Lua XML-RPC

Tim Channon
Is there an alternative to Lua XML_RPC?

Reason:-
Lua XML-RPC is dependent upon LXP

LXP is dependent upon Expat

Expat is not usable. (not portable)

Re: Lua XML-RPC

Matthew Wild
On 5 May 2013 10:57, Tim Channon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Expat is not usable. (not portable)

Hmm, to what platform(s) is expat not portable?

Regards,
Matthew

Re: Lua XML-RPC

Tim Channon
On 05/05/2013 12:34, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 5 May 2013 10:57, Tim Channon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Expat is not usable. (not portable)
>
> Hmm, to what platform(s) is expat not portable?
>
> Regards,
> Matthew

Silence is what I expected, ie. no one knows of an alternative.

I needed to ask. Go to plan B.

If I wanted to discuss expat this is not the place.
expat in effect has dependencies on toolchains not available here, just
how it is.

Re: Lua XML-RPC

Jay Carlson
On May 5, 2013, at 8:06 PM, Tim Channon wrote:

> On 05/05/2013 12:34, Matthew Wild wrote:
>> On 5 May 2013 10:57, Tim Channon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Expat is not usable. (not portable)
>>
>> Hmm, to what platform(s) is expat not portable?
>>

> Silence is what I expected, ie. no one knows of an alternative.

That's an incorrect conclusion to draw.

> I needed to ask. Go to plan B.
>
> If I wanted to discuss expat this is not the place.
> expat in effect has dependencies on toolchains not available here, just
> how it is.

Looks like nobody is interested in playing Twenty Questions with you this weekend. Maybe later.

Jay
["Is sizeof(void*) bigger than a breadbox?"]

Re: Lua XML-RPC

steve donovan
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 2:06 AM, Tim Channon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Silence is what I expected, ie. no one knows of an alternative.

Should not be difficult to replace lxp dependency with a well-crafted pure Lua parser/generator. The Penlight pl.xml module uses Roberto's XML parser as a fallback when lxp is not found and inherits cool XML generation tricks from its original life as a Prosody module.

Re: Lua XML-RPC

Matthew Wild
Hi Tim,

On 6 May 2013 01:06, Tim Channon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 05/05/2013 12:34, Matthew Wild wrote:
>> On 5 May 2013 10:57, Tim Channon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Expat is not usable. (not portable)
>>
>> Hmm, to what platform(s) is expat not portable?

> Silence is what I expected, ie. no one knows of an alternative.

Funny definition of silence you have :)

> I needed to ask. Go to plan B.

There may be other plans available that someone here knows of, but you
don't seem willing to reveal much information about your problem,
which makes it hard to help.

Here follows my best shot though...

> If I wanted to discuss expat this is not the place.
> expat in effect has dependencies on toolchains not available here, just
> how it is.

I would hesitate to say that expat has any such dependencies. It seems
to use autotools or something by default. However I managed to compile
it just fine here with:

  gcc -shared -D HAVE_MEMMOVE -I lib lib/*.c -o expat.so

Of course depending on your system and desired configuration you may
need to play around a little. If you are looking for portability, I
don't think I could recommend expat more for its combination of
simplicity, performance, compliance and portability (though there are
other parsers that excel more in fewer of these areas).

Ok, and here's another something for you... a pure-Lua implementation
of LuaExpat. It's MIT/X11 licensed (same as Prosody). It is *not*
well-tested (we don't use it for anything at the moment), probably
missing small features, and performance won't be as good as native
expat. However if you are just in need of something quick and dirty,
here you go:

    http://hg.prosody.im/trunk/raw-file/tip/fallbacks/lxp.lua

If you use it and fix any issues, patches are welcome (email to
[hidden email] is probably best).

Hope this helps!
Matthew

Re: Lua XML-RPC

Tim Channon
On 06/05/2013 13:05, Matthew Wild wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On 6 May 2013 01:06, Tim Channon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, to what platform(s) is expat not portable?
>
>> Silence is what I expected, ie. no one knows of an alternative.
>
> Funny definition of silence you have :)
>
>> I needed to ask. Go to plan B.
>
> There may be other plans available that someone here knows of, but you
> don't seem willing to reveal much information about your problem,
> which makes it hard to help.
>
> Here follows my best shot though...
>
>> If I wanted to discuss expat this is not the place.
>> expat in effect has dependencies on toolchains not available here, just
>> how it is.
>
> I would hesitate to say that expat has any such dependencies. It seems
> to use autotools or something by default. However I managed to compile
> it just fine here with:
>
>   gcc -shared -D HAVE_MEMMOVE -I lib lib/*.c -o expat.so
>
> Of course depending on your system and desired configuration you may
> need to play around a little. If you are looking for portability, I
> don't think I could recommend expat more for its combination of
> simplicity, performance, compliance and portability (though there are
> other parsers that excel more in fewer of these areas).
>
> Ok, and here's another something for you... a pure-Lua implementation
> of LuaExpat. It's MIT/X11 licensed (same as Prosody). It is *not*
> well-tested (we don't use it for anything at the moment), probably
> missing small features, and performance won't be as good as native
> expat. However if you are just in need of something quick and dirty,
> here you go:
>
>     http://hg.prosody.im/trunk/raw-file/tip/fallbacks/lxp.lua
>
> If you use it and fix any issues, patches are welcome (email to
> [hidden email] is probably best).
>
> Hope this helps!
> Matthew

Yes it does thank you.

Mentioning something is wrong with X for your purposes tends to get lots
of fixers wanting to fix. I've considered and expat build has never
heard of the environment. I'm sure it is fine where intended.

Pure Lua, ah now we are talking. Speed is unlikely to matter.
Worthwhile feedback, of course.

That olden cartoon comes to mind about what the user wanted versus all
the solutions dreamt up by various experts. An old tyre on a rope
hanging from the tree branch...

Whole thing is about trying to help myself.