Lua Workshop 2013

Alexander Gladysh
Hi, list!

Any plans on the subject?

Alexander.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Matthew Frazier
On Mar 3, 2013, at 6:50 , Alexander Gladysh wrote:
> Hi, list!
>
> Any plans on the subject?
>
> Alexander.

I would offer to organize LW13 at NC State University in Raleigh, NC, US, but it's probably not such a good idea to have two Lua Workshops in the southeast US in a row. 2014 maybe? (I'll have more conference-organizing experience then anyway. :-P )

That said, we do have some pretty sweet teleconferencing equipment at State. It might be interesting this year to try and set up some "satellite" Lua Workshops where people who can't or don't want to leave their respective countries and regions could watch the talks live, assuming the main location has suitable broadcasting facilities.

Thanks,
Matthew Frazier
http://leafstorm.us/

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Erik Hougaard
On 03-03-2013 12:50, Alexander Gladysh wrote:
> Any plans on the subject?

Since this is the year for Lua's 20-years anniversary  - Rio seems to be
the right place for it ? (As we talked about at the workshop last year)..

/Erik

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Steve Litt
On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 09:41:11 -0500
Matthew Frazier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2013, at 6:50 , Alexander Gladysh wrote:
> > Hi, list!
> >
> > Any plans on the subject?
> >
> > Alexander.
>
> I would offer to organize LW13 at NC State University in Raleigh, NC,
> US, but it's probably not such a good idea to have two Lua Workshops
> in the southeast US in a row. 2014 maybe?

If and when you do it, please let me know. Raleigh is only 590 miles
from me, a quick jaunt up I95 to I40. Often, when I attend workshops
and conferences, I come as a reporter and write it up in one of my
magazines. Here are some examples:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200107/200107.htm

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200206/200206.htm

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Hadriel Kaplan

We can host it in Boston if Rio doesn't work out.  We just hosted an interim meeting of a couple of IETF and W3C working groups last month and it went well, including free remote live participation.

But I think Rio would be more appropriate for this one. :)

-hadriel

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Erik Hougaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03-03-2013 12:50, Alexander Gladysh wrote:
>>
>> Any plans on the subject?
>>
> Since this is the year for Lua's 20-years anniversary  - Rio seems to be the
> right place for it ? (As we talked about at the workshop last year)..

Makes sense. Can Lua team please confirm that it is the current plan?

Otherwise I'll start figuring out how to organize Lua WS in Moscow
this year. :-)

Alexander.

P.S. If anyone is interested in visiting Russia to give an advanced
talk on a large IT-conference here, please contact me off-list.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Alexander Gladysh
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Alexander Gladysh <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Erik Hougaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 03-03-2013 12:50, Alexander Gladysh wrote:
>>>
>>> Any plans on the subject?
>>>
>> Since this is the year for Lua's 20-years anniversary  - Rio seems to be the
>> right place for it ? (As we talked about at the workshop last year)..
>
> Makes sense. Can Lua team please confirm that it is the current plan?

So... any news? :-)

Alexander.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Alexander Gladysh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Since this is the year for Lua's 20-years anniversary  - Rio seems to be the
> >> right place for it ? (As we talked about at the workshop last year)..
> >
> > Makes sense. Can Lua team please confirm that it is the current plan?
>
> So... any news? :-)

Sorry for the delay.

We are planning some celebration for Lua's 20-year anniversary, but we
are not thinking about a workshop down here.  The workshop we organized
here in 2009 was a big success, but it attracted very few people from
outside Brazil (four, IIRC). Language continues to be a barrier (most
Brasilians would expect most events to be in Portuguese).

So, we are thinking about some non-technical event here at PUC, and
a "regular" workshop, probably in Europe (Toulouse?).

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Benjamin Cabé
>So, we are thinking about some non-technical event here at PUC, and
>a "regular" workshop, probably in Europe (Toulouse?).

Toulouse? Sure!
I'll check with the Capitole du Libre team to see if we can organize a Lua
workshop track as part of this bigger open-source conference which last
year was co-hosting events from KDE, Django, ...

Benjamin.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

petah
>We are planning some celebration for Lua's 20-year anniversary, but we
>are not thinking about a workshop down here.  The workshop we organized
>here in 2009 was a big success, but it attracted very few people from
>outside Brazil (four, IIRC). Language continues to be a barrier (most
>Brasilians would expect most events to be in Portuguese).
>
>So, we are thinking about some non-technical event here at PUC

what kind of event do you have in mind?

When I lived in Floripa I'd moonlight as a DJ using my own Lua-powered MIDI router [1], incl. during carnaval 2005 @ praia Brava, Itajaí [2].

No language barrier for my non-Brazilian friends but they didn't visit to talk programming :)

-- p

[1] http://www.hackerdjs.com/software/midibots.html
[2] http://www.djpetah.com/photos/thumbnails/kiwibar07/index.html
ps: ignore the corny dj hype

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Gaspard Bucher

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:
>So, we are thinking about some non-technical event here at PUC, and
>a "regular" workshop, probably in Europe (Toulouse?).

Toulouse? Sure!
I'll check with the Capitole du Libre team to see if we can organize a Lua
workshop track as part of this bigger open-source conference which last
year was co-hosting events from KDE, Django, ...

Benjamin.

If the event is in Toulouse, we could organise some fun events and workshops (live coding Lua on Raspberry Pi, live OpenGL shader coding with Lua, creating electronic music with Lua and novation Launchpad, etc). I'm all for Toulouse ;-).

Gaspard

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Alexander Gladysh
On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Gaspard Bucher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> >So, we are thinking about some non-technical event here at PUC, and
>> >a "regular" workshop, probably in Europe (Toulouse?).
>> >

>> Toulouse? Sure!
>> I'll check with the Capitole du Libre team to see if we can organize a Lua
>> workshop track as part of this bigger open-source conference which last
>> year was co-hosting events from KDE, Django, ...

> If the event is in Toulouse, we could organise some fun events and workshops
> (live coding Lua on Raspberry Pi, live OpenGL shader coding with Lua,
> creating electronic music with Lua and novation Launchpad, etc). I'm all for
> Toulouse ;-).

So... any news?

Alexander.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Alexander Gladysh
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Alexander Gladysh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Gaspard Bucher <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Toulouse? Sure!
>>> I'll check with the Capitole du Libre team to see if we can organize a Lua
>>> workshop track as part of this bigger open-source conference which last
>>> year was co-hosting events from KDE, Django, ...
>
>> If the event is in Toulouse, we could organise some fun events and workshops
>> (live coding Lua on Raspberry Pi, live OpenGL shader coding with Lua,
>> creating electronic music with Lua and novation Launchpad, etc). I'm all for
>> Toulouse ;-).
>
> So... any news?

Hi, everyone!

It is now June. Would be cool to have some estimates on date and place
of the Workshop this year, so one will be able to plan :-)

Best,
Alexander.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Alexander Gladysh
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Alexander Gladysh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Alexander Gladysh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 3:23 PM, Gaspard Bucher <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If the event is in Toulouse, we could organise some fun events and workshops
>>> (live coding Lua on Raspberry Pi, live OpenGL shader coding with Lua,
>>> creating electronic music with Lua and novation Launchpad, etc). I'm all for
>>> Toulouse ;-).
>>
>> So... any news?
>
> Hi, everyone!
>
> It is now June. Would be cool to have some estimates on date and place
> of the Workshop this year, so one will be able to plan :-)
>
> Best,
> Alexander.

Hi, everyone!

June is almost over :-)

Any news about the Workshop for this year?

Alexander.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Benjamin Cabé
Hello Alexander, all,

We are still discussing a few things with Roberto and the organizers in
Toulouse but we should be able to give more information on the ML really
soon.

Benjamin--

Le 30/06/13 19:50, « Alexander Gladysh » <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Alexander Gladysh <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM, Alexander Gladysh
>><[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> So... any news?
>>
>> Hi, everyone!
>>
>> It is now June. Would be cool to have some estimates on date and place
>> of the Workshop this year, so one will be able to plan :-)
>>
>> Best,
>> Alexander.
>
>Hi, everyone!
>
>June is almost over :-)
>
>Any news about the Workshop for this year?
>
>Alexander.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Alexander Gladysh
Hi, Benjamin!

Thank you for the response (and the effort!).

Can you name rough dates for the workshop if things will go as planned?

Best,
Alexander.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Benjamin Cabé <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Alexander, all,
>
> We are still discussing a few things with Roberto and the organizers in
> Toulouse but we should be able to give more information on the ML really
> soon.
>
> Benjamin--
>

> Le 30/06/13 19:50, « Alexander Gladysh » <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>>On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Alexander Gladysh <[hidden email]>
>>wrote:

>>> Hi, everyone!
>>>
>>> It is now June. Would be cool to have some estimates on date and place
>>> of the Workshop this year, so one will be able to plan :-)
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Alexander.
>>
>>Hi, everyone!
>>
>>June is almost over :-)
>>
>>Any news about the Workshop for this year?
>>
>>Alexander.

Re: Lua Workshop 2013

Benjamin Cabé
>Can you name rough dates for the workshop if things will go as planned?

It would be the weekend of Nov. 23-24 :)

Cheers!
Benjamin.