Lua Workshop 2018

Roberto Ierusalimschy
The Lua workshop 2018 will be held in Vilnius, Lithuania, on Sep 6-7,
cortesy of CUJO (https://www.cujo.com/).

More details soon.

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Ką Mykolas
That was unexpected! Greetings and welcome to my hometown!

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018, 14:41 Roberto Ierusalimschy, <[hidden email]> wrote:
The Lua workshop 2018 will be held in Vilnius, Lithuania, on Sep 6-7,
cortesy of CUJO (https://www.cujo.com/).

More details soon.

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Pierre Chapuis
On Sat, Jul 7, 2018, at 13:41, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> The Lua workshop 2018 will be held in Vilnius, Lithuania, on Sep 6-7,
> cortesy of CUJO (https://www.cujo.com/).
>
> More details soon.

Are those dates sure enough that we should already buy plane tickets?

Pierre Chapuis

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2018, at 13:41, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> > The Lua workshop 2018 will be held in Vilnius, Lithuania, on Sep 6-7,
> > cortesy of CUJO (https://www.cujo.com/).
> >
> > More details soon.
>
> Are those dates sure enough that we should already buy plane tickets?

Yes!

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Registrations to attend the Lua Workshop 2018 are now open:
http://www.lua.org/wshop18.html#register

To register, send a message to [hidden email] including your
full name and the name of your company or organization, if applicable.
As confirmation, your name will appear in the list of participants:
http://www.lua.org/wshop18.html#participants

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
If you'd like to speak at the workshop, please send a tentative title
and a short abstract with your registration:
http://www.lua.org/wshop18.html#register

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Lourival Vieira Neto
On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 10:12 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 7, 2018, at 13:41, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
>> > The Lua workshop 2018 will be held in Vilnius, Lithuania, on Sep 6-7,
>> > cortesy of CUJO (https://www.cujo.com/).
>> >
>> > More details soon.
>>
>> Are those dates sure enough that we should already buy plane tickets?
>
> Yes!

On behalf of CUJO, I would like to suggest to change from Vilnius to
our Kaunas office. We have a bigger and better structure over there.
So we can host more people and record the talks. Kaunas is just ~1h
away from Vilnius by car and I think most of international flights to
Lithuania will arrive from Vilnius anyway. Please, let me know if it's
OK for everyone. Especially for the ones that have been looking for
tickets already.

Lourival Vieira Neto

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Ignacio Burgueño-2
Hello. Has the place been definitely set? I see no mention at http://www.lua.org/wshop18.html about neither the city nor the venue for the workshop.

​Regards,
Ignacio

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Thijs Schreijer

On 20 Jul 2018, at 14:06, Ignacio Burgueño <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello. Has the place been definitely set? I see no mention at http://www.lua.org/wshop18.html about neither the city nor the venue for the workshop.

​Regards,
Ignacio

Considering the extra travel involved, if possible, I’d prefer Vilnius as the workshop location. Hope that works out.

Regards
Thijs

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> Considering the extra travel involved, if possible, I’d prefer Vilnius as the workshop location. Hope that works out.

Lourival sent a message suggesting to change places 9 days ago. There were
ZERO answers! We cannot go on changing cities forever...

(BTW, there are direct buses from the Vilnius airport to Kaunas, if
that helps.)

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On 20 July 2018 at 15:26, Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (BTW, there are direct buses from the Vilnius airport to Kaunas, if
> that helps.)

not sure if that would be enough for those travelling alone, first
time in the country, not speaking the local language (and non-native
English speakers can have difficulty when encountering a new
non-native accent).

personally, i still want to go, and consider the extra bus adventure a
plus to see a little more of a renowned beautiful country.... but is a
little scary to say the least.

Javier

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Hisham
On 20 July 2018 at 11:26, Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Considering the extra travel involved, if possible, I’d prefer Vilnius as the workshop location. Hope that works out.
>
> Lourival sent a message suggesting to change places 9 days ago. There were
> ZERO answers! We cannot go on changing cities forever...

