Lua on Android in 2017

Vadi
Hi all

What's the current state of affairs of using Lua to code an app Android? I've previously used Steve Donovans fork of AndroLua and I'm wondering if that's still the latest and greatest thing.

V.

Re: Lua on Android in 2017

steve donovan
On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Vadim Peretokin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the current state of affairs of using Lua to code an app Android?
> I've previously used Steve Donovans fork of AndroLua and I'm wondering if
> that's still the latest and greatest thing.

I must say that I'd like to spend more time on AndroLua, since it
worked well on pretty low-end devices, and writing activities in Lua
is so much easier than using Java.  What I enjoyed was the ability to
hot-load code.

Re: Lua on Android in 2017

Vadi
Definitely agree! It's pretty good in that manner.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:13 AM steve donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 8:31 PM, Vadim Peretokin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the current state of affairs of using Lua to code an app Android?
> I've previously used Steve Donovans fork of AndroLua and I'm wondering if
> that's still the latest and greatest thing.

I must say that I'd like to spend more time on AndroLua, since it
worked well on pretty low-end devices, and writing activities in Lua
is so much easier than using Java.  What I enjoyed was the ability to
hot-load code.

Re: Lua on Android in 2017

steve donovan
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Vadim Peretokin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Definitely agree! It's pretty good in that manner.

So the question would be: what do we need?  Apart from general
maintainance of course, people do think something's dead if it hasn't
been touched for a few months ;)

Re: Lua on Android in 2017

Vadi
Just off the top of my head - I think it needs to be migrated to an Android Studio project. Android has stopped using Eclipse a while ago.

The reason I'm peeking up now is because an application I've deployed some years ago has started erroing out for a lot of people with an opaque problem deep inside LuaJava - will need to get setup with an development environment for it again...

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM steve donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Vadim Peretokin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Definitely agree! It's pretty good in that manner.

So the question would be: what do we need?  Apart from general
maintainance of course, people do think something's dead if it hasn't
been touched for a few months ;)

Re: Lua on Android in 2017

Daurnimator
On 18 July 2017 at 20:09, steve donovan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 11:45 AM, Vadim Peretokin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Definitely agree! It's pretty good in that manner.
>
> So the question would be: what do we need?  Apart from general
> maintainance of course, people do think something's dead if it hasn't
> been touched for a few months ;)

There are quite a few forks on https://github.com/mkottman/AndroLua/network
It's not totally obvious which one to use: and it's almost certain
that some forks have fixed bugs not present in others.

There is no mention of what lua version it is compatible with. (the
age of the commits would suggest not 5.3?)

Re: Lua on Android in 2017

> What's the current state of affairs of using Lua to code an app Android?

I have used the Love2D port in the past, developing the app
in Lua on my big machine and just packaging the app when
I have got somewhere. Not recently, though.