LuaInterface, C# and EyeonScript

Patrick Wolf-2

Hi,

my question is regarding C# and LuaInterface.

The program I work with Digital Fusion 5 has Lua as an embedded scripting language called EyeonScript. This language extends Lua.
For example it is possible to use the statement
fusion = Fusion("localhost")
to connect to an instance of Digital Fusion from EyeonScript.

Now I would like to use LuaInterface to access this version of Lua (EyeonScript) from C#.
But as a result I get:

> fusion = Fusion("localhost")
> stdin:1: attempt to call global `Fusion' (a nil value) stack
> traceback:
> stdin:1: in main chunk
> [C]: ?
> dump(fusion)
> stdin:1: attempt to call global `dump' (a nil value) stack traceback:
> stdin:1: in main chunk
> [C]: ?

It seems like the additional functions from the EyeonScript version of Lua would need to be registered somewhere to be accessible?

I would also think that this might be a common problem as other companies would also include extended versions of Lua with their programs? How has anybody else solved this challenge?

Thanks very much for your help
Patrick

RE: LuaInterface, C# and EyeonScript

jdarling
If this is the same thing as Eyeon Script that ships with Fusion 5
(http://www.eyeonline.com/Web/EyeonWeb/Products/fusion5/fusion5.aspx)
then here is what I would say:

1) Make sure that your loading the proper lua environment.
2) Make sure that your either requiring the Eyeon Script environment, or
3) In the case of 2 make sure that you have linked the Eyeon Script
environment with your script instances.
4) Since you paid for the product, contact their customer support and
ask them whats wrong :)

 - Jeremy

"Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your answer. Yes that is exactly the product.
I already contacted their customer support and they helped me to connect to
C#.NET from EyeonScript via LuaInterface.

But I would like to connect to EyeonScript from C#.NET.
This is basically what I did:
- I made a sample project for LuaInterface in Visual Studio (see attachment)
- I renamed eyeonscript.dll to lua50.dll (so that LuaInterface would load
the renamed eyeonscript.dll which seemed to work).
- I tried to type some EyeonScript specific commands and got the error
messages attempt to call global `Fusion' (a nil value) (see below).
- When it didn't work I tried to find answers in many forums etc. which
didn't work either. You are the first one to answer :).

Could you maybe explain your steps below in more detail? Or even point out
what I would need to change in the attached program?
It makes sense to try to load the Eyeon Script enviroment (which is what I
tried by renaming the files) but I don't know how to do it :).

Thank you very much for your help
Patrick

Program.cs (1K) Download Attachment

RE: LuaInterface, C# and EyeonScript

jdarling
Patrick,
  I've never actually used Eyeon Script at all, so this is going to be a
complete guess on my behalf.  Put the DLL Name back to eyeonscript.dll
and then try using require "eyeonscript".  Making sure that eyeonscript
is in whatever folder Lua thinks is the default scripts folder.  Since
lua can (and should) scan in the order of lua, lib, and dll (or
something like that) so it should load the module.  This should
probiably be the first line in your script.  Another way of doing this
in code would be to have lua load the library by name, I believe this
can be done with lua_dofile(luaVM, "./eyeonscript.dll") but you may
have to use the lua_loadlib function instead.

 - Jeremy

"Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."

Peter Loveday-2
That probably won't work, eyeonscript (unfortunately)  requires some
modifications to the lua core to allow for a couple of things.

However, having renamed it, you _may_ be able to load the built in library
functions with something like:

  loadlib("lua50", "luaopen_dfscript")()

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday

>  I've never actually used Eyeon Script at all, so this is going to be a
> complete guess on my behalf.  Put the DLL Name back to eyeonscript.dll
> and then try using require "eyeonscript".  Making sure that eyeonscript
> is in whatever folder Lua thinks is the default scripts folder.  Since
> lua can (and should) scan in the order of lua, lib, and dll (or
> something like that) so it should load the module.  This should
> probiably be the first line in your script.  Another way of doing this
> in code would be to have lua load the library by name, I believe this
> can be done with lua_dofile(luaVM, "./eyeonscript.dll") but you may
> have to use the lua_loadlib function instead.
>
> - Jeremy
>
> "Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your answer. It does partly work even when I just open the
standart lua50.exe after renaming eyeonscript.dll to lua50.dll.
If eyeonscript is in the same folder it goes like this:

Lua 5.0.2  Copyright (C) 1994-2004 Tecgraf, PUC-Rio
5
> fusion=Fusion("localhost")
But as soon as I call fusion=Fusion("localhost") Lua/EyeonScript hangs and
the command promt never comes back (fusion=Fusion("localhost",4) does the
same thing by the way).

It is the same when doing it from C# via LuaInterface.

Do you have any more ideas on how to solve it or what could be the problem?

Thanks a lot
Patrick

>  I've never actually used Eyeon Script at all, so this is going to be a
> complete guess on my behalf.  Put the DLL Name back to eyeonscript.dll
> and then try using require "eyeonscript".  Making sure that eyeonscript
> is in whatever folder Lua thinks is the default scripts folder.  Since
> lua can (and should) scan in the order of lua, lib, and dll (or
> something like that) so it should load the module.  This should
> probiably be the first line in your script.  Another way of doing this
> in code would be to have lua load the library by name, I believe this
> can be done with lua_dofile(luaVM, "./eyeonscript.dll") but you may
> have to use the lua_loadlib function instead.
>
> - Jeremy
>
> "Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."

Hmm, okay, it seems that isn't enough.  The basic eyeonscript fiunctions
have been initalised, but startup needed to access other apps via tcp/ip is
not being done.  Hmm.   I'll email you a loadable binary off-list that might
work better.

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday