Lua and TCL/TK

Dirk Laurie-2
1. Can stock Lua do most of what TCL/TK does? (answer: no)
2. Could one write a support package that will enable Lua to  do most
of what TCL/TK does? (answer: yes)
3. Is there a rock for such a package? (answer: yes. it's called ltcltk)
4. Does that rock build effortlessly in the most commonly used current
systems? (answer: no)
5. Does it at least build effortlessly for Lua 5.3 in Debian/Ubuntu?
(answer: no)
6. Has anybody on the list got it working for Lua 5.x on whatever system?
7. Is it worth the effort to get it working or might I just as well
just have done the whole thing in TCL without dragging in Lua?

Re: Lua and TCL/TK

Doug Currie
On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 12:34 AM Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> wrote:
6. Has anybody on the list got [ltcltk] working for Lua 5.x on whatever system?

According to Gunnar's site: http://tset.de/ltcltk/index.html
it's not supported, which is a shame because I found it very useful.

It worked out of the box on Lua 5.2 I believe, based on notes in my copy, where I have a few edits to make it work in 5.3.

for my changes.

Re: Lua and TCL/TK

Xavier Wang

Dirk Laurie <[hidden email]> 于2018年12月3日周一 下午1:34写道:
1. Can stock Lua do most of what TCL/TK does? (answer: no)
2. Could one write a support package that will enable Lua to  do most
of what TCL/TK does? (answer: yes)
3. Is there a rock for such a package? (answer: yes. it's called ltcltk)
4. Does that rock build effortlessly in the most commonly used current
systems? (answer: no)
5. Does it at least build effortlessly for Lua 5.3 in Debian/Ubuntu?
(answer: no)
6. Has anybody on the list got it working for Lua 5.x on whatever system?
7. Is it worth the effort to get it working or might I just as well
just have done the whole thing in TCL without dragging in Lua?

I have been make a Lua/Tcl bidirection binding here[1].

But it lacks documents and test cases :-(

Just make it for fun

regards,
Xavier Wang.

Re: Lua and TCL/TK

Gunnar Zötl
Am 2018-12-03 17:46, schrieb Doug Currie:

> According to Gunnar's site: http://tset.de/ltcltk/index.html
> it's not supported, which is a shame because I found it very useful.

I stopped supporting it because I did not use it any more and because,
well, seemingly nobody else did. I thought about continuing support for
ltcl, without the tk part, because the latter is what creates the most
work. But then my attention drifted elsewhere and the rest is...
negligence ;)

> It worked out of the box on Lua 5.2 I believe, based on notes in my
> copy, where I have a few edits to make it work in 5.3.
>
> See https://github.com/dcurrie/ltcltk
> for my changes.

Nice :)

Gunnar

Re: Lua and TCL/TK

Doug Currie
Coincidentally, ltcltk came in handy today to solve the Advent of Code "Day 10: The Stars Align" challenge.

Spoiler:

Re: Lua and TCL/TK

Niccolo Medici
On 12/4/18, Xavier Wang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been make a Lua/Tcl bidirection binding here[1].

Speaking of "bidirection", Tk doesn't support BiDi. In other words,
its widgets don't support languages written from right to left
(Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Urdu, Syriac and others...)

So I strongly recommend *not* to use Tk.