Lua used as an extension language in TerraME

Lua used as an extension language in TerraME

Roland
Hi list,

I was making some research today on some possible GIS frameworks
that would use Lua as an extension language, and I randomly came across
this project: TerraME [1]

I will just quote the wiki page:

"TerraME is a programming environment for spatial dynamical modelling. It supports cellular automata, agent-based models, and network models running in 2D cell spaces. TerraME provides an interface to TerraLib geographical database, allowing models direct access to geospatial data. Its modelling language has in-built functions that makes it easier to develop multi-scale and multi-paradigm models for environmental applications."

I believe it uses Lua 5.1.4. Yay.

Just wanted to share this information. Hopefully, it might be relevant to someone. Also, maybe Sir Marbux can update the page "Where is Lua Used ?" [2] with that ?

Re: Lua used as an extension language in TerraME

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Ousmane Roland Yonaba
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wanted to share this information. Hopefully, it might be relevant to
> someone. Also, maybe Sir Marbux can update the page "Where is Lua Used ?"
> [2] with that ?

> [1] : http://www.terrame.org/doku.php
> [2] : https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used

Will do. Thanks.

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: Lua used as an extension language in TerraME

Paul E. Merrell, J.D.
Page is updated. <https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used>.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: Lua used as an extension language in TerraME

Lars Ruoff
Hi Paul,
i don't know if this would qualify in terms of popularity, but my Podball project [https://sourceforge.net/projects/podball/] uses Lua as well. Any chance it could make it into the list too? (probably best classified as game engine or game)
The text could be as follows:
Game Engines - Podball
Podball [https://sourceforge.net/projects/podball/] is a simple 2D ball game simulation and programming contest. The playing agents ("pods") are fully scriptable with Lua 5.2. (MIT license)

thanks,
regards,
Lars R.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:42 AM, Lars Ruoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i don't know if this would qualify in terms of popularity,

Popularity isn't among the criteria.

> project [https://sourceforge.net/projects/podball/] uses Lua as well. Any
> chance it could make it into the list too?

Done and the page is updated. Thanks for bringing Podball to my attention.

Best regards,

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Podball is such a nice project! Thanks mentionning it. I enjoyed watching the YouTube video.

Re: Lua used as an extension language in TerraME

Roland
Hi Paul,

If I may, I have another addition to that list as well :

Agen[1] is a nice frameworks for games, using Lua as a programming language. It can be used to make commercial games for iOS, Android, Windows and Linux.

[1] : http://www.2dengine.com/page.php?p=features

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If I may, I have another addition to that list as well :
>
> Agen[1] is a nice frameworks for games, using Lua as a programming language.
> It can be used to make commercial games for iOS, Android, Windows and Linux.
>
> [1] : http://www.2dengine.com/page.php?p=features

Thanks. Page is now updated.

Paul

--
[Notice not included in the above original message:  The U.S. National
message.]

Re: Lua used as an extension language in TerraME

Paul Cuthbertson-2

On 29 Jul 2014, at 16:23, Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I may, I have another addition to that list as well :

While we're adding to the list, I have a few more submissions:

  • Not sure if VMs count, but if they do you could add Moonshine, a Lua VM for the browser.
  • We're using Lua extensively in our games here at Gamesys, for brands such as Jackpotjoy, Sun Bingo, Virgin Poker.
  • The "JavaScript on the board" Tessel microcontroller actually translates JS to Lua and runs that on the board instead. You can access the Lua layer directly using my lua-tessel project.

Regards,
Paul.