Lua language tools

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lua language tools

Martin
Hello all!

On this weekends I'm thinking about Lua ecosystem. More specifically,
about tools for Lua language, not general libraries/frameworks.

I've created sample sketch with categories, partly filled. And be
grateful to anyone who can augment it.

[implementations/dialects]
  PuC Lua
  LuaJIT
  Ravi
  MoonScript

[code management]
  [documentation]
    ldoc

  [static analysis]
    luacheck

  [pretty-printers]

  [p-code assemblers]

[execution analytics]
  [profilers]

  [debuggers]


-- Martin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
There are some Lua language tools at
        http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/

In particular

ctrace: A tool for tracing Lua API calls
http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/index.html#ctrace

lbci: A bytecode inspector library
http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/index.html#lbci

lstrip: A tool for compressing Lua programs
http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/index.html#lstrip

ltokenp: A token processor for Lua
http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/index.html#ltokenp

All feedback is welcome.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Luke Gorrie-2
In reply to this post by Martin
Hi Martin,

There is also a brand new fork of LuaJIT called RaptorJIT:

and an even branderer newerer graphical profiler/debugger framework called Studio:

Cheers,
-Luke

On 26 August 2017 at 18:26, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all!

On this weekends I'm thinking about Lua ecosystem. More specifically,
about tools for Lua language, not general libraries/frameworks.

I've created sample sketch with categories, partly filled. And be
grateful to anyone who can augment it.

[implementations/dialects]
  PuC Lua
  LuaJIT
  Ravi
  MoonScript

[code management]
  [documentation]
    ldoc

  [static analysis]
    luacheck

  [pretty-printers]

  [p-code assemblers]

[execution analytics]
  [profilers]

  [debuggers]


-- Martin


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

KHMan
In reply to this post by Martin
On 8/27/2017 12:26 AM, Martin wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> On this weekends I'm thinking about Lua ecosystem. More specifically,
> about tools for Lua language, not general libraries/frameworks.
>
> I've created sample sketch with categories, partly filled. And be
> grateful to anyone who can augment it.

Shouldn't we update the Lua wiki instead?

http://lua-users.org/wiki/

> [implementations/dialects]
>   PuC Lua
>   LuaJIT
>   Ravi
>   MoonScript
>
> [code management]
>   [documentation]
>     ldoc
>
>   [static analysis]
>     luacheck
>
>   [pretty-printers]
>
>   [p-code assemblers]
>
> [execution analytics]
>   [profilers]
>
>   [debuggers]


--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)
Selangor, Malaysia


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Martin
On 08/26/2017 06:17 PM, KHMan wrote:
> Shouldn't we update the Lua wiki instead?
>
> http://lua-users.org/wiki/

I think it's a bit different approach.

Lua wiki has many (too many!) great articles on many topics and links to
code (alive and undead). Here I'd wish to get just names/links to
language alive tools which people use. More narrow intention.

-- Martin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Dibyendu Majumdar
In reply to this post by KHMan
Hi,

On 26 August 2017 at 18:17, KHMan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/27/2017 12:26 AM, Martin wrote:
>>
>> On this weekends I'm thinking about Lua ecosystem. More specifically,
>> about tools for Lua language, not general libraries/frameworks.
>>
>> I've created sample sketch with categories, partly filled. And be
>> grateful to anyone who can augment it.
>
>
> Shouldn't we update the Lua wiki instead?
>
> http://lua-users.org/wiki/
>

I too think that it is better to update the Wiki. I don't know about
other but that is the resource I tend to go to when looking for stuff.

Regards
Dibyendu

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Russell Haley
In reply to this post by Martin
On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> On this weekends I'm thinking about Lua ecosystem. More specifically,
> about tools for Lua language, not general libraries/frameworks.
>
> I've created sample sketch with categories, partly filled. And be
> grateful to anyone who can augment it.
>
> [implementations/dialects]
>   PuC Lua
>   LuaJIT
>   Ravi
>   MoonScript
>
> [code management]
>   [documentation]
>     ldoc
>
>   [static analysis]
>     luacheck
>
>   [pretty-printers]
>
>   [p-code assemblers]
>
> [execution analytics]
>   [profilers]
>
>   [debuggers]
>
>
> -- Martin
>

Martin,

Not sure if this list is still a thing, but the debug.lua tool from
Gunnar could be added to your debuggers list.

Thanks,

Russ

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Eric Man-3
Here's a superset of Lisp/Lua language. http://github.com/meric/l2l
It's implemented in Lua.

It's used in a steam game: 


"40K lines of code have been rewritten (some manually, some with the help of a custom transpiler tool developed just for the task) from Scheme to l2l, a Lua-based language similar to Lisp. This allows the very sizable scripting side of Galactology to be based on LuaJIT, for the maximum possible performance for this kind of programming languages. sol2 provides the C++ binding layer for Lua.

The performance improvement is roughly 4x to 6x. In addition GC pauses are dramatically shorter thanks to Lua(JIT) incremental collector."

Disclaimer - I wrote the language.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Russell Haley <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 12:26 PM, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> On this weekends I'm thinking about Lua ecosystem. More specifically,
> about tools for Lua language, not general libraries/frameworks.
>
> I've created sample sketch with categories, partly filled. And be
> grateful to anyone who can augment it.
>
> [implementations/dialects]
>   PuC Lua
>   LuaJIT
>   Ravi
>   MoonScript
>
> [code management]
>   [documentation]
>     ldoc
>
>   [static analysis]
>     luacheck
>
>   [pretty-printers]
>
>   [p-code assemblers]
>
> [execution analytics]
>   [profilers]
>
>   [debuggers]
>
>
> -- Martin
>

Martin,

Not sure if this list is still a thing, but the debug.lua tool from
Gunnar could be added to your debuggers list.

Thanks,

Russ


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Martin
In reply to this post by Martin
Thank you guys for replies!

Below is a current version of list. For personal reasons I prefer one
relatively short somewhat-biased list than many pages in wiki.

[language implementations]
  PUC Lua (https://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-5.3.4.tar.gz)
  LuaJIT (http://luajit.org/download/LuaJIT-2.0.5.tar.gz)
    RaptorJIT (https://github.com/raptorjit/raptorjit)

[language extensions]
  Ravi (https://github.com/dibyendumajumdar/ravi)
  MoonScript (https://github.com/leafo/moonscript)
  l2l (https://github.com/meric/l2l)

[code management]
  [documentation]
    ldoc (https://github.com/stevedonovan/LDoc)

  [static analysis]
    luacheck (https://github.com/mpeterv/luacheck)

  [code formatters]

  [p-code assemblers]

  [more]
    [wrap to executable]
      srlua
(http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/5.3/srlua.tar.gz)
    [minifiers]
      lstrip
(http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/5.3/lstrip.tar.gz)
    [lexers]
      ltokenp
(http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/5.3/ltokenp.tar.gz)
    [inspect p-code]
      lbci
(http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/5.3/lbci.tar.gz)
    [api calls tracer]
      ctrace
(http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/5.2/ctrace.tar.gz)

[execution analytics]
  [profilers]

  [debuggers]
    debug.lua (http://tset.de/downloads/debug.lua-0.11-1.tar.gz)

-- Martin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> Below is a current version of list. For personal reasons I prefer one
> relatively short somewhat-biased list than many pages in wiki.

The list would be much more useful if hosted in the web and if it
contained comments on the tools listed, that is, a curated list.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Miha Cooper
I had wrote here about a tool to combine Lua sources together to single file. I think it fits to [more][minifiers] category or something similar.

Take the link:
https://github.com/mihacooper/luacc


On 1 September 2017 at 16:26, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Below is a current version of list. For personal reasons I prefer one
> relatively short somewhat-biased list than many pages in wiki.

The list would be much more useful if hosted in the web and if it
contained comments on the tools listed, that is, a curated list.




--
With best regards,
Kupriyanov Mikhail.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Martin
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo


On 09/01/2017 02:26 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>> Below is a current version of list. For personal reasons I prefer one
>> relatively short somewhat-biased list than many pages in wiki.
>
> The list would be much more useful if hosted in the web and if it
> contained comments on the tools listed, that is, a curated list.

I feel here a hard to formulate problem:

One marginal approach is to have commonplace where anyone may announce
their tool. Past some time site looks like advertisement catalog but
most goods are outdated or immature. This encourages development but
hardens practical usage.

Another approach is to have curated list. It discourages immature/
outdated/untypical/new projects but good reference for common tools.

But who will curate such list? Where it should be published?
What if someone create alternative list?

I do not wish to deal with this problems.

So this list is just sharing personal notes. I'll be glad if it will
ever help someone. I'll be glad for further additions to it. In case
someone wish to host it - no problems. But I don't want to take
obligation to keep it up-date till end of times. "Here and now boys.
Here and now."

-- Martin

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Benoit Giannangeli
In reply to this post by Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
I believe contributing to the already well constructed https://github.com/LewisJEllis/awesome-lua would be helpful too.

On Fri 1 Sep 2017 at 15:26, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Below is a current version of list. For personal reasons I prefer one
> relatively short somewhat-biased list than many pages in wiki.

The list would be much more useful if hosted in the web and if it
contained comments on the tools listed, that is, a curated list.

--
Benoit Giannangeli
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua language tools

Miha Cooper
In reply to this post by Martin
Sorry if I repeat someone but here is a list you are looking for:



On 1 September 2017 at 16:52, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:


On 09/01/2017 02:26 PM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
>> Below is a current version of list. For personal reasons I prefer one
>> relatively short somewhat-biased list than many pages in wiki.
>
> The list would be much more useful if hosted in the web and if it
> contained comments on the tools listed, that is, a curated list.

I feel here a hard to formulate problem:

One marginal approach is to have commonplace where anyone may announce
their tool. Past some time site looks like advertisement catalog but
most goods are outdated or immature. This encourages development but
hardens practical usage.

Another approach is to have curated list. It discourages immature/
outdated/untypical/new projects but good reference for common tools.

But who will curate such list? Where it should be published?
What if someone create alternative list?

I do not wish to deal with this problems.

So this list is just sharing personal notes. I'll be glad if it will
ever help someone. I'll be glad for further additions to it. In case
someone wish to host it - no problems. But I don't want to take
obligation to keep it up-date till end of times. "Here and now boys.
Here and now."

-- Martin




--
With best regards,
Kupriyanov Mikhail.