Lua as a basis for logo style turtle graphics

Lua as a basis for logo style turtle graphics

Robert Osfield
Hi All,

I would like to introduce my eldest daughter to programming, she now
6, loves art, and is kinda curious about computers, so thought
something like logo like I was taught back at school many many years
ago might fit the bill.  Lua is very nearly as simple but much more
powerful language so seems like an excellent fit for educational
purposes and useful life long companion.

Since turtle graphics is very graphical output to what you program,
and Lua is powerful yet simple languae is seems like Logo style Turtle
graphics module for Lua would be a really nice way to teach someone
programming for the first time.  Is there any such modules for Lua?

If not I might just have to write one ;-)

Robert.

Re: Lua as a basis for logo style turtle graphics

Francisco Socal-2
Hi!

Cool, LOGO and Lua are actually favorite languages! Unfortunately I'm not aware of any turtle graphics module for Lua, but I have always wondered how to combine them somehow.

My latest idea was to use Lua VM and libraries and implement a LOGO parser on the top of it, as LOGO syntax still looks simpler for me and more appropriate to teach programming. Any ideas/insights on how to do that?

Francisco

> Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 16:38:44 +0100
> From: "Robert Osfield" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Lua as a basis for logo style turtle graphics
> To: "Lua list" <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to introduce my eldest daughter to programming, she now
> 6, loves art, and is kinda curious about computers, so thought
> something like logo like I was taught back at school many many years
> ago might fit the bill.  Lua is very nearly as simple but much more
> powerful language so seems like an excellent fit for educational
> purposes and useful life long companion.
>
> Since turtle graphics is very graphical output to what you program,
> and Lua is powerful yet simple languae is seems like Logo style Turtle
> graphics module for Lua would be a really nice way to teach someone
> programming for the first time.  Is there any such modules for Lua?
>
> If not I might just have to write one ;-)
>
> Robert.

Re: Lua as a basis for logo style turtle graphics

Robert Osfield
Hi Francisco,

> Hi!
>
> Cool, LOGO and Lua are actually favorite languages! Unfortunately I'm not aware of any turtle graphics module for Lua, but I have always wondered how to combine them somehow.

Oh well, shame there isn't anything off the shelf, just have to get
out a program a solution ourselves :)

> My latest idea was to use Lua VM and libraries and implement a LOGO parser on the top of it, as LOGO syntax still looks simpler for me and more appropriate to teach programming. Any ideas/insights on how to do that?

I'm still realtively new to Lua so I can't provide any insights and
recommendations.  I don't have any problem with the slightly more
complex syntax of Lua over Logo, since its still pretty simple, and
offers a lot more depth in functionality beneath the hood.

My thought was just write write a Lua module that add global functions
for adjusting a global cursor state, and recording the path of that
cursor.  I live and breath 3D graphics so I'd be inclined to do it all
in OpenGL or perhaps in use a scene graph to do all the actual
rendering. Using a scene graph wouild be a bit overkill in some ways
but would make some things easier like adding in your own 3D models,
or textures as you could use all the loaders.   One would have to be
careful about gradually exposing the extra functionality as not to
overload those learning it, but I'm sure this can be done.

Robert.

RE: Lua as a basis for logo style turtle graphics

Bilyk, Alex
Google for "netlogo" perhaps?

On 5/30/06, Bilyk, Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Google for "netlogo" perhaps?

Java based rather than Lua, so not a sweet as it could be :)

I'm having a bash with producing a turle style graphics with
Lua/OpenSceneGraph subset.

Robert.