsek
I've been using it since 0.7 on Intel Mac and never had any endianness problems.

> I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a MacBook Pro. Probably not the same, but
> it works :)

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm not certain about this, but I think these are two different scenarios
(as you suggested). What I'm wondering about specifically is if there are
any endianness issues when building and using Luabind in OS X (and on an
Intel Mac).

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Luabind on Intel Macs

Tom McCubbin-2
I have to chime in on this as an old-timer.  The so called endianness issue relates to the order of bytes in numbers.  To clarify, imagine a 32 bit integer.  This is made of 4 bytes ( 8 bits each of course: 4 * 8 = 32 ).  Think of the number 4321.  The four is the most significant number ( 4 thousand ) and the 1 the least significant ( only 1 ).  There is no reason we need 'store' the number in memory like this.  We could just as well rewrite the number in opposite order ( 4321 -> 1234 ) as long as we all agree on where the least significant number is placed, first or last.

It is the same for big endian and little endian hardware.  One writes the number 1234 in memory, and the other 4321.  Furthermore, this is relevant at the hardware level and really has no bearing on the luabind library.

What you may find is if you persist raw binary encoded numbers across hardware platforms such as the power5/sparc and intel platforms which have opposite endianness the numbers need to be adjusted when moved from platform to platform, or otherwise streamed across the net, hence the family of ntoh and hton family of byte swapping functions.  (And to be a nit pick, most of the power 5 platforms can be reconfigured at boot time to be either endianness, its just apple chose to run it in network byte order like sun sparc, the opposite of intel hardware )

The only real issue for luabind on os X is not the endianness, but whether lua runs there, and whether the version of gcc on the target supports the features luabind uses.  I haven't been very active on that platform for nearly a year, but I can only imagine that you will have no problems on current versions of OS X w/ up to date compilers.

And to foam at the mouth for one more moment, luabind is an awesome binding library with excellent support so if you have any problem on OS X I'm sure you'll find a quick response on this list...

-the old dude

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Tony Kostanjsek <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been using it since 0.7 on Intel Mac and never had any endianness problems.

> I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a MacBook Pro. Probably not the same, but
> it works :)

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm not certain about this, but I think these are two different scenarios
(as you suggested). What I'm wondering about specifically is if there are
any endianness issues when building and using Luabind in OS X (and on an
Intel Mac).

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Luabind on Intel Macs

Jesse A.
Thanks for your reply Tom. Of course, I understand the concept of endianness and the implications for low-level code - I had just read in a post from a couple of years ago that Luabind 'assumed big-endian byte order' when compiled on Mac, and was just wondering what that was in reference to exactly and whether it had any implications when using Luabind on an Intel Mac.

In any case, perhaps that post was incorrect (it does sound like people are using Luabind successfully with OS X running on Intel Macs).

>> luabind is an awesome binding library...

Agreed :)