Lua workshop

Roberto Ierusalimschy
It is a pity that, after two years out of Europe, this Lua workshop
has so few "old-time lunatics" from Europe in its participants list.
We will all miss a great opportunity to meet face to face :-(

Re: Lua workshop

Pierre Chapuis
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, at 17:59, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> It is a pity that, after two years out of Europe, this Lua workshop
> has so few "old-time lunatics" from Europe in its participants list.
> We will all miss a great opportunity to meet face to face :-(

It is hard for me to attend when the Workshop is not in Europe,
because I tend to work at small companies who cannot sponsor
such trips. So when it is in Europe, I jump on the occasion.

Maybe this time it has been announced a bit too late for some
people? For instance the Stockholm workshop was announced
(on lua.org) over 6 months before the date, whereas this one
was only announced two months before.

Pierre Chapuis

Re: Lua workshop

Rob Kendrick-2
On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 06:09:12PM +0200, Pierre Chapuis wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018, at 17:59, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> > It is a pity that, after two years out of Europe, this Lua workshop
> > has so few "old-time lunatics" from Europe in its participants list.
> > We will all miss a great opportunity to meet face to face :-(

<snip>

> Maybe this time it has been announced a bit too late for some
> people? For instance the Stockholm workshop was announced
> (on lua.org) over 6 months before the date, whereas this one
> was only announced two months before.

This is very much the reason I can't attend.  I had already planned on
taking two weeks off from work, which turns out to be right up next to
the dates, and I couldn't justify taking three weeks off contiguously :/

Perhaps next time!

B.

Re: Lua workshop

Gavin Wraith
In message <[hidden email]>
          Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is a pity that, after two years out of Europe, this Lua workshop
> has so few "old-time lunatics" from Europe in its participants list.
> We will all miss a great opportunity to meet face to face :-(

As a paid up old-time lunatic from Europe I second these remarks.
Pay no heed to the chorus of "brekekekexit koax koax" from the frogs
that you may hear in the press. I attended the Venlo meeting -
very agreeable. But age, alas, makes travel harder. Also, the dark
cloud of stupidity, that the solar system is presently travelling
through, has brought about failure of Vodafone's information systems
at Gatwick airport. Check-in queues now require hours of waiting,
as the border officials are under-manned, and the heavens are
expected by most people in these Isles to fall to earth.

On a brighter note, it looks as if Kaunas will escape the cataclysm.
In any case, may you have an enjoyable and fruitful workshop.

--
Gavin Wraith ([hidden email])
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/