Lua opening new horizons :~}

Roberto Ierusalimschy
http://www.osnews.com/thread?345058

    New Mac OS X Trojan Found in Pirated iWork '09
    [...] This Trojan comes along with a build in Lua interpreter, [...]
    AFAIK it is relativly new that trojans bring their own scripting
    interpreters with them...

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

Peter Cawley
All publicity is good publicity, right?

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://www.osnews.com/thread?345058
>
>    New Mac OS X Trojan Found in Pirated iWork '09
>    [...] This Trojan comes along with a build in Lua interpreter, [...]
>    AFAIK it is relativly new that trojans bring their own scripting
>    interpreters with them...
>
> -- Roberto

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> All publicity is good publicity, right?

Is it?

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

Ralph Hempel
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
All publicity is good publicity, right?

Is it?

Ummm, probably not if the first time anybody has heard about
Lua is that it was in some Trojan Horse.

In some respects, I feel tha anyone using pirated software
gets what they deserve. But having Lua associated with it
is not good.

Ralph

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

Tim Channon
Ralph Hempel wrote:

> gets what they deserve. But having Lua associated with it
> is not good.

Totally agree, is only a short step to bans on Lua by the paranoid.

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

KHMan
Ralph Hempel wrote:
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
All publicity is good publicity, right?

Is it?

Ummm, probably not if the first time anybody has heard about
Lua is that it was in some Trojan Horse.

In some respects, I feel tha anyone using pirated software
gets what they deserve. But having Lua associated with it
is not good.

Nothing much the Lua community can do... at least those Trojan writers have good taste, heh. The one piece of FLOSS that gets mentioned very often in these circles would be UPX, I think. I don't think they suffer much from the association... it's not their fault (or our fault) after all.

Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

Philippe Lhoste
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo a écrit :
All publicity is good publicity, right?

Is it?

Well, you are not responsible for the tools a criminal uses: if a gangster uses a brand of car, it should not impact the image of the car maker, no?

And actually, beyond the "good taste", it is an ode to Lua efficiency and small size, which are probably two important traits Trojan/virus writers seek...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

Asko Kauppi

Maybe people misunderstand it, and think Apple uses Lua in iWork itself.. :)

It certainly is good publicity to favor legal copies.

(off list, quite a bit?)

Philippe Lhoste kirjoitti 24.1.2009 kello 19:05:

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo a écrit :
All publicity is good publicity, right?
Is it?

Well, you are not responsible for the tools a criminal uses: if a gangster uses a brand of car, it should not impact the image of the car maker, no?

And actually, beyond the "good taste", it is an ode to Lua efficiency and small size, which are probably two important traits Trojan/virus writers seek...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France
--  http://Phi.Lho.free.fr

Re: Lua opening new horizons :~}

Tony Finch
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> http://www.osnews.com/thread?345058
>
>     New Mac OS X Trojan Found in Pirated iWork '09
>     [...] This Trojan comes along with a build in Lua interpreter, [...]
>     AFAIK it is relativly new that trojans bring their own scripting
>     interpreters with them...

Scheme's had some similar publicity recently...
http://philosecurity.org/2009/01/12/interview-with-an-adware-author

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <[hidden email]>  http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.