Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Rob Hoelz-2
Hey Lua folk,

I remember talk from a while back about moving the Lua user wiki from a
Perl-based wiki to a Lua-based one.  Whatever happened to that?  The
current wiki works nicely and all, but it'd be nice to have a wiki
written in the language we all admire. =)

If the community agrees that this is a good idea, I volunteer to help
out.

-Rob

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Petite Abeille

On Sep 22, 2011, at 9:56 PM, Rob Hoelz wrote:

> I remember talk from a while back about moving the Lua user wiki from a
> Perl-based wiki to a Lua-based one.  Whatever happened to that?

Nothing.

>  The
> current wiki works nicely and all, but it'd be nice to have a wiki
> written in the language we all admire. =)

This is debatable. If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

> If the community agrees that this is a good idea, I volunteer to help
> out.

Brave words :))

In any case, last time around, Sputnik and Nanoki where mentioned:

http://sputnik.freewisdom.org/
http://alt.textdrive.com/nanoki/

But then again, migrating away from the current setup fizzled out pretty quickly.

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Sebastien Lai
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Petite Abeille
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is debatable. If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

I'd support that statement. Although, if you feel like wasting some
precious time, you could probably reuse my old selfwritten wikiengine
(which I. initially, had written for LunarCGI):
https://github.com/beelzebub/LunarCGI/tree/master/etc/oldwiki

It's really hacky and all, but it basically does just about everything
the current lua-users wiki does...

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Axel Kittenberger
If someone got time to invest, I'd really like to see an event based
(web)server like node.js, ruby event machine, twisted or tornade done
in Lua. You could start by translating the node.js basic interface and
enhance with cooperative multitasking. Anything CGI just isn't the
state-of-the-art anymore..I'd do it myself, if I wouldn't have 3
FreeSoftware Projects already. Then make a wiki for that
lua-event-server-system.

With Lsyncd I basically did make an event based daemon, but pretty
tailored to its usecase, filesystem monitoring and multiple child
process/signal handling. But experimentally I added non-blocking TCP
so e.g. two nodes who otherwise cannot directly communicate with each
other can exchange events over an IRC channel.

- Axel

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Sebastien Lai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Petite Abeille
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is debatable. If it ain't broke don't fix it :)
>events
> I'd support that statement. Although, if you feel like wasting some
> precious time, you could probably reuse my old selfwritten wikiengine
> (which I. initially, had written for LunarCGI):
> https://github.com/beelzebub/LunarCGI/tree/master/etc/oldwiki
>
> It's really hacky and all, but it basically does just about everything
> the current lua-users wiki does...

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Tim Caswell
:) https://github.com/creationix/luanode

Not sure if I'll ever finish it, but I think it's along the same lines.

I understand busy.  I've got 75 projects on github and I've lost count how many are still active.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Axel Kittenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
If someone got time to invest, I'd really like to see an event based
(web)server like node.js, ruby event machine, twisted or tornade done
in Lua. You could start by translating the node.js basic interface and
enhance with cooperative multitasking. Anything CGI just isn't the
state-of-the-art anymore..I'd do it myself, if I wouldn't have 3
FreeSoftware Projects already. Then make a wiki for that
lua-event-server-system.

With Lsyncd I basically did make an event based daemon, but pretty
tailored to its usecase, filesystem monitoring and multiple child
process/signal handling. But experimentally I added non-blocking TCP
so e.g. two nodes who otherwise cannot directly communicate with each
other can exchange events over an IRC channel.

- Axel

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Sebastien Lai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Petite Abeille
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is debatable. If it ain't broke don't fix it :)
>events
> I'd support that statement. Although, if you feel like wasting some
> precious time, you could probably reuse my old selfwritten wikiengine
> (which I. initially, had written for LunarCGI):
> https://github.com/beelzebub/LunarCGI/tree/master/etc/oldwiki
>
> It's really hacky and all, but it basically does just about everything
> the current lua-users wiki does...

