Lua Workshop 2008

Matthew M. Burke
Lua folks,

Well, I had hoped to be able to attend HOPL and help organize a BOF session, but I won't be able to make it.

So instead I think it's high time to start planning for a 2008 Lua workshop and I am volunteering to host it at George Washington University in Washington, DC. Even better, I've checked with my department chair and he's on board with the idea (after making sure to mention that the department was short on cash... :) At this point I am entirely open as to times, format, etc. So let me know what you think.

Matt

Re: Lua Workshop 2008

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
> I think it's high time to start planning for a 2008 Lua workshop
> and I am volunteering to host it at George Washington University in
> Washington, DC.

Very nice offer! Thanks!
When do you think it'd be a good time?

Washington, DC is good for us. There are even direct flights from Rio!
Our only concern is that some people in the Lua community seem to have
problems with going to the US and so would prefer Europe or even South
America. (We still hope that Rici Lake and Mike Pall will show up for a
Lua Workshop some day.) :-)

Anyway, thanks again for the offer. We're right now getting ready for
HOPL III and then we'll be busy with the Gems. So, could we postpone the
decision to say October, assuming you mean to hold the workshop after
June 2008?

In any case, you're on the organizing committee for 2008!

Re: Lua Workshop 2008

Etan Reisner
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 12:16:51PM -0400, Matthew M. Burke wrote:
<snip>
> <snip> I think it's high time to start planning for a 2008 Lua
> workshop and I am volunteering to host it at George Washington
> University in Washington, DC.

I'm going to throw my support in for this, because I am in the DC area and
am also unlikely to be able to make it to HOPL. Any help with planning,
scheduling, etc. that I can be of use for just let me know.

	-Etan

Re: Lua Workshop 2008

Javier Guerra Giraldez
On Thursday 24 May 2007, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> Washington, DC is good for us. There are even direct flights from Rio!
> Our only concern is that some people in the Lua community seem to have
> problems with going to the US and so would prefer Europe or even South
> America. (We still hope that Rici Lake and Mike Pall will show up for a
> Lua Workshop some day.) :-)

didn't know about these problems with the US (unless they're
political/philosophical/ethical problems, which would be totally
understandable, IMHO).

personally, i have a low probability of going to north america for the
workshop; but in europe... the probability rapidly approaches zero (too
expensive, none of my clients care about Lua, even if they indirectly benefit
from it)

so, while i'm still hoping about a south america workshop; for me it's (a
little) better on US than europe.

--
Javier

Re: Lua Workshop 2008

Roberto Ierusalimschy
> On Thursday 24 May 2007, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
> > Washington, DC is good for us. There are even direct flights from Rio!
> > Our only concern is that some people in the Lua community seem to have
> > problems with going to the US and so would prefer Europe or even South
> > America. (We still hope that Rici Lake and Mike Pall will show up for a
> > Lua Workshop some day.) :-)
>
> didn't know about these problems with the US (unless they're
> political/philosophical/ethical problems, which would be totally
> understandable, IMHO).

There is a big problem with the US about visas, independently of
political/philosophical/ethical points of view. In many countries
(Brazil included), it is not easy nowadays to get a visa to the US.
Many events in the US are having problems with this. (E.g., ACM says
that "International registrants should be particularly aware and careful
about visa requirements, and should plan travel well in advance.")

Re: Lua Workshop 2008

Matthew M. Burke
On Thu, 24 May 2007 14:23:07, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
When do you think it'd be a good time?
could we postpone the decision to say October,

I know that between late May and early August there is housing available on campus at quite cheap rates (roughly $20/night/person). OTOH travel is probably more expensive at that time of year.

On  Fri, 25 May 2007 08:04:40,  Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:

didn't know about these problems with the US (unless they're political/philosophical/ethical problems, which would be totally understandable, IMHO)
Yeah, I often have political/philosophical/ethical problems with the US as well (no smiley, I'm serious). OTOH, Roberto brings up the practical problem about Visas. I've not had to deal with that aspect of organizing meetings before, but I gather that we have resources here at the university to help with that. And my chair says that the department is more than willing to help by sponsoring attendees, etc. As a last ditch, I have a cousin who works in the consular division of the state department----maybe she can pull strings :)

Anyway, I'm more than happy to support however I can whatever the community decides is best. One advantage to deciding as early as possible is that it gives me more time to try and round up financial support.

Matt

Re: Lua Workshop 2008

fatfatson
Hi everyone,  i'm just giving an extremly fantastic idea:
Is there any possibility that you will have the conference in CHINA?
first,  it's very easy to get the visa of it,
second, the next term of Olympic game is going to be hold in China, it's a so good supplementary to the conference:)

just imagining...

btw: lua is widely used in my company, about 50% projects are written by it, we like it very much~