Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4 doesn't work with x64

Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4 doesn't work with x64

David Osipyan-3
Hi

I've an issue with Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4.

The cast_failed exception appears in a simple code.

I see that x64 issues are fixed in 0.9
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Another-x64-warning-p27818978.html

However Luabind 0.9.1 works with Win32 app
but fails in x64.

Best,
David Osipyan

Re: Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4 doesn't work with x64

eduard mueller
I think I ran into the same problem:
http://old.nabble.com/inheritance-cast_graph-cache-bug-fix-td29936577.html

Proposed fix at least works fine for me....

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 16:37, David Osipyan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've an issue with Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4.
>
> The cast_failed exception appears in a simple code.
>
> I see that x64 issues are fixed in 0.9
> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Another-x64-warning-p27818978.html
>
> However Luabind 0.9.1 works with Win32 app
> but fails in x64.
>

> Best,
> David Osipyan

Re: Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4 doesn't work with x64

David Osipyan-3
I've applied this fix to 0.9.1 but the result is the same.

Found that the reason is using of size_t in code bound to lua.

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM, eduard mueller
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I ran into the same problem:
> http://old.nabble.com/inheritance-cast_graph-cache-bug-fix-td29936577.html
>
> Proposed fix at least works fine for me....
>

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 16:37, David Osipyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've an issue with Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4.
>>
>> The cast_failed exception appears in a simple code.
>>
>> I see that x64 issues are fixed in 0.9
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Another-x64-warning-p27818978.html
>>
>> However Luabind 0.9.1 works with Win32 app
>> but fails in x64.
>>

>> Best,
>> David Osipyan

Best regards
David Osipyan

Re: Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4 doesn't work with x64

liam mail

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I ran into the same problem:
> http://old.nabble.com/inheritance-cast_graph-cache-bug-fix-td29936577.html
>
> Proposed fix at least works fine for me....
>

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 16:37, David Osipyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've an issue with Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4.
>>
>> The cast_failed exception appears in a simple code.
>>
>> I see that x64 issues are fixed in 0.9
>> http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Another-x64-warning-p27818978.html
>>
>> However Luabind 0.9.1 works with Win32 app
>> but fails in x64.
>>

>> Best,
>> David Osipyan

Best regards
David Osipyan

If size_t is passed or stored in Lua then it is possible that by default Lua can not represent all the values of size_t. The size of size_t is implementation defined yet it is _normally_ 32 bits on x86 and 64 bits on x86_64 yet the implementation can use any value greater or equal to 2 ^16 -1. If you want to allow Lua to use the full range of a 64 bit number then you have to modify the core[1], the other option is to remove any type which can be 64 bits on an arch and instead use sized types.

Re: Luabind 0.9.1+ Lua 5.1.4 doesn't work with x64

David Osipyan-3
Thanks!

Removing 64 bit integers is impossible.
Because some stuff like std::vector<int>::size_type used.

I'll try to use Win64 libs from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/luabinaries/files/5.1.4/Windows%20Libraries/
before core modifications.

BTW. Here is a 64 bit patch for Lua http://luaforge.net/projects/lnum/

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM, liam mail <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 April 2011 16:34, David Osipyan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've applied this fix to 0.9.1 but the result is the same.
>>
>> Found that the reason is using of size_t in code bound to lua.
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:37 PM, eduard mueller
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I think I ran into the same problem:
>> >
>> > http://old.nabble.com/inheritance-cast_graph-cache-bug-fix-td29936577.html
>> >
>> > Proposed fix at least works fine for me....

>> --
>> Best regards
>> David Osipyan

> If size_t is passed or stored in Lua then it is possible that by default Lua
> can not represent all the values of size_t. The size of size_t is
> implementation defined yet it is _normally_ 32 bits on x86 and 64 bits on
> x86_64 yet the implementation can use any value greater or equal to 2 ^16
> -1. If you want to allow Lua to use the full range of a 64 bit number then
> you have to modify the core[1], the other option is to remove any type which
> can be 64 bits on an arch and instead use sized types.
>
> [1] http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2010-11/msg00098.html

Best regards
David Osipyan