Lua Workshop this year possibly in Freiburg / SW Germany?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lua Workshop this year possibly in Freiburg / SW Germany?

bil til
This post was updated on .
See my post below (5th aswer post):
The planned date would be now Oct. 12, 2020
(Monday, complete day... we changed from Oct. 5 to Oct 12, because
Oct. 12 and 15 are National holidays in Brazil...)
Workshop site:
https://www.hs-furtwangen.de/en/faculties/digital-media/labs/games-lab/lua-workshop/

Hi all,
we would like to host the Lua Workshop this year in Freiburg (South West
Germany, near the airports of Basel, Karlsruhe, Strasbourg, Stuttgart,
hourly high speed train link to the hub airports of Frankfurt and Zurich
with 2 hour drive time).

I myself regularly visit yearly workshops in semiconductor physics in
Germany with 50-100 attendees, and these are organized like this, that the
workshop typically would start Thursday 13h00 and end Friday 13h00, and a
nice nonformal but prepaid dinner event is included. From many European
cities it thus should be possible to limit the travel time to Thursday
morning and Friday afternoon, so the workshop can be attended quite easily
as a "2 nice days out of work" event (and people who want it more relaxed,
could also add the weekend in Freiburg region, which is a very nice place,
under the larger cities of Germany Freiburg is know to have most sunshine,
warmest temperatures and most flowers).

If you agree, we would consider some date in autumn, e. g. September, for
for the workhsop (as it had been done in past workshops). I would have the
support of a local university near Freiburg in organizing the workshop, and
we all would be honoured very much to organize a nice come-together event
for the lua community.

Just I am very much used, that such workshops would require some
registration fee from the attendees, to allow nice planning for the coffee
breaks and the evening dinner event. Further we would book some professional
smaller meeting hall near the pedestrian inner city of Freiburg and near the
Freiburg railway station (so that it will be easily and fast reached by foot
/ by easy public transport by Freiburg tram system).

For such semiconductor workshops, the fee for company attendees typically
would be 90 EUR "early bird", and 120 EUR for "late registration" (+19% VAT
tax for all "non-company attendees" and for all German attendees). Would
this be accepted by the community? As the previous workshops always had been
free of cost, we would like to clarify / discuss this openly before we
officially would start the planning. This fee then would include the
workshop attendance including coffee breaks and dinner event. The travel and
the hotel would need to be paid by the attendees themselves.

We possibly would like to organize some small industry exhibit (typically
for 5-10 interested companies, just small booths with a small table and 2
chairs each) and we hope to find some additional industry sponsors for
coffee breaks and dinner event, to gain some further money.

Our organizing work of course we will do free of cost, and we would
summarize all clearly in some Spreadsheet file which wil would also show to
future organizers and to PUC Rio people for checking. We hope, that we might
create a small surplus for the workshop, and this then we would either
donate to lua.org, or keep "as reserve" for possible future workshop
deficits, or use to sponsor "long travel presentation attendees" for their
travel costs, mainly maybe the attendees from PUC Rio - we are open to any
further proposals... .

We would expect an attendee number in the range 50-100 as before (and we
would book the workshop location thus, that in worst case 200 people could
attend). In Freiburg you should calculate with hotel costs of 80 EUR or more
for 1 night (there are also lower charge possibilities, e. g. Freiburg has
nice youth hostel with prices in the range 20-30 EUR, and also a nice "city
camping site"). For people arriving already on Wednesday evening, we might
organize some nice Thursday morning 2-3 hours Black forest hiking event
(this then free of cost of course - Freiburg city is in direct hiking
vincinity to the start of the Black forest nature area, this makes the city
a very nice place).

Would this sound fine / a good idea for the community?



--
Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua Workshop this year possibly in Freiburg / SW Germany?

Marc Balmer
Hello!

> Am 10.01.2020 um 08:27 schrieb bil til <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi all,
> we would like to host the Lua Workshop this year in Freiburg (South West
> Germany, near the airports of Basel, Karlsruhe, Strasbourg, Stuttgart,
> hourly high speed train link to the hub airports of Frankfurt and Zurich
> with 2 hour drive time).

Very nice idea.

