LuaRocks GUI

jitesh pabla
Hello everyone I'm going to build a GUI for LuaRocks this summer as a GSoC project, so there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone:
1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?
2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be embedded into the main distribution?
3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?

Re: LuaRocks GUI

Charles Heywood
  1. `luarocks install`, and probably some way to upgrade all packages (or to be able to select ones)
  2. separate rock - luarocks internal should avoid as many dependencies as possible (and can then be used to install your rock)
  3. no, but I also don't use a GUI for most things if I can avoid it

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 11:17 AM jitesh pabla <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone I'm going to build a GUI for LuaRocks this summer as a GSoC project, so there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone:
1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?
2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be embedded into the main distribution?
3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?
Ryan | Charles <[hidden email]>
Software Developer / System Administrator

Re: LuaRocks GUI

Kim Alvefur

I’m a hardcore CLI all the things kinda person, 90% of my open windows
are terminal emulators. So, take what I and others say with a bucket of
salt or two.

On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 09:46:29PM +0530, jitesh pabla wrote:
> Hello everyone I'm going to build a GUI for LuaRocks this summer as a GSoC
> project, so there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone:

> 1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?

Other than the obvious, installing and uninstalling, I think search and
exploration are things that are easier and nicer to do with a GUI.

By exploration I mean things like showing dependencies and similar
modules.

> 2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be
> embedded into the main distribution?

Separate.

> 3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?

Probably not.

Re: LuaRocks GUI

dyngeccetor8
On 05/01/2018 07:16 PM, jitesh pabla wrote:
> Hello everyone I'm going to build a GUI for LuaRocks this summer as a GSoC
> project, so there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone:
> 1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?
install, remove, show, search

> 2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be
> embedded into the main distribution?
Standalone.

> 3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?
It depends on my aesthetic feeling. If I'd would create GUI myself
(to match mentioned feelings: cross-platform open-source widgets engine,
good behavior - no donates begging and stealth updates), I'd use it for
exploring and installation of new rocks.

--

Also it would be nice to have ability to save versions of all installed
rocks in separate file. In case you need to rollback after update.

-- Martin

Re: LuaRocks GUI

Russell Haley

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 9:16 AM, jitesh pabla <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone I'm going to build a GUI for LuaRocks this summer as a GSoC project, so there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone:
1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?
2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be embedded into the main distribution?
3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?

Hurray! I've started a project using Qt here: https://github.com/WinLua/BrokenGlass-PM. It uses the most excellent sol2 C++ wrapper and relies on my WinLua which has luafilesystem included with the installation (that could be easily changed).

I was able to hook into LuaRocks and do some primitive searching, but everything committed right now is just prototyping. Recently the internals of LuaRocks were simplified and I haven't upgraded it yet. In order to achieve integration between an application and LuaRocks, I believe one or more functions need to be added (to LuaRocks) because all output is currently formatted and sent straight to command line output (stdout?).

The secret receipe in my opinion would be:
- Automated checking for updates
- Management of LUA_PATH and PATH variables.
- The ability to manage multiple rocktrees and multiple lua versions in one UI. Milind Gupta is working on (investigating?) a method to manage per-project rock trees that may also be an excellent tool for  a GUI.
- The ability to create a (Rock Soup!) recipe that would pull down groups of projects
- A browser/linking to local help docs that are part of the rocks. (especially if it supports Markdown)

The truth is though, a GUI is almost an anti-pattern in Lua because there is so much flexibility in the language/ecosystem, it's impossible to support all the possibilities. However, the beauty of Qt is the massive amounts of example code available to do almost anything you could think of. Some nice superflous graphs and things would sure be neat. Hope that helps and good luck. Feel free to pilfer my project (but contributing would be better)!

Cheers,

Russ

Re: LuaRocks GUI

Russell Haley

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 11:10 AM, dyngeccetor8 <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/01/2018 07:16 PM, jitesh pabla wrote:
> Hello everyone I'm going to build a GUI for LuaRocks this summer as a GSoC
> project, so there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone:
> 1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?
install, remove, show, search

> 2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be
> embedded into the main distribution?
Standalone.

> 3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?
It depends on my aesthetic feeling. If I'd would create GUI myself
(to match mentioned feelings: cross-platform open-source widgets engine,
good behavior - no donates begging and stealth updates), I'd use it for
exploring and installation of new rocks.

--

Also it would be nice to have ability to save versions of all installed
rocks in separate file. In case you need to rollback after update.
Yes, the rollback, update, restore is what I mentioned in my email about rock 'receipes'. Thanks for being more concise then I was.

-- Martin

Re: LuaRocks GUI

It was thus said that the Great jitesh pabla once stated:
> Hello everyone I'm going to build a GUI for LuaRocks this summer as a GSoC
> project, so there are a few questions I'd like to ask everyone:
> 1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?

  All of them?  I don't know (see answer #3)

> 2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be
> embedded into the main distribution?

  As a separate rock.

> 3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?

  No.  I use the command line for most everything

  -spc

Re: LuaRocks GUI

Tomás Guisasola-2
Hi Jitesh

  1. `luarocks install`, and probably some way to upgrade all packages (or to be able to select ones)
  2. separate rock - luarocks internal should avoid as many dependencies as possible (and can then be used to install your rock)
  3. no, but I also don't use a GUI for most things if I can avoid it
+1

I think you should explore the potentiality of visual interfaces.  In other words, what visual benefit could be added to LuaRocks?  Maybe a visual diagram relating the packages, instead of just a alphabetic ordered list...

Regards,
Tomás

Re: LuaRocks GUI

Pierre Chapuis
On Tue, May 1, 2018, at 18:16, jitesh pabla wrote:
1-Which CLI commands do you want to see implemented into the GUI first?

list, show

2-Would you rather have the GUI as a separate rock or do you want it to be embedded into the main distribution?

separate

3-Will you actually use a GUI as your primary way to interact with luarocks?

no