Lua with Javascript like sintax LJS

Domingo Alvarez Duarte
Hello !

I'm trying to create an alternative lua/luajit with javascript like syntax:

https://github.com/mingodad/ljs

https://github.com/mingodad/ljsjit

Right now it is lua compatible with a javascript like syntax with
compound/pre/pos increment opertors and "exp ? exp_true : exp_false".

It got code and inspiration from:

https://github.com/ex/Killa

https://github.com/sajonoso/jual

and others.

It has a transpiler lua2ljs that can convert most lua to working ljs.

I'm now trying to add a "switch" statement and after that a "class"
object/constructor.

I would welcome any contribution/critic/review/idea to improve it.

Cheers !

Re: Lua with Javascript like sintax LJS

Sam Pagenkopf
A little confused about these syntax choices, especially with :: ->

What separates ljs from killa? Why didn't you fork killa rather than copy-pasting its code?

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 6:09 AM Domingo Alvarez Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello !

I'm trying to create an alternative lua/luajit with javascript like syntax:

https://github.com/mingodad/ljs

https://github.com/mingodad/ljsjit

Right now it is lua compatible with a javascript like syntax with
compound/pre/pos increment opertors and "exp ? exp_true : exp_false".

It got code and inspiration from:

https://github.com/ex/Killa

https://github.com/sajonoso/jual

and others.

It has a transpiler lua2ljs that can convert most lua to working ljs.

I'm now trying to add a "switch" statement and after that a "class"
object/constructor.

I would welcome any contribution/critic/review/idea to improve it.

Cheers !

Re: Lua with Javascript like sintax LJS

Daurnimator

Note that a "ljs" project already exists: http://code.matthewwild.co.uk/ljs/

Re: Lua with Javascript like sintax LJS

Domingo Alvarez Duarte

Hello Sam !

Thanks for reply !

I've contacted the author of Killa and he replied that he is now busy working with C++ and has no time to or incentives to work on Killa.

In my point of view the Killa's author did a great job analyzing the Lua vm and made it zero index based.

Even as I used some of his code in LJS/LJSJIT I did several bug fixes because that code do not work in several cases, I adapted the test from Lua to help detect regressions, I have decided to mantain Lua vm compatibility and one based index to allow me try port several well coded projects and check that my changes behave as expected, like https://github.com/mingodad/ZeroBraneStudioLJS , I also added a compiler warning/error for duplicated variables declaration shadowing/scope dup.

Also I'm applying the syntax over Luajit-2.1/Luajit-2.0.5/lua-5.1/lua-5.2/lua-5.3/lua-5.4 with varying degree of success so far.

Converting luajit lua files I found some bugs that I'm reporting to luajit (thanks for compiler warnings about shadowing variables).

Again I hope I couldĀ  explain my reasons to go forward with my own project LJS/LJSJIT instead of join abandoned projects.

Thanks again for your time and attention !

On 10/12/2018 23:00, Sam Pagenkopf wrote:
[...]

Hello Daurnimator !

Thank you for reporting it, today is hard to find a not used name for a
project.

I'll try to solve this problem soon.

Cheers !

On 10/12/2018 23:09, Daurnimator wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 at 04:09, Domingo Alvarez Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm trying to create an alternative lua/luajit with javascript like syntax:
>>
>> https://github.com/mingodad/ljs
> Note that a "ljs" project already exists: http://code.matthewwild.co.uk/ljs/

Re: Lua with Javascript like sintax LJS

Domingo Alvarez Duarte

Hello Sam !

I forgot to mention your question about the syntax choice with ":: ->", it's due to not clash with "." and ":" for label, switch, table/json style, ...

I'm open to suggestions about a better choice !

Cheers !

Jim

On 12/11/18, Domingo Alvarez Duarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you for reporting it, today is hard to find a not used name for a project.

maybe you could rename it to just "ls": LuvaScript
:P