>
> I myself regularly visit yearly workshops in semiconductor physics in
> Germany with 50-100 attendees, and these are organized like this, that the
> workshop typically would start Thursday 13h00 and end Friday 13h00, and a
> nice nonformal but prepaid dinner event is included. From many European
> cities it thus should be possible to limit the travel time to Thursday
> morning and Friday afternoon, so the workshop can be attended quite easily
> as a "2 nice days out of work" event (and people who want it more relaxed,
> could also add the weekend in Freiburg region, which is a very nice place,
> under the larger cities of Germany Freiburg is know to have most sunshine,
> warmest temperatures and most flowers).
>
> If you agree, we would consider some date in autumn, e. g. September, for
> for the workhsop (as it had been done in past workshops). I would have the
> support of a local university near Freiburg in organizing the workshop, and
> we all would be honoured very much to organize a nice come-together event
> for the lua community.
>
> Just I am very much used, that such workshops would require some
> registration fee from the attendees, to allow nice planning for the coffee
> breaks and the evening dinner event. Further we would book some professional
> smaller meeting hall near the pedestrian inner city of Freiburg and near the
> Freiburg railway station (so that it will be easily and fast reached by foot
> / by easy public transport by Freiburg tram system).
>
> For such semiconductor workshops, the fee for company attendees typically
> would be 90 EUR "early bird", and 120 EUR for "late registration" (+19% VAT
> tax for all "non-company attendees" and for all German attendees). Would
> this be accepted by the community? As the previous workshops always had been
> free of cost, we would like to clarify / discuss this openly before we
> officially would start the planning. This fee then would include the
> workshop attendance including coffee breaks and dinner event, the travel and
> the hotel would need to be paid by the attendees themselves.

I organized a Lua workshop in Frick with Vera Hardmeier some years ago, and it was also not free.  There was a fee to cover dinners etc. and I think it was ok for the participants.

I would definitely pay 100-200 Euros for such an event.

>
> We possibly would like to organize some small industry exhibit (typically
> for 5-10 interested companies, just small booths with a small table and 2
> chairs each) and we hope to find some additional industry sponsors for
> coffee breaks and dinner event, to gain some further money.
>
> Our organizing work of course we will do free of cost, and we would
> summarize all clearly in some Spreadsheet file which wil would also show to
> future organizers and to PUC Rio people for checking. We hope, that we might
> create a small surplus for the workshop, and this then we would either
> donate to lua.org, or keep "as reserve" for possible future workshop
> deficits, or use to sponsor "long travel presentation attendees" for their
> travel costs, mainly maybe the attendees from PUC Rio - we are open to any
> further proposals... .
>
> We would expect an attendee number in the range 50-100 as before (and we
> would book the workshop location thus, that in worst case 200 people could
> attend). In Freiburg you should calculate with hotel costs of 80 EUR or more
> for 1 night (there are also lower charge possibilities, e. g. Freiburg has
> nice youth hostel with prices in the range 20-30 EUR, and also a nice "city
> camping site"). For people arriving already on Wednesday evening, we might
> organize some nice Thursday morning 2-3 hours Black forest hiking event
> (this then free of cost of course - Freiburg city is in direct hiking
> vincinity to the start of the Black forest nature area, this makes the city
> a very nice place).
>
> Would this sound fine / a good idea for the community?

I am not the community, but definitely fine for myself.

Regards,
Marc Balmer

>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua Workshop this year possibly in Freiburg / SW Germany?

Rob Kendrick-2
On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 02:35:00PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> > Would this sound fine / a good idea for the community?
>
> I am not the community, but definitely fine for myself.

Consider me interested, too.

B.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua Workshop this year possibly in Freiburg / SW Germany?

Alexander Nasonov
In reply to this post by bil til
bil til wrote:
> If you agree, we would consider some date in autumn, e. g. September, for
> for the workhsop (as it had been done in past workshops). I would have the
> support of a local university near Freiburg in organizing the workshop, and
> we all would be honoured very much to organize a nice come-together event
> for the lua community.

I'm going to attend EuroBSDCon in Vienna on Sep 19-20. I should be
able to make it to the workshop on other days in September and I'm
interested even if I will have to pay for it.

--
Alex

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua Workshop this year possibly in Freiburg / SW Germany?

Paul Ducklin
In reply to this post by bil til
I am interested enough that I am already checking online if you can ride there from Basel/Mulhouse airport and...

...I completely forgot about the river, which probably means it is not only flat but also quite well supplied with bike routes.

I can’t be sure right now but I’m genuinely interested in such a workshop. Might even try to bring along a colleague...

