Lua mailing list mirrored on nabble.com?

Lua mailing list mirrored on nabble.com?

David Given
I've just noticed that a website called nabble.com appears to be mirroring the
Lua mailing list (and a couple of others I'm on).

http://www.nabble.com/Lua---General-f14111.html

Do the list admins here know about this? It all seems rather dubious to me ---
they've even gone as far as creating a publicly accessable profile for all
users. I know that my messages are all public, and I have no objections to
them being redistributed as people see fit, but mirroring an entire mailing
list without asking seems extremely impolite. Not only that, but they may be
trying to retcon us into complying with their T&Cs.

http://www.nabble.com/user/Terms.jtp

Have we, in fact, been asked?

(They will also claim to post *to* the list if you register there. I'm not
entirely sure how that works,

--
âââDavid GivenâââMcQââ "...electrons, nuclei and other particles are good
ââ [hidden email]âââââ approximations to perfectly elastic spherical

Re: Lua mailing list mirrored on nabble.com?

Martin Schröder-2
2006/11/27, David Given <[hidden email]>:
I've just noticed that a website called nabble.com appears to be mirroring the
Lua mailing list (and a couple of others I'm on).

http://www.nabble.com/Lua---General-f14111.html

Interesting. Their Terms of use are bogus: "You grant Nabble a license
to republish and sublicense the publication of your content in whole
or in part and in any form. ... Except for your own content, you may
not copy or republish Nabble's collection of posts or any portion of
the collection. ... You may not republish a forum or any significant
portion thereof. You may not use software programs to extract data
from Nabble or use any automated means of using Nabble or extracting
information from Nabble. You may not collect names, user names, email
addresses or other data related to individual Nabble users, and you
may not collect demographic information on Nabble users as a group or
subgroups."

And they can only be reached through their support forum. :-(

Best
  Martin

Re: Lua mailing list mirrored on nabble.com?

David Given
Martin SchrÃder wrote:
[...]
> Interesting. Their Terms of use are bogus:

I was particularly interested in their attempt to impose California, USA law
on me...

[...]
> And they can only be reached through their support forum. :-(

Also their DMCA address.

Their Lua-list coverage seems to be spotty; up to 31 May, and then one post on
14 June. I wonder if they've subscribed, or if they're pulling the data from
one of the *authorised* archives? I can't find any way of getting the header
information.

--
âââDavid GivenâââMcQââ "...electrons, nuclei and other particles are good
ââ [hidden email]âââââ approximations to perfectly elastic spherical
ââ([hidden email])ââ cows." --- David M. Palmer on r.a.sf.c
âââwww.cowlark.comââââ

Re: Lua mailing list mirrored on nabble.com?

> Do the list admins here know about this?

No.

> but mirroring an entire mailing list without asking seems extremely impolite.

We have other mirrors and no one ever asked us permission. I guess we
cannot force people to ask. Lua-l membership is open to anyone and is
controlled by mailman, without our intervention, really.

I'm sorry that nabble.com seems not to be providing a good service. All
we can do is not to list it in lua.org.

Re: Lua mailing list mirrored on nabble.com?

David Given
Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
[...]
> We have other mirrors and no one ever asked us permission. I guess we
> cannot force people to ask. Lua-l membership is open to anyone and is
> controlled by mailman, without our intervention, really.

Fair enough; I just thought I'd point it out. The people on SPAM-L (who,
admittedly, are only marginly stable at the best of times) seem to be raising
quite a fuss.

--
âââDavid GivenâââMcQââ "...electrons, nuclei and other particles are good
ââ [hidden email]âââââ approximations to perfectly elastic spherical
ââ([hidden email])ââ cows." --- David M. Palmer on r.a.sf.c
âââwww.cowlark.comââââ

Re: Lua mailing list mirrored on nabble.com?

Danilo Tuler-2
I'm sorry that nabble.com seems not to be providing a good service. All
we can do is not to list it in lua.org.

They do provide a very good service, at least for me.
I use nabble regularly with a couple of other mailing lists.
The web interface works very nicely, the search is good, and I can
post like I'm a regular list subscriber.

If the copyright holders feel offended they can ask nabble to remove the mirror.
http://www.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=7

-- Danilo