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Stuart P. Bentley
https://github.com/ignacio/luanode :)

There's also the Tir framework for Mongrel2.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 02:47:32 -0400, Tim Caswell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> :) https://github.com/creationix/luanode
>
> Not sure if I'll ever finish it, but I think it's along the same lines.
>
> I understand busy.  I've got 75 projects on github and I've lost count
> how
> many are still active.
>
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Axel Kittenberger
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> If someone got time to invest, I'd really like to see an event based
>> (web)server like node.js, ruby event machine, twisted or tornade done
>> in Lua. You could start by translating the node.js basic interface and
>> enhance with cooperative multitasking. Anything CGI just isn't the
>> state-of-the-art anymore..I'd do it myself, if I wouldn't have 3
>> FreeSoftware Projects already. Then make a wiki for that
>> lua-event-server-system.
>>
>> With Lsyncd I basically did make an event based daemon, but pretty
>> tailored to its usecase, filesystem monitoring and multiple child
>> process/signal handling. But experimentally I added non-blocking TCP
>> so e.g. two nodes who otherwise cannot directly communicate with each
>> other can exchange events over an IRC channel.
>>
>> - Axel
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Sebastien Lai <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >events
>> > I'd support that statement. Although, if you feel like wasting some
>> > precious time, you could probably reuse my old selfwritten wikiengine
>> > (which I. initially, had written for LunarCGI):
>> > https://github.com/beelzebub/LunarCGI/tree/master/etc/oldwiki
>> >
>> > It's really hacky and all, but it basically does just about everything
>> > the current lua-users wiki does...

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Dirk Laurie
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 08:47:32AM +0200, Tim Caswell wrote:
> I understand busy.  I've got 75 projects on github and I've lost
> count how many are still active.

I've suddenly realized why I love lua-l.  More than any other programming
community I've ever been in, more even than the crowd of expat Eastern
block mathematicians among whom I worked in my first job:

    This is where the INTPs hang out.

A quote from the thread "Understanding INFJ/INTP interactions" on
  http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2749

    Remember that the INTP loses interest in any system that he or
    she has studied and learned the inner workings of.

Dirk

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Stefan Reich
Ha!! I just found out I am a INTP. http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html

Well, I am much more also, but it is a very nice description and I
really tend to feel superbly happy when I am inside my own head. And
more so when I can export my thoughts in a manner that appeals to
people!

> I've suddenly realized why I love lua-l.

Yeah, because there's always someone to discourage you - like when you
propose weird things like using Lua (what is that again? some obscure
language?) for a wiki.

Hehe. But yeah, the list definitely has its own merits. I like that
you actually can get started with something new around here and you
instantly get a lot of communication about it. That is definitely a
nice thing to have.

-Stefan

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 08:47:32AM +0200, Tim Caswell wrote:
>> I understand busy.  I've got 75 projects on github and I've lost
>> count how many are still active.
>
> I've suddenly realized why I love lua-l.  More than any other programming
> community I've ever been in, more even than the crowd of expat Eastern
> block mathematicians among whom I worked in my first job:
>
>    This is where the INTPs hang out.
>
> A quote from the thread "Understanding INFJ/INTP interactions" on
>  http://www.infjs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2749
>
>    Remember that the INTP loses interest in any system that he or
>    she has studied and learned the inner workings of.
>
> Dirk

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?

Petite Abeille

On Sep 23, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Stefan Reich wrote:

> like when you
> propose weird things like using Lua (what is that again? some obscure
> language?) for a wiki.

No one said it was weird to use Lua to implement a wiki. There are a handful of such beasts around [1].

The question at hand was: would it be worthwhile to migrate the existing, well established, lua-users.org wiki to a Lua powered one. As this is mostly a lateral move (replacing one working implementation with another) this seems to be rather pointless.

This question came up before:

etc, etc...

[1] http://lua-users.org/wiki/LibrariesAndBindings

Re: Lua-ified Lua users wiki?