(It’s about 70km from Basel airport, with a grand total of 100m of climbing. To a first approximation, that’s Flanders flat. A nice day out! Maybe my colleague would ride it too :-)

> On 10 Jan 2020, at 07:28, bil til <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> we would like to host the Lua Workshop this year in Freiburg (South West
> Germany, near the airports of Basel, Karlsruhe, Strasbourg, Stuttgart,
> hourly high speed train link to the hub airports of Frankfurt and Zurich
> with 2 hour drive time).
>
> I myself regularly visit yearly workshops in semiconductor physics in
> Germany with 50-100 attendees, and these are organized like this, that the
> workshop typically would start Thursday 13h00 and end Friday 13h00, and a
> nice nonformal but prepaid dinner event is included. From many European
> cities it thus should be possible to limit the travel time to Thursday
> morning and Friday afternoon, so the workshop can be attended quite easily
> as a "2 nice days out of work" event (and people who want it more relaxed,
> could also add the weekend in Freiburg region, which is a very nice place,
> under the larger cities of Germany Freiburg is know to have most sunshine,
> warmest temperatures and most flowers).
>
> If you agree, we would consider some date in autumn, e. g. September, for
> for the workhsop (as it had been done in past workshops). I would have the
> support of a local university near Freiburg in organizing the workshop, and
> we all would be honoured very much to organize a nice come-together event
> for the lua community.
>
> Just I am very much used, that such workshops would require some
> registration fee from the attendees, to allow nice planning for the coffee
> breaks and the evening dinner event. Further we would book some professional
> smaller meeting hall near the pedestrian inner city of Freiburg and near the
> Freiburg railway station (so that it will be easily and fast reached by foot
> / by easy public transport by Freiburg tram system).
>
> For such semiconductor workshops, the fee for company attendees typically
> would be 90 EUR "early bird", and 120 EUR for "late registration" (+19% VAT
> tax for all "non-company attendees" and for all German attendees). Would
> this be accepted by the community? As the previous workshops always had been
> free of cost, we would like to clarify / discuss this openly before we
> officially would start the planning. This fee then would include the
> workshop attendance including coffee breaks and dinner event, the travel and
> the hotel would need to be paid by the attendees themselves.
>
> We possibly would like to organize some small industry exhibit (typically
> for 5-10 interested companies, just small booths with a small table and 2
> chairs each) and we hope to find some additional industry sponsors for
> coffee breaks and dinner event, to gain some further money.
>
> Our organizing work of course we will do free of cost, and we would
> summarize all clearly in some Spreadsheet file which wil would also show to
> future organizers and to PUC Rio people for checking. We hope, that we might
> create a small surplus for the workshop, and this then we would either
> donate to lua.org, or keep "as reserve" for possible future workshop
> deficits, or use to sponsor "long travel presentation attendees" for their
> travel costs, mainly maybe the attendees from PUC Rio - we are open to any
> further proposals... .
>
> We would expect an attendee number in the range 50-100 as before (and we
> would book the workshop location thus, that in worst case 200 people could
> attend). In Freiburg you should calculate with hotel costs of 80 EUR or more
> for 1 night (there are also lower charge possibilities, e. g. Freiburg has
> nice youth hostel with prices in the range 20-30 EUR, and also a nice "city
> camping site"). For people arriving already on Wednesday evening, we might
> organize some nice Thursday morning 2-3 hours Black forest hiking event
> (this then free of cost of course - Freiburg city is in direct hiking
> vincinity to the start of the Black forest nature area, this makes the city
> a very nice place).
>
> Would this sound fine / a good idea for the community?
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lua Workshop this year possibly in Freiburg / SW Germany?

bil til
Thank you for your answers.

Just concerning September I missed the holidays of our local university here
... they return back from summer holiday only end of September. And in
October (+end of September) the conference halls in Freiburg are already
quite full ... . So this 2-day schedule will become difficult.

We now set the Monday, October 5, as the proposed date for the workshop.
Start presumably at about 9am,
and end at 6pm (so only 1 day - complete Monday), and we will organize a
nice workshop dinner event on Monday evening. So you could travel to
Freiburg on Sunday, and return home on Tuesday.

Would this date be fine, or are there severe objections?



--
Sent from: http://lua.2524044.n2.nabble.com/Lua-l-f2524044.html