Lua and OLPC

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lua and OLPC

Gavin Wraith
Would not Lua be a better bet than Squeak for the
OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)? How about pointing
out Lua's educational potential to Seymour Papert?

--
Gavin Wraith ([hidden email])
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua and OLPC

Klaus Ripke
hi

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 10:37:20PM +0100, Gavin Wraith wrote:
> Would not Lua be a better bet than Squeak for the
> OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)?
Probably there is room for both.

I am in contact with OLPC staff about shipping a CDS/ISIS-style
database with the box. It would entail a tiny DB server scripted
using lua and any kind of frontend. There is a guy in Argentina
working on a frontend using Squeak (for schools, of course).
Why not?


regards
Klaus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua and OLPC

Ashwin Hirschi-2
In reply to this post by Gavin Wraith

> Would not Lua be a better bet than Squeak for the
> OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)? How about pointing
> out Lua's educational potential to Seymour Papert?

I don't think Lua would be better suited to the project at all:

Although it's been a while since I played with Squeak, I do remember it's much more than a programming language. Next to Smalltalk it provides a nice environment to play & experiment.

This is something that definitely could be created using Lua. But unfortunately I haven't actually seen anything Lua-based that comes close...

Has anyone else?

Ashwin.
--
no signature is a signature.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua and OLPC

whisper-4
Ashwin Hirschi wrote:

>
>> Would not Lua be a better bet than Squeak for the
>> OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)? How about pointing
>> out Lua's educational potential to Seymour Papert?
>
>
> I don't think Lua would be better suited to the project at all:
>
> Although it's been a while since I played with Squeak, I do remember
> it's much more than a programming language. Next to Smalltalk it
> provides a nice environment to play & experiment.
>
> This is something that definitely could be created using Lua. But
> unfortunately I haven't actually seen anything Lua-based that comes
> close...
>
> Has anyone else?
>
> Ashwin.
Smalltalk/Sqeak is wonderful! I had the privilidge of being employed as
a Smalltalk developer a mumber of years ago and I still think it's an
awesome language.

Having said that, it's got two distinct drawbacks: it's got a HUGE
footprint and the environment/apps/libraries have a quite steep and long
learning curve (about a year for an experienced programmer), although
the core language itself is a snap to learn.

IMO, Lua is a better choice for it's lowest level high level elegance.
One can really learn OO by implementing one's own OO system, a feature
not readily found elsewhere in as conprehensible a form as Lua offers.

Re: the Lua DB for this project. I think integrating Sqllite is the
answer! It's not got a huge footprint and it's got quite decent
performance and it leverages another development community's efforts to
good effect. (NB: Sqllite has found (or will soon find) it's way into
Firefox as a replacement for Sleepycat Berkeley DB.)

Speaking of Firefox, integrating Lua into Firefox would be a great
thing. It could take advantage of Mozilla's platform independent system
interfaces (XPCOM), XML, HTML, SVG, preemptive threads, Sqllite, etc.
and obviates the need for any other sort of GUI. Applications become
webpages (<script language="Lua">...</script>! Should such a device ever
become available, I think it would sweep the world, let along the 3rd! I
would buy one or more in a heartbeat!

Dave LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua and OLPC, Firefox

Klaus Ripke
[sligthly OT]

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 11:35:29PM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
...
> Re: the Lua DB for this project. I think integrating Sqllite is the answer!
I gather they include Sqllite, but theres more to DBs than SQL.

> Speaking of Firefox, integrating Lua into Firefox would be a great
> thing. It could take advantage of Mozilla's platform independent system
> interfaces (XPCOM), XML, HTML, SVG, preemptive threads, Sqllite, etc.
> and obviates the need for any other sort of GUI.
Problem is the project is not even yet 100% sure whether to include firefox.
There are problems with it's memory usage and especially leaks.
They are talking to firefox developers to get this fixed and
apparently are likely to end up with a somewhat stripped down version.

> Applications become webpages (<script language="Lua">...</script>!
We are using ff (or whatever browser will be included, could be Opera),
but have to settle for AJAX talking to a tiny DB/Appserver scripted in Lua.


cheers