Lua development environments

Gavin Wraith
I have no experience of development environments under
Unix or Windows, but I thought this might be of interest.
The StrongED editor under RISC OS has an "apply" icon on its
toolbar with the property that SHIFT-dragging the icon of a
file containing a script onto it will apply the script to
the contents of the window. Any language can be used for scripting,
Lua in particular. arg[1] holds the name of a pseudofile containing the
text in the window, and the window's contents are replaced by the
standard output from the script.

Excuse my ignorance but are there editors out there on more
popular platforms with this facility?

Gavin Wraith ([hidden email])
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/

Re: Lua development environments

Reuben Thomas-5
On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Gavin Wraith wrote:

> I have no experience of development environments under
> Unix or Windows, but I thought this might be of interest.
> The StrongED editor under RISC OS has an "apply" icon on its
> toolbar with the property that SHIFT-dragging the icon of a
> file containing a script onto it will apply the script to
> the contents of the window. Any language can be used for scripting,
> Lua in particular. arg[1] holds the name of a pseudofile containing the
> text in the window, and the window's contents are replaced by the
> standard output from the script.
>
> Excuse my ignorance but are there editors out there on more
> popular platforms with this facility?

This is a common feature, usually expressed as running an arbitrary
command on the window (or selection) contents.

http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | free, a.  already paid for (Peyton Jones)

Re: Lua development environments

Diego Nehab-3

> Excuse my ignorance but are there editors out there on more
> popular platforms with this facility?

Try the ! command on Vim. It allows you to pipe any selection to any
program and replaces the selection with the program output. I use it
all the time. :)

In fact, the paragraph above was "justified" using the command

     .,.+3!fmt

[]s,
Diego.

Re: Lua development environments

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Wednesday 26 April 2006 10:03 am, Gavin Wraith wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance but are there editors out there on more
> popular platforms with this facility?

any *nix based editor can do that. (vi, emacs, kate, etc..)

--
Javier

Re: Lua development environments

Mike Pall-4-2

Diego Nehab wrote:
> In fact, the paragraph above was "justified" using the command
>
>     .,.+3!fmt

:help gq
:help gw
:help usr_25   (version dependent -> 'Editing formatted text')

IMHO gwap is wonderful. Autodetection of E-Mails also lets it
reformat '>'-quoted or indented text.

Bye,
     Mike

Re: Lua development environments

Diego Nehab-3
Hi,

> :help gq
> :help gw
> :help usr_25   (version dependent -> 'Editing formatted text')
>
> IMHO gwap is wonderful. Autodetection of E-Mails also lets it
> reformat '>'-quoted or indented text.

I know, I know. :) That's what I use in practice. But the
original question was about piping stuff throu external
programs, such as Lua.  That's why I used fmt as an example.

[]s,
Diego.