There were zero answers from the Lua Team as well. As far as I could
tell from that email, a suggestion was made but the change had not
been made official.

-- Hisham

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Ką Mykolas
Well, non-native English should not be the problem in Vilnius ;) Also, I'm willing to help as a local guide.
I guess, some more people could be arranged to help with navigation and travel.

Btw, UBER -> Train Station -> Kaunas sounds like way easier solution.

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 6:08 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 20 July 2018 at 15:26, Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> (BTW, there are direct buses from the Vilnius airport to Kaunas, if
> that helps.)

not sure if that would be enough for those travelling alone, first
time in the country, not speaking the local language (and non-native
English speakers can have difficulty when encountering a new
non-native accent).

personally, i still want to go, and consider the extra bus adventure a
plus to see a little more of a renowned beautiful country.... but is a
little scary to say the least.

--
Javier

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Lourival Vieira Neto
On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 12:08 PM Javier Guerra Giraldez
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 July 2018 at 15:26, Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > (BTW, there are direct buses from the Vilnius airport to Kaunas, if
> > that helps.)
>
> not sure if that would be enough for those travelling alone, first
> time in the country, not speaking the local language (and non-native
> English speakers can have difficulty when encountering a new
> non-native accent).

I think that applies to most countries in the world. We are compiling
transportation and hotel information to facilitate this.

> personally, i still want to go, and consider the extra bus adventure a
> plus to see a little more of a renowned beautiful country.... but is a
> little scary to say the least.

We are used to receive people from around the world in our office in
Kaunas. Sorry to disappoint, but it's not that adventurous (nor scary ;-).

Lourival Vieira Neto

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

> There were zero answers from the Lua Team as well. As far as I could
> tell from that email, a suggestion was made but the change had not
> been made official.

Well, it sounded to us quite of implicit. Does someone have objections
if we do A, which is better for us? No objections? It is not a big
stretch to imagine that we will do A...

Anyway, the question was formally asked to us today, we are answering
today. The workshop will be held in Kaunas.

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Marc Balmer
I looked at my travel options. Absolutely no sane travel options from Switzerland to Kaunas, checking Vilnius (it’s a 100 km ride, afaict), that might be better.

Am 20.07.2018 um 18:20 schrieb Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]>:

>> There were zero answers from the Lua Team as well. As far as I could
>> tell from that email, a suggestion was made but the change had not
>> been made official.
>
> Well, it sounded to us quite of implicit. Does someone have objections
> if we do A, which is better for us? No objections? It is not a big
> stretch to imagine that we will do A...
>
> Anyway, the question was formally asked to us today, we are answering
> today. The workshop will be held in Kaunas.
>
> -- Roberto

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Ignacio Burgueño-2

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM Roberto Ierusalimschy <[hidden email]> wrote:

Anyway, the question was formally asked to us today, we are answering
today. The workshop will be held in Kaunas.

Thanks, Roberto. It would be good to have this information clearly stated on the web page.  Some people still think Vilnius is the city where the workshop will be held.

Regards,
Ignacio

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Pierre Chapuis
For those of you who don't have their tickets and live in Europe, don't suppose you have to go through Vilnius, that isn't always the case. For instance, I found a direct flight from Beauvais (a city close to Paris) to Kaunas, while I didn't have any good direct flight option to Vilnius on the Wednesday.

My plan is to arrive in Kaunas on Wednesday 5, stay there for the Workshop, then take a train (or bus) to Vilnius on the Friday evening and stay in Vilnius until Sunday, because I might as well take some time to visit the city while I am in Lithuania.

Pierre Chapuis

Re: Lua Workshop 2018

Pierre Chapuis
On Sun, Jul 22, 2018, at 11:24, Pierre Chapuis wrote:
I found a direct flight from Beauvais (a city close to Paris) to Kaunas, while I didn't have any good direct flight option to Vilnius on the Wednesday.

Well, I thought I had found one, but I can't find it again today, so ignore this...

I will go through Vilnius in that case.