Lua in itself?

Jean-Claude Wippler
I have a few questions, related to the direction of Lua:

1) Has anyone considered writing more parts of Lua in itself, or is
anyone even doing it (as open source)?  Things like the lexer/parser/
code-generator come to mind.

2) Has anyone considered making the "luac" compiler a Lua library?  And
somewhat related: made mods to have it generate output as string instead
of to file?

3) Has anyone considered making tolua a pure-Lua application, i.e.
recoding the tolua main in Lua?

-jcw

Re: Lua in itself?

Terence Martin-2
I'm not sure if this means "a lua compiler written in lua" or "expose the
lua compiler TO lua". I'm working on the latter, where in lua code you could
pass in a [[string]] containing code or a filename and get back a string
that is a compiled bunch of code, which could be stored to a file or
executed with dobuffer. I think others are doing this as well. There has
been some discussion about it in recent days, I think.

> 2) Has anyone considered making the "luac" compiler a Lua library?  And
> somewhat related: made mods to have it generate output as string instead
> of to file?

Re: Lua in itself?

Erik Hougaard
> 2) Has anyone considered making the "luac" compiler a Lua library?  And
> somewhat related: made mods to have it generate output as string instead
> of to file?

In uCore we have made the compiler a library but we are outputting to our
repository.

/Erik