LuaSec install

aryajur
Hi,
        When I try to install LuaSec using Luarocks it fails saying cannot find openssl/ssl.h. Where can I find the install instructions.

Thanks,
Milind

Re: LuaSec install

Daurnimator
On 18 May 2015 at 16:52, Milind Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>         When I try to install LuaSec using Luarocks it fails saying cannot
> find openssl/ssl.h. Where can I find the install instructions.
>
> Thanks,
> Milind

As the error message says, you need openssl/ssl.h to compile luasec from source.
Depending on your operating system and/or distro, you may have to install it.

To guess at the most likely situation: debian and derivitives I think
the package is named 'libssl-dev'.

Re: LuaSec install

Nagaev Boris
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 7:22 AM, Daurnimator <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 May 2015 at 16:52, Milind Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>         When I try to install LuaSec using Luarocks it fails saying cannot
>> find openssl/ssl.h. Where can I find the install instructions.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Milind
>
> As the error message says, you need openssl/ssl.h to compile luasec from source.
> Depending on your operating system and/or distro, you may have to install it.
>
> To guess at the most likely situation: debian and derivitives I think
> the package is named 'libssl-dev'.

Sometimes luasec complains about missing libraries to link against. I
install luasec on Debian with the following command:

luarocks install luasec OPENSSL_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

--

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev

Re: LuaSec install

aryajur
I am doing this in windows. Do I need to compile openssl first?

Thanks,
Milind

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

On 18 May 2015 at 16:52, Milind Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>         When I try to install LuaSec using Luarocks it fails saying cannot
> find openssl/ssl.h. Where can I find the install instructions.
>
> Thanks,
> Milind

As the error message says, you need openssl/ssl.h to compile luasec from source.
Depending on your operating system and/or distro, you may have to install it.

To guess at the most likely situation: debian and derivitives I think
the package is named 'libssl-dev'.

Re: LuaSec install

Thijs Schreijer

Yes. But you're also up against some more trouble.

The rockspec doesn't work on Windows. There is one that does, in some branch (on mobile, so no links, sorry about that). But that one doesn't work with the branch it is in (or maybe this last issue is only for mingw)

So compile openssl.
Download the last luasec release and unpack it.
Fetch development rockspec and add to root of unpacked luasec.
Then run 'luarocks make' in the root.

Hth
Thijs

Op 18 mei 2015 14:48 schreef Milind <[hidden email]>:
I am doing this in windows. Do I need to compile openssl first?

Thanks,
Milind

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

On 18 May 2015 at 16:52, Milind Gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>         When I try to install LuaSec using Luarocks it fails saying cannot
> find openssl/ssl.h. Where can I find the install instructions.
>
> Thanks,
> Milind

As the error message says, you need openssl/ssl.h to compile luasec from source.
Depending on your operating system and/or distro, you may have to install it.

To guess at the most likely situation: debian and derivitives I think
the package is named 'libssl-dev'.

Re: LuaSec install

steve donovan
I see that the Windows package manager Chocolatey has OpenSSL

https://chocolatey.org/packages/OpenSSL.Light

(Interesting idea - actually not having to download dodgy files or
compile big packages.)

No idea where it puts the resulting libraries and headers, however

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Milind <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am doing this in windows. Do I need to compile openssl first?
>
> Thanks,
> Milind
>

> Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Philipp Janda
Am 18.05.2015 um 16:32 schröbte steve donovan:
> I see that the Windows package manager Chocolatey has OpenSSL
>
> https://chocolatey.org/packages/OpenSSL.Light
>
> (Interesting idea - actually not having to download dodgy files or
> compile big packages.)
>
> No idea where it puts the resulting libraries and headers, however

Chocolatey is for applications and not for libraries, so it is possible
that there are no header files installed by this package (also the
description says: "Installs the most commonly used essentials of Win32
OpenSSL v1.0.2a (Recommended for users by the creators of OpenSSL)."

However, there is also a full package here[1], which probably includes
header files and libraries since it is intended for software developers
("Installs Win32 OpenSSL v1.0.2a (Recommended for software developers by
the creators of OpenSSL).").

Both versions apparently use the MSVC 2008 runtime.

For development packages you usually look in the NuGet gallery[2]. There
are multiple versions available, linking to different C runtime
libraries. Header files usually are installed in a
`build/native/include` subdirectory in the downloaded package, similarly
import libraries can be found in subdirectories like
`build/native/lib/Win32/Release` (DLLs are in separate `.dist` packages
with similar directory layouts).

If you use MinGW instead of a MS compiler, I'd recommend the
win-builds[3] package manager, which can install OpenSSL (and a bunch of
other libraries), linked to the old `MSVCRT.DLL`. Include files and
libraries are in Unix-like `include` and `lib` directories.

(I have spent some time evaluating different package managers for use
with LuaRocks on Windows).

Philipp

   [1]: https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
   [2]: http://www.nuget.org/packages?q=openssl
   [3]: http://win-builds.org/doku.php/start

Re: LuaSec install

steve donovan
On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:18 PM, Philipp Janda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you use MinGW instead of a MS compiler, I'd recommend the win-builds[3]
> package manager, which can install OpenSSL (and a bunch of other libraries),
> linked to the old `MSVCRT.DLL`. Include files and libraries are in Unix-like
> `include` and `lib` directories.

Thanks, Phillip - that's much more to my taste!  Chasing MSVC runtime
changes is tiring.

(I note that Lua is one of the things available)

Re: LuaSec install

Paul K-2
Hi Milind,

> I am doing this in windows. Do I need to compile openssl first?

Yes. I have a script in ZeroBrane Studio that builds luassl on Windows
using mingw (https://github.com/pkulchenko/ZeroBraneStudio/blob/master/build/build-win32.sh).
If you run it from ZBS repository as "(cd build; bash ./build-win32.sh
lua luasec)", it will build bin/ssl.dll, which includes luasec and
openssl library in one dll linked against lua51.dll. The build script
retrieves the sources, so you don't need to do anything manually; it
references luasec-0.4.1 and openssl-1.0.1e, but you can update the
URLs to use more recent versions.

If you already have ssl.dll with luasec, you can get ssleay32.dll and
libeay32.dll modules from one of the distributions that comes with it;
for example, they are usually included with wget, subversion, and some
other packages.

Paul.

Re: LuaSec install

aryajur
Thank you all for the responses. Thanks Paul for doing all that work. I will try it out shortly.

Thanks,
Milind

Hi